Brand Talk - Wilson Staff

Im excited that more THPers are going to get to spend time with the entire Wilson crew at #PersonalDistance this year and even more excited that a group of THPers will get to be on their staff and get a 14 club deal in THP Legacy. I mean what golfer wouldnt want that?

Don't know too many people that would turn that down.

Im excited that more THPers are going to get to spend time with the entire Wilson crew at #PersonalDistance this year and even more excited that a group of THPers will get to be on their staff and get a 14 club deal in THP Legacy. I mean what golfer wouldnt want that?

This guy would.

I decided to bump this up after my Wilson experience this weekend. The nearest Wilson retailer sits about 4 hours away from me but my work does take me in that direction periodically. Previously I have hit the new irons and the hybrid and been very impressed with them to the point of considering switching to some Staff clubs. This weekend I tinkered with drivers to kill some time between work obligations. The D200 driver outperformed everything else on centered hits but the 46" shaft is way too long for me and the whole club too light. Unfortunately, they had no other shafts for clubs which I think is a challenge for Wilson.

Then I talked to the staff to at least learn about the shaft options. Keep in mind that this a golf store with pretty informed staff people. They could not find their Staff book so checked the options on the Wilson website only to find that those are still the 2014 options (which may or may not be current). Based on their information, all the shaft options were significant price increases. When the staff realized that I wanted a sub 45" driver, they suggested Titleist and led me over to their fitting cart, which had several shaft options for demo at shorter than standard lengths. Had I not been determined to stay in the hunt for the D200, the Titleist set up would have been very attractive.

This has to be so tough for Wilson. First, the distributors are relatively few compared to the competition. Second, they just do not seem to be offering the fitting options some of the other OEMs are. Third, I think retailers may be less informed about Wilson just because fewer people are asking about/testing them. They have to fix all of this while also trying to encourage more people to try their brand. I wish them the best in this endeavor as they are producing some excellent equipment (at least for my game).

Yea that was something I sort of worried about BMiles. You have what is a pretty good head there, but if you're just looking at it from an OTR standpoint, it's not going to be ideal for just everybody. We saw that live and in person in October, but of course they had a rather robust fitting option there at the Innovation Center.

I will say that it's something they recognize and are working on according to what they told us. One thing I think is very cool (and they started doing a couple years ago) is a sort of traveling grass-roots fitting program where they have what is essentially a mobile Tour/Fitting van that they take to locations. If I remember correctly, the can fit and build on the spot with that setup.

It's a big challenge either way. One that carries quite a bit of risk and is certainly not inexpensive.

Yea that was something I sort of worried about BMiles. You have what is a pretty good head there, but if you're just looking at it from an OTR standpoint, it's not going to be ideal for just everybody. We saw that live and in person in October, but of course they had a rather robust fitting option there at the Innovation Center.

I will say that it's something they recognize and are working on according to what they told us. One thing I think is very cool (and they started doing a couple years ago) is a sort of traveling grass-roots fitting program where they have what is essentially a mobile Tour/Fitting van that they take to locations. If I remember correctly, the can fit and build on the spot with that setup.

It's a big challenge either way. One that carries quite a bit of risk and is certainly not inexpensive.

This is correct. In fact GG and I took the THP Tour Van to two of them last year and they were fitting and building iron sets and drivers for people on the spot.

I love that idea. Just a great way to reach out and provides what could be a fun experience for the consumer as well.

I love that idea. Just a great way to reach out and provides what could be a fun experience for the consumer as well.

It was really interesting to see. They had Duo Ball packs setup for people to try that signed up for their mailing list. They had full fittings going on that were incredibly well done and they had their building van outside that custom built the sets. It was really something unique.

This is correct. In fact GG and I took the THP Tour Van to two of them last year and they were fitting and building iron sets and drivers for people on the spot.

Do you know how we find out about these? Their website "Events & Demo Days" page is blank. If I could time a business trip correctly, this would be a fantastic option. I just do not want to be in the position of buying their clubs without demoing the exact (or very close) set up that would work best for me.

Do you know how we find out about these? Their website "Events & Demo Days" page is blank. If I could time a business trip correctly, this would be a fantastic option. I just do not want to be in the position of buying their clubs without demoing the exact (or very close) set up that would work best for me.

They update their website when the schedule is ready. They also put out the word via their social media channels.

I wasn't aware they did this. That's really, really cool. Best of both worlds - custom fitting plus the instant gratitude of buying a set OTR.

I agree it has to be a big cost just getting fully outfitted carts out there - don't envy them that. Then with some retailers cutting golf floor space, it becomes even more difficult to get your foot in the door. Our local golf shop, which is pretty big, only carries on the floor the full lines from Ping, TM, Titleist and Callaway. There are pieces from other companies (like Mizuno irons) but some companies he used to carry (like Cleveland/Srixon) are gone completely to make room for more soft goods (higher profit margin according to him).

I agree it has to be a big cost just getting fully outfitted carts out there - don't envy them that. Then with some retailers cutting golf floor space, it becomes even more difficult to get your foot in the door. Our local golf shop, which is pretty big, only carries on the floor the full lines from Ping, TM, Titleist and Callaway. There are pieces from other companies (like Mizuno irons) but some companies he used to carry (like Cleveland/Srixon) are gone completely to make room for more soft goods (higher profit margin according to him).

A golf store that carries multilines of clubs and does not carry Cleveland wedges...Never seen that before. Not a lot of sense to rid the #1 (or 2 selling wedge out there).

At the end of the month, I have to be in Des Moines for some continuing education. I found a retailer that supposedly carries the full Wilson offering of clubs. I plan to see what they have and try it out. I will definitely report back on their 'Wilson' knowledge. I have high hopes. I know the store, its been around forever, and they have always been very knowledgeable in the past.

EDIT: And I'll definitely be looking out for a Wilson demo day event in my area. If all else fails, I guess I could make a trip to chicago.

~Rock

A golf store that carries multilines of clubs and does not carry Cleveland wedges...Never seen that before.

Dumped them last year. Part of it, I think, is that he is a Titleist pro and the Vokey section is huge. Also he is the only authorized full-line Ping retailer within several hours and Ping is his most profitable brand (according to him) and he always has a lot of space dedicated to them. He said the Clevelands had stopped selling well the past few years for him.

Wilson tour van is in Florida at the moment. I think they then go to Texas or somewhere like that before heading back to the Midwest (don't quote me on that) based on weather. If you follow Nick Geyer on Twitter you can get a good idea where they're at. Missed him in Boca by 50 miles last week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson tour van is in Florida at the moment. I think they then go to Texas or somewhere like that before heading back to the Midwest (don't quote me on that) based on weather. If you follow Nick Geyer on Twitter you can get a good idea where they're at. Missed him in Boca by 50 miles last week...

they sure are. I have an appointment with Nick on friday morning. Can't wait to try out the new stuff!

they sure are. I have an appointment with Nick on friday morning. Can't wait to try out the new stuff!
That's awesome! Tell him to swing through NW Arkansas on his journey.

It was really interesting to see. They had Duo Ball packs setup for people to try that signed up for their mailing list. They had full fittings going on that were incredibly well done and they had their building van outside that custom built the sets. It was really something unique.

Very cool to hear about. Cleveland Golf did this with 5 or 6 retail vans a few years back. it was really cool, custom fit and built on the spot for you. I'll be looking for the Wilson Van hopefully they'll make it up this way.

Seriously give the D200 driver a shot. Stock shaft might not be ideal but the feel on that club is awesome (IMO). Make sure the V4 irons get a couple swings too!

Heard back from Nick. He will be in the DC area the week of April 15. Definitely going to seek him out.

Have fun swinging the clubs.

Really, really cool that they will build them to spec on the spot.

I have only seen 1 Wilson Staff demo day up here and that was 3 years ago. Would love to see if they do another one close by.

Met the great people from Wilson this morning, swung some irons and rolled some putts. I won't add any pictures because the ones already posted are nicer than my phone, but great clubs. I'm a fan of the tour M3 and will likely be gaming them. To be honest I'm not good enough for the other 2 blades but they're stunning in person. Erky made an appearance too and confirmed his love for the V4. Follow Nick Geyer on twitter if you're interested in giving WS a shot, he drives the tour van and they're making the rounds. Great folks!

Now that the upcoming 2015 Your Proto w/ Wilson Staff event has been announced, I came back to this thread to re-read my response as well as others. I think it's clear we are seeing an evolution in how W/S is approaching growing the brand. Must have good products, first-and-foremost. Then, how are they reaching out to potential customers? As a W/S player for #THPLegacy, I'm thrilled to see W/S continuing to grow, and am excited by some of their current products. Definitely looking forward to what they are currently working on. Anyone have changes in their original thoughts?

Skim alert. Does WS offer tours and/or fittings at their HQ?

Back