Checked my Swingweight

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
SW has been a popular topic this week on here and I have became overly interested in it myself. I used the DIY method "find balance point/weigh/convert" to check some of the clubs in my bag. I didn't get through all of my irons but I was sort of shocked at what I saw with a few. Here are the results for anyone interested. I plan to do the rest of my iron set and try to match them as close as possible.

Driver = D2.4
As Advertised =D4
Mods=Changed grip tip trim 1/4"
Going to add a 2G heavier weight to get it up a little.

3W. = D3.2
As advertised =D3
Mods=changed grip, butt trim 1/4"
Added 5g tip weight

3H. = C7.3. "I was blown away here"
As Advertised =D1
Mods= changed grip, butt trim 1/2"
Def. going to address this one

4i. = D1.7
As advertised =D3.5
Mods=changed grip

9i. =D0.7
As advertised =D3.5
Mods=changed grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you seen any correlation between performance and the swing weight variances? i'm curious to know whether any of the more drastic changes lead to performance improvements.

The hybrid I could tell something was up but I never dreamed it was off that much. I very rarely hit my 9i "never in that range" but there are a few of my irons that I hit better than others. It will be interesting to see what they SW compared to the ones I don't hit as well. I suspect some differences will be minimal, but I love to tinker and adjust. I will post an update when I get the others weighed out.

Im interested to see what the differences come out for you in actual performance. That hybrid Letter/Number may sound astronomical, but in reality its not a huge amount of weight. Some are more susceptible, others it's a mental thing. Either way, I hope it works for you.

Im interested to see what the differences come out for you in actual performance. That hybrid Letter/Number may sound astronomical, but in reality its not a huge amount of weight. Some are more susceptible, others it's a mental thing. Either way, I hope it works for you.

that's the part that to me confounds the whole test. if you know going into it that the previous setup was "off" and you now know that the current adjusted setup is "accurate," you could swing differently or your perception could be affected. the only true test would be to just hand someone clubs blindly and tell them nothing about it.

that's the part that to me confounds the whole test. if you know going into it that the previous setup was "off" and you now know that the current adjusted setup is "accurate," you could swing differently or your perception could be affected. the only true test would be to just hand someone clubs blindly and tell them nothing about it.

I agree, but the problem that I struggle with is that now that I know, I'll never be happy until they are all "right". And like I said I am probably going to be splitting hairs on some of the SW's. honestly though I enjoy this aspect of golf almost as much as playing.

What grips did you switch to? What grips we're on them before? What about shafts?

Checked my Swingweight

Shafts are all the same.
I did research last night on the grip weights now that I'm interested. Grips are as follows

Driver stock=46 MCC4=52
3W stock=46.5 MCC4=52
3H stock=49.5 MCC4=66 mid

Irons stock=47.5 crossline ace=52

Shafts are all the same.
I did research last night on the grip weights now that I'm interested. Grips are as follows

Driver stock=46 MCC4=52
3W stock=46.5 MCC4=52
3H stock=49.5 MCC4=66 mid

Irons stock=47.5 crossline ace=52

Any chance you're playing KBS shafts?

Very interesting read

What's kind of interesting to me, low swingweights, or where the bulk of the mass is closer to the hands, is easier to control, mechanically speaking. Yet, most people want head heavy.

All things being equal, more mass at the club head equals more club head speed.

However, it could cause trouble with your swing. So that "all things being equal" part doesn't hold up.

Really? I'm not sure how that is mechanically possible. I may be very wrong, but mechanically speaking, a club with more weight near the hands will be easier to swing.

I'm looking more or less at feel. I loved my Driver at D3 which it was before I tipped it 1/4". I loved the feel of the aero burner 3W which was D3 before the trim and new grip and is again now after adjustments. I plan to get the 3H to D3 also. I think on my irons I am going to get one or two at D3 wii lead tape and try them and fine tune them until I like the feel then adjust other irons as needed to match.

Keep in mind that the SW number doesn't translate to the same feel due to the difference in shaft construction, length, balance etc, so your driver at D3 is not going to be how your 3H will feel at D3. This is not to say you won't like it, just going from experience with my experiment earlier this year, if you wanted a matching "feel" set, there is moi matching.

I'll probably save the hybrid until after I figure out what my irons feel best at and go from there with it. I just assume D3 will work. Maybe not. I thought about doing MOI on them also. Any benefit to either over the other

Really? I'm not sure how that is mechanically possible. I may be very wrong, but mechanically speaking, a club with more weight near the hands will be easier to swing.

I said it incorrectly. It comes from Trackman University and is the heavier the head the higher the smash factor - all things being equal. But plane, club head speed, etc. could change and keep you from seeing a higher smash factor.

I said it incorrectly. It comes from Trackman University and is the heavier the head the higher the smash factor - all things being equal. But plane, club head speed, etc. could change and keep you from seeing a higher smash factor.

Right, the heavier the head, the greater the smash factor, but that doesn't mean high swing weight. That is just the physical mass of the head. But, a grip heavy club is mechanically easier to manipulate. That is my point.

Checked my Swingweight

I checked the rest of my set this evening and also took the midsize grip off my 3H and weighed it with a standard and got it to C8.7. Here are the rest of my irons and the set PW. Not too bad off ,probably won't mess with them except the 9i and maybe the 8i I'm going to recheck them to verify.

4i. = D1.7
5i. = D2.0
6i. = D1.7
7i. = D2.0
8i. = D2.6
9i. = D0.7
PW. = D1.8

However, it could cause trouble with your swing. So that "all things being equal" part doesn't hold up.

Are you sure? At the same speed, something that has more headweight would provide more force (power) as f=ma, but don't know that high head weight would equate to higher speed. It might = higher ball speeds with more weight in the head, again due to f=ma.

Are you sure? At the same speed, something that has more headweight would provide more force (power) as f=ma, but don't know that high head weight would equate to higher speed. It might = higher ball speeds with more weight in the head, again due to f=ma.

I think that you have to break f=ma down to the respective units to understand this more. I think where swingweight comes in to play is in the (a) acceleration portion. a=delta v/time which means the difference in initial velocity vs final velocity divided by the time it took. So in my opinion the swingweight can change tempo and other swing factors. You may not even be still accelerating when You hit the ball due to changes in swing from different swingweights so in that case you would first have a positive velocity and a negative velocity acting near the bottom of the swing. Hope this makes sense.

Having just went though a SW hell of my own making, I am still not sure if I swing a D3 better than a D0. But once I checked them all (thanks Soxfan) and matched them up (irons only) I was a lot happier and relaxed so I played better for a few rounds.

Some days I think I have it perfect and others who knows, but that is really more swing related than SW related IMO.

Back