Western New York, Albany, Syracuse, Northwest Pennsylvania & surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances a real bethpage round with THPers happens this year. There has always been talk of it but why not 2015?

I have been saying I will play it every year since 07 when I registered my license with the course. Total rounds so far: 0

I have been saying I will play it every year since 07 when I registered my license with the course. Total rounds so far: 0

This year it happens

There was some talk with the philly guys to do bethpage, it remains to be seen if it will come through.

Does anyone go to Pennfair golf in East Rochester? I have never been there but it looks like a great place to swing some drivers and get accurate numbers. They have the Foresight GC2 launch monitor with Ping’s nFlight fitting software. I'm thinking of going there this coming weekend to dial in what driver I want to upgrade to this summer.
I've had a completely different experience than Jimmy. While I don't go there a lot, IMO they have great customer service. Back a few years ago I went in there wanting to get my swing speed tested to see if the shafts I was currently using were the right fit. The owner didn't want to charge me for a full fitting and asked me what irons/driver I currently was gaming, both had stiff shafts in them (rest of my clubs were reg). He offered to sell me a brand new set of Burner 2.0 irons and a regular flex driver shaft with a matching TM tip for my driver for a great price. He even offered me a great trade in credit for my current irons and sold me the driver shaft for his cost. I came out with a brand new set of irons and a Fujikura driver shaft for about $250.

Last edited:
I've had a completely different experience than Jimmy. While I don't go there a lot, IMO they have great customer service. Back a few years ago I went in there wanting to get my swing speed tested to see if the shafts I was currently using was the right fit. The owner didn't want to sucker me into a full fitting and asked me what irons/driver I currently was gaming, both had stiff shafts in them. He offered to sell me a brand new set of Burner 2.0 irons and a regular flex driver shaft with a matching tip for my driver for a great price. He offered me a great trade in price for my current irons and practically sold me the driver shaft for his cost.
I truly believe every store or company will have good and bad stories. I think everyone has to and should experience for themselves. Like I said I didn't have any personal experience just word of mouth and even then it wouldn't have stopped me from going in there.

The only problem with Bethpage is actually getting on the course to play. Jim (Shankosaurus) who has played it quite a bit says it's hard to even get a foursome on let alone a gathering. I would love to do it but based on what he says doesn't seem realistic for an outing type deal there.

The only problem with Bethpage is actually getting on the course to play. Jim (Shankosaurus) who has played it quite a bit says it's hard to even get a foursome on let alone a gathering. I would love to do it but based on what he says doesn't seem realistic for an outing type deal there.

Might be better to organize some 4-somes with spread out dates, then all recant on our experiences there.

Might be better to organize some 4-somes with spread out dates, then all recant on our experiences there.
I hope Jim drops in and drops some knowledge on us. I know as the most interesting man on THP he's been there a few times.

All I remember him saying about Bethpage Black was that you had to sleep in your car in the parking lot so that you could be the first one when they opened to see if a tee time was open.

I hope Jim drops in and drops some knowledge on us. I know as the most interesting man on THP he's been there a few times.
Honestly, he's my ticket to Bethpage. Without him running the show, I just don't see myself following through on the shenanigans needed to play there.

And there really is such a small chance of getting even two foursomes out on the same day (IMO) it's hard for anyone to jump in and take the lead when SO MANY here have expressed interest.

Just my two cents anyway.

according to my brother who stopped by there last year when he was in the area for a wedding said that tee times can be made for later in the day. The way i understand it is they take the first 6 foursomes in the morning from a signup (the guys who get there early after sleeping in the car) but have tee times for the rest of the day...not sure what the tee time situation is and how many.

according to my brother who stopped by there last year when he was in the area for a wedding said that tee times can be made for later in the day. The way i understand it is they take the first 6 foursomes in the morning from a signup (the guys who get there early after sleeping in the car) but have tee times for the rest of the day...not sure what the tee time situation is and how many.
It is an automated reservation system if things haven't changed since I was up there. Basically you need to fax in a bunch of info they set you up in an automated reservation system and then you can make times for up to 7 days out (nys residents all others are a shorter time). If you know what time they release the tee times for the black you have a very good shot at getting on. I knew at one time but can't remember what time it was. I found it searching online though so I an sure it is still out there.
The first hour is reserved for walk ups (six times) after that you can reserve times.

We can get an outing if anyone wants to donate $100k to the natural heritage trust...

It is an automated reservation system if things haven't changed since I was up there. Basically you need to fax in a bunch of info they set you up in an automated reservation system and then you can make times for up to 7 days out (nys residents all others are a shorter time). If you know what time they release the tee times for the black you have a very good shot at getting on. I knew at one time but can't remember what time it was. I found it searching online though so I an sure it is still out there.
The first hour is reserved for walk ups (six times) after that you can reserve times.

sounds about the same as what my bro explained to me.

Here's the way it works:

1) You register with the course reservations system. New York residents use their driver's license. Not sure about out-of-staters

2)NY residents can call beginning at 7pm 7 days before you want to play. Good luck with that. Many times I have speed dialed for 20-25 minutes before I got through, by which time the first available time was 4:59 pm

3) it's much easier getting a time through the reservation system if you're a single or sometimes 2 people.

4) The first hour and 1 tee time every other other is reserved for walk-ups. Their definition of a walk-up is somewhat different than yours. I'm sure. The way I did it was to get to the course at like 7 pm the day before. There are numbered spots signifying the order. Only 1 person has to stay with the car until about 4:30 am. At that time , a Bethpage employee will come around and go to each car in order, ask what course you want to play, and give you a ticket number and a wristband (all of your party HAS to be there to get their ticket/Wristband). You then become part of a mad scramble to go to the ticket window and pay to get your tee time. I believe you can request later in the day, but I haven't tried that. The problem with this is that you are dead tired and it is one hell of a walk around the course (no carts on the black).

5) The Black is normally closed on Mondays. However, there are some Mondays when they open it up, and it is somewhat easier to get times then. It's also easier if you try after Labor Day.

There are also no-shows but unless you live near the course, it's kind of out of the question.

Let's be honest, it would take an act of God to get more than 1 foursome on a day. Oh, and I forgot, you have to wait a month between reservations.

I'll try again this year, but the most notice anyone is going to get is 7 days.

I can hear people asking "Is it worth it?". I have played it 4 times in the last 3 years and the answer is always YES. It's a slow round, and you are dog-tired at the end, but even for a hacker like me, it's terrific. Where else can you play a US Open course for less than $100 (on the East Coast)?

Here's the way it works:

1) You register with the course reservations system. New York residents use their driver's license. Not sure about out-of-staters

2)NY residents can call beginning at 7pm 7 days before you want to play. Good luck with that. Many times I have speed dialed for 20-25 minutes before I got through, by which time the first available time was 4:59 pm

3) it's much easier getting a time through the reservation system if you're a single or sometimes 2 people.

4) The first hour and 1 tee time every other other is reserved for walk-ups. Their definition of a walk-up is somewhat different than yours. I'm sure. The way I did it was to get to the course at like 7 pm the day before. There are numbered spots signifying the order. Only 1 person has to stay with the car until about 4:30 am. At that time , a Bethpage employee will come around and go to each car in order, ask what course you want to play, and give you a ticket number and a wristband (all of your party HAS to be there to get their ticket/Wristband). You then become part of a mad scramble to go to the ticket window and pay to get your tee time. I believe you can request later in the day, but I haven't tried that. The problem with this is that you are dead tired and it is one hell of a walk around the course (no carts on the black).

5) The Black is normally closed on Mondays. However, there are some Mondays when they open it up, and it is somewhat easier to get times then. It's also easier if you try after Labor Day.

There are also no-shows but unless you live near the course, it's kind of out of the question.

Let's be honest, it would take an act of God to get more than 1 foursome on a day. Oh, and I forgot, you have to wait a month between reservations.

I can hear people asking "Is it worth it?". I have played it 4 times in the last 3 years and the answer is always YES. It's a slow round, and you are dog-tired at the end, but even for a hacker like me, it's terrific. Where else can you play a US Open course for less than $100 (on the East Coast)?

Sounds like you'd be better off getting some glow balls and playing at night while you wait for the employee. :alien:

Here's the way it works:

Thanks for spelling that out for us again Jim. One of these days I'm going to print it for reading when I'm way too happy one day and I need to be depressed....

Thanks for spelling that out for us again Jim. One of these days I'm going to print it for reading when I'm way too happy one day and I need to be depressed....
LOL! You kill me lol

I will get us out there this year. Just takes some patience... and maybe the ability to sleep in a car ;)

Anyone else tired of the constant cold and snow? A friend told me today that it looks like we won't get to the mid-30's until the middle of March.

Even though I am hitting indoors on a regular basis, I have had more than enough of this. I am very close to booking a flight to somewhere it is warm enough for golf.

I doubt we will be able to get out on a course in April, and that is really depressing.

Anyone else tired of the constant cold and snow? A friend told me today that it looks like we won't get to the mid-30's until the middle of March.

Even though I am hitting indoors on a regular basis, I have had more than enough of this. I am very close to booking a flight to somewhere it is warm enough for golf.
Better find somewhere really, really south. I am heading to North Carolina on Thursday and I am not sure the temperature will get out of the 40's while I am there. Thursday and Friday are supposed to be in 20's...

I haven't hit a club since the Bridgestone event at the end of Jan. I gotta get out to a launch monitor soon to test out the Z-Star's and try out my new driver tho. I will admit I am missing outdoor golf dearly and would like to plan a trip before spring unfolds here.

yup.... -36 this morning...

good thing I leave for Florida Friday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back