Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
some really interesting takes in here. after reading through all the responses i am glad this thread was started. Definitely hoping that JB, GG and the rest of the crew are able to continue providing great events for all of us to enjoy whether it be participating in the event, following along on the live thread or in any reviews for equipment associated.

Seems to be some good insight into opinions here that hopefully makes THP even better going forward.

After thinking about some of the other events and threads and seeing lots of people give lasting support to one OEM or another for either their interaction via social media, THP events (combo of both), etc and looking back on my first event a few weeks ago, that had no equipment involved until Bridgestone was nice enough to allow for some contests and equipment to be given away. I personally will give Bridgestone a fair share in any equipment or ball purchases going forward. I would do the same for any OEM i may have the chance to represent in a THP event.

My feeling is if I ever had the chance to get a 14 club/bag whole shebang deal I would use the clubs until I felt I either outgrew them or were not right for my game. I would feel loyal only if the clubs were right for me. I see nothing wrong in switching clubs to something that better suits your needs. I personally have no problems with somone testing/trying out something giving their review and if the clubs are then theirs free and clear, they can do as they please with them. Myself I would not try and made a quick buck off of them but once they are given to a person it is their property to do as they wish.

Edit: Now if this is a custom setup and the manufacturer went out of their way for you ala Morgan Cup that is a little different. I feel I would game them since they were set to my specs and they took time out to do something special.

We have two events that have 14 club deals. One there are costs associated. The other is completely free.

Very interesting point of view.
Great point, JB. I'm still working this through in my head but yes, of course you are right. And that event includes a full custom fitting from the OEM. Perhaps that one goes into its own category....

This is a very interesting perspective that I've never thought about. This seems like a very reasonable general rule of thumb to follow.

This could derail the thread based on comments I have seen in the past, but there are some people who will jump on the fact that some manufacturers seem like they are constantly bringing out new gear. In this case, some people could turn round and say they only need to play it for a couple weeks as (insert OEM) has already brought out new clubs to replace what they are playing

One could also make a decision to NOT go after an event if the club/clubs are something they don't want. There are so many THP events out there (official and unofficial) that if the club offering was for a club/OEM that you were not enthralled with, maybe the better option is to opt out and let others who are really interested in these have a crack at it. It all comes back to why each person is trying to get into the event.

So if you paid your way to an event and simply didn't love the set of irons that were part of the event or that you won you'd just outright refuse them? Now I've seen everything.
NO! That wasn't what I said. I said if you were given a set as part of the event to try and see how they would perform then I wouldn't feel right to take them home and sell them. Now winning a set is something totally different, the are part of your winnings and yours to do with as you see fit unless you signed an agreement to the sponsor.

Genuine Question For THPers

The way I change clubs they would definitely stay for a while. Might switch out a putter or wedge for an old friend, try few different shafts with the driver but selling them would not be an option. All the companies are building great stuff. I don't think anyone would have a huge effect on my score as long as I was honest with myself while the fitting/picking was happening.

I don't have a right answer for this. But one thing I wouldn't do is go out of my way to broadcast that I have immediately changed equipment. What I mean by that is I wouldn't take to twitter or other social media outlets and throw it all out there. To me its kind of a slap in the face to that company.

Been lucky enough to get full bags of equipment. Some has stayed and some as been regulated to the bench. But I wouldn't get a full bag of say Cobra and shortly after jump to another company and start throwing it out there for all to see. Be subtle about it.

I don't have a right answer for this. But one thing I wouldn't do is go out of my way to broadcast that I have immediately changed equipment. What I mean by that is I wouldn't take to twitter or other social media outlets and throw it all out there. To me its kind of a slap in the face to that company.

Been lucky enough to get full bags of equipment. Some has stayed and some as been regulated to the bench. But I wouldn't get a full bag of say Cobra and shortly after jump to another company and start throwing it out there for all to see. Be subtle about it.

I agree with this. Discretion can be one's friend.

Absolutely spot on buddy!

You mean I shouldn't immediately offer it for sale on the BST?

I've been fortunate enough to test an iron set which has since gone to my BIL, a shaft that was given to another THP'er and been in 2 Morgan Cups in which I probably still possess 90% of the equipment. Why? Because like OG stated, it's good stuff and was better than my old stuff!

I think we owe it to THP and the OEM to use the equipment, even if we paid $$$ for the event, for a certain amount of time before moving on. What is that time, I'm not sure.

I dont think there is a time period you should play it... But I do think that a person should not try and make an extreme profit off of it. If THP and kind enough to give a whole bag then you should also pass the good fortune on to someone else when selling.

I have had the great fortune of experiencing this and for me, I feel very obligated. I tried to game the whole bag for a time after the Morgan Cup. The only two clubs I have moved on from are the driver and putter.
I'm a very loyal person, so I fully expected to be a bit of a Taylormade homer afterwards. What I did not expect, was hanging on to everything. I don't keep backup clubs and generally sell them as soon as they leave my bag. For some reason though, I have not sold the driver or putter yet even though I have no intentions on ever gaming them again.

I personally think that getting equipment from a THP Event comes with the same responsibilities as getting it in a testing, and that you should post thoughts for all those clubs in the respective threads for at least a month or two before moving on. Not only that, I believe in order to give equipment a really fair shake takes at least a few range sessions and several rounds.

Plus, if I'm getting a full bag from a THP Event it's either going to be from the Grandaddy (where everyone is fitted for it at Callaway HQ) or from the Legacy, where I would find a fitter for either Bridgestone or Wilson Staff and pay the money to get properly fit and base my order on that. So it should fit me well.

So in short, I don't think there's much of a reason to change from a THP full bag unless there was a certain spot in the bag that for some reason you just couldn't find a head that worked quite right in the fitting. However, I don't really see this happening with the wide variety of equipment that Callaway, Bridgestone, and Wilson Staff carry these days.

One could also make a decision to NOT go after an event if the club/clubs are something they don't want. There are so many THP events out there (official and unofficial) that if the club offering was for a club/OEM that you were not enthralled with, maybe the better option is to opt out and let others who are really interested in these have a crack at it. It all comes back to why each person is trying to get into the event.

Great point. If you don't want SGI irons and this is for a set of some supper thick sole, offset shovels then don't enter and let someone who could benefit from it do so. In the same way that if you don't play baldes don't go from something you are not going to use.

Great point. If you don't want SGI irons and this is for a set of some supper thick sole, offset shovels then don't enter and let someone who could benefit from it do so. In the same way that if you don't play baldes don't go from something you are not going to use.

To be fair, the two events that come with 14 club deals, really open it up to the golfers to choose what they want.

Just skimmed through this thread this morning but, I don't change equipment often, that being said I would feel some loyalty to the company that gave them to me unless it was just a bad fit. I have become a loyal Bridgestone fan and it started by winning the clubs from them. They play well for me so no need to change. I also have the Adams hybrids that they gave/won to me from the Adams event. I have put them in play many times but now I feel like they are not working for me so it might be time to change to something new. If I was ever chosen for an event like that, I would play them for a while and tell everyone that I play with about them, like I do now with my Bridgestone's. I like telling new people how I received them to represent THP and also the company from which they came.

I would just like to add that if I were fully fitted at Callaway HQ for all 14 clubs, I'd probably get a chevron tattooed on my head. :clap:

That's an experience that couldn't be beat.

I personally think that getting equipment from a THP Event comes with the same responsibilities as getting it in a testing, and that you should post thoughts for all those clubs in the respective threads for at least a month or two before moving on. Not only that, I believe in order to give equipment a really fair shake takes at least a few range sessions and several rounds.

Plus, if I'm getting a full bag from a THP Event it's either going to be from the Grandaddy (where everyone is fitted for it at Callaway HQ) or from the Legacy, where I would find a fitter for either Bridgestone or Wilson Staff and pay the money to get properly fit and base my order on that. So it should fit me well.

So in short, I don't think there's much of a reason to change from a THP full bag unless there was a certain spot in the bag that for some reason you just couldn't find a head that worked quite right in the fitting. However, I don't really see this happening with the wide variety of equipment that Callaway, Bridgestone, and Wilson Staff carry these days.

Counter-question...what if the bag was all stock offerings in terms of shafts & grips, or only from a select list of options? Would that change how long you feel like you can or should game them? One thing that's come up during this thread is what the OEM's are trying to get out of their contributions to these events...if they're trying to get an assessment of how their stock builds function across a decent number of golfers, this is an avenue to accomplish that. But how much of an obligation does that impart to us, the guys who play those clubs? I know there are some guys who may well have had some different opinions about certain clubs had they been fitted with stock offerings instead of shafts pulled out of stone & anvil. I know my opinion of my own irons is somewhat colored by how well I get along with the Recoil shafts. It's a pairing that's greater than the sum of its parts for my game. But a full-catalog fitting may not be part of what's offered all the time. My question is, if that's the case, would it affect how long you feel like you should bag that gear?

For me, I've held on to most of it as long as I can unless I see an opportunity to help another THPer out. I'll never sell anything I get as a result of a THP event. I still have my 3w, hybrid and irons from the MC because they hold a lot of sentimental value. I gave the driver to a THPer who was in the market for a Bio Cell +, in red. He offered to pay, but I didn't feel right because it wasn't in the spirit of what the Morgan Cup was about...at least for me. The same with the wedge that I won at the Bridgestone event. I liked the wedge, but wasn't in love with it. MikeG was really high on the wedges and I put it in his bag when we left.

I don't think it's wrong for someone to immediately start off loading stuff as soon as they are done with the event (assuming it's a full bag). I would hope that in the spirit of what THP is about they would first try to help out another THPer before going to eBay to get top dollar. However, I don't know everyone's situation and whether or not they need the money for something else and wouldn't judge them if they did sell right away.

Again, for me THP events aren't all about the equipment tie ins. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing part of the experience and the Morgan Cup wouldn't have been as amazing as it was without the OEM tie ins. But THP is more than just getting golf equipment to me.

I would just like to add that if I were fully fitted at Callaway HQ for all 14 clubs, I'd probably get a chevron tattooed on my head. :clap:

That's an experience that couldn't be beat.

And if the fitted clubs all of a sudden didn't work for you. You'd still have that chevron on ya head :act-up:

I think the key is, put in some work and share your experiences. I think the general population can see when someone is contributing in the forums with honest feedback.

Counter-question...what if the bag was all stock offerings in terms of shafts & grips, or only from a select list of options? Would that change how long you feel like you can or should game them? One thing that's come up during this thread is what the OEM's are trying to get out of their contributions to these events...if they're trying to get an assessment of how their stock builds function across a decent number of golfers, this is an avenue to accomplish that. But how much of an obligation does that impart to us, the guys who play those clubs? I know there are some guys who may well have had some different opinions about certain clubs had they been fitted with stock offerings instead of shafts pulled out of stone & anvil. I know my opinion of my own irons is somewhat colored by how well I get along with the Recoil shafts. It's a pairing that's greater than the sum of its parts for my game. But a full-catalog fitting may not be part of what's offered all the time. My question is, if that's the case, would it affect how long you feel like you should bag that gear?

Absolutely, yes, it has an effect. I do think there is a certain minimum, like I said, to give the gear its fair shake. I've thought I hated a club at first and grown to like it over a month or so before, and vice versa. But since you don't then know for sure if the specs fit you, I see no absolute need to stick with it if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back