Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread obviously wouldn't exist if everything was fine.

Josh, you and Morgan run the site and if there's an expectation or hope that participants provide feedback for a certain amount of time than it should simply be a requirement for each event.

Without a written requirement, I think it leads to unfair judgment from others and a 'holier than thou' contest.

Not sure this is accurate. When have Josh or Morgan ever been satisfied with "fine" or "ok". I honestly think they are always looking to make things better and this conversation is no different.

I would expect to play it for that event and if I knew that I wasn't happy with it then I sure wouldn't take it home, that being said. If a company gave me a set that I was fitted for then by all means the rest of year or more as I think our sponsors should gain that much respect from us as a member.

I would play the equipment for a few months at the least and provide my thoughts and reviews for the forum during that time. Beyond that I would continue to use it unless there was a glaring fitting/performance/personal issue going on where I wanted my old wedges/driver back in the bag.

I think whether or not it should get sold after 6+ months for profit or not depends on the event and the details surrounding it.

I don't think I would want to play an event where I was given a full bag, quite honestly. I have clubs I like and when I play, I want to use equipment I am comfortable with.

Perhaps doing something along the lines of having the players bag the clothing and golf bag of the sponsor, with an option to bag any equipment they want to, provided by the sponsor, would be a viable option. An example being the big bag of putters each manufacturer provides at the putting green of each PGA tournament. If a player wants to try one out and bag it that weekend (or longer), they can, but don't have to?

Just my $.02

I would expect to play it for that event and if I knew that I wasn't happy with it then I sure wouldn't take it home, that being said. If a company gave me a set that I was fitted for then by all means the rest of year or more as I think our sponsors should gain that much respect from us as a member.
So if you paid your way to an event and simply didn't love the set of irons that were part of the event or that you won you'd just outright refuse them? Now I've seen everything.

For me I would play at for at least a season, probably longer unless there was a major issue with it and my game (wrong shafts or something like that). I don't replace clubs often so if I was given a brand new set I would want to play them for a good while.

As somebody fairly new to the site, this is my take:

- If for some reason the event was sponsored by a company that I knew I hated, I simply wouldn't sign up for it. There aren't any companies like that so it's a moot point, but let's say for the sake of argument that I had played everything that Srixon makes and it just didn't work for me. I'd take a pass.

- If the gear was fitted, that would by default make it better than anything I've got right now, so I'd play it as long as it made sense to keep playing. Probably years. When I decided to take a piece out of my bag, if I didn't want to hold onto it for nostalgia, I'd give it to a THPer. It didn't cost me anything, and it was given to the community, so why should I make any money off it or let it go outside the community?
Very good answers and right in line with my mindset. I would play anything until I was just flat convinced it didn't work, especially fitted.
And I have actually steered clear of OEM contest/testings because why take something away from someone who likes 'that' OEM?

I'm not feeling judged in the least. I just don't understand where this thread is going. If there's no formal obligation, than a person's own obligation is irrelevant.

Where does any thread go. Clearly based on the response people have wondered this same thing. I was curious and figured I would start the thread. And I could not disagree more with the last part. Not having a formal obligation does not change the fact that there are differing opinions and because things are not set out to be just "ok" here, I like to get those opinions to make everything evolve for the future.

If I wanted to stay with the status quo and have nothing change based on input, none of these things would be taking place.

All I got to say is the new clubs will have to be better than the ones I have grown to love. If I don't feel the love I won't bag it. I've only received one club since I have only been to one event that provided equipment and that was the Big Bertha from the King. I tried it for six months or so and finally moved on and used it for a trade. There was a thread that asked a question of sorts, "If you were given 14 clubs at an event without any pre fitting could you make it work?" Probably worded a whole lot different but anyways I was the only one who said no, I couldn't do it. Sure I could take the clubs and sell them afterwards (if they didn't pan out) but that's not why I'm in it. If I like a club/clubs I will keep them until the paint wears off. I tested the TaylorMade ATV wedge a few years back and it's still in my bag. If I don't like a product, I will not keep it out of obligation. Can't do it.

As somebody fairly new to the site, this is my take:

- If for some reason the event was sponsored by a company that I knew I hated, I simply wouldn't sign up for it. There aren't any companies like that so it's a moot point, but let's say for the sake of argument that I had played everything that Srixon makes and it just didn't work for me. I'd take a pass.

- If the gear was fitted, that would by default make it better than anything I've got right now, so I'd play it as long as it made sense to keep playing. Probably years. When I decided to take a piece out of my bag, if I didn't want to hold onto it for nostalgia, I'd give it to a THPer. It didn't cost me anything, and it was given to the community, so why should I make any money off it or let it go outside the community?

I think this a very thoughtful response. I am speaking as an event outsider but the events are awesome so everyone tries to sign up at every opportunity. Do people get 'buyers' remorse? Maybe but then if you aren't excited about whats being offered maybe not entering that contest prevents alot of this issue. Just a thought.

I think this is a bit short sighted. What if the financial situations much much later (let's say over 8 months)? Heck the Grandaddy is free (I am not calling anyone out!!!) but the clubs could fetch a pretty penny. I for one am in no position to challenge someone's financial situation. People can spend/make their money however they choose even if it means selling off 'free' stuff.
If you get into an event and fall on hard times, pull out and let someone else in. If your down on your luck, golf or golf outings should be a part of your priorities list. It boils down to looking at the bigger picture and not the immediate gratifcation. Not saying this is you, just responding to the post.

Tough question.

On one hand people are paying for the event / gear and unless the event places an expectation on them (eg, forum testing) it is theirs, so they can do as they wish.

On the other hand THP and the companies are going above and beyond to provide early access, sweet deals, etc., so you hope people would show some appreciation. Seeing the gear being moved could be seen as being ungrateful or unappreciated.

Maybe this falls within the parameters of Harry's "don't be a d*^%" and/or The Golden Rule???

Last edited:
When you get a 14 club deal, I can guarantee that you will not like every club in the bag. Is there a cost associated with some of these events....sure. The events cost far less than what you get and equipment is not the only thing involved. The obligation here IMO is not to bag the clubs for the rest of your life. Just to provide honest and genuine feedback just as if you were selected for a testing.

I'm not feeling judged in the least. I just don't understand where this thread is going. If there's no formal obligation, than a person's own obligation is irrelevant.

To be honest my first thought when reading the first post was "where did this come from and who is the offending party". I am not in the know here so I figured there was something I was missing.

To me everyone's answer will be different, and vary based on your circumstances. Here's what it boils down to me personally: I would absolutely give an honest and 100% effort for several months into trying to make the equipment work for my game. If it works, awesome I'm happy to play it, if something else works better, I'm looking for what helps me shoot my best scores. Not everyone's game will fit perfectly into equipment that may have been included in an event they play in. I think an honest try and evaluation into equipment is all anyone can ask. If a 3 or 6 month contract or something needed to avoid problems, I'd be more than fine with that as long as details are disclosed up front and all involved know what they're getting into

I would guess that people have preferences on brand and types of club they are looking to buy and keep, it's the event organizer and the sponsors' prerogative to give away clubs for certain events, I don't see any particular binding obligation to keep the clubs given, however I would say anyone should give them a fair shake before offing them on ebay or something, but that's strictly personal preference.

Guess what I am saying is, once the club is given away to a participant, he/she should review it but really they don't have to do anything of the sort and probably will only keep the brands they like anyway.

Tough question.

On one hand people are paying for the event / gear and unless the event places an expectation on them (eg, forum testing) it is theirs, so they can do as they wish.

We have two events that have 14 club deals. One there are costs associated. The other is completely free.

When you get a 14 club deal, I can guarantee that you will not like every club in the bag. Is there a cost associated with some of these events....sure. The events cost far less than what you get and equipment is not the only thing involved. The obligation here IMO is not to bag the clubs for the rest of your life. Just to provide honest and genuine feedback just as if you were selected for a testing.

Very interesting point of view.

I remember having this very discussion with you about your R 11's. When I asked you why you still played them you had said out of gratitude and a sense of obligation to TM and JB for giving them to you to test. That made a pretty big impression on me about your character that day not that that means much, but it's certainly a trait I wish I had more of.
It means a great deal to me as does our friendship.

I find it fascinating to see people benefit from these opportunities then only to disappear into the ether, on face value it seems disrespectful to the sponsors, THP, and the other members.

I think this is a bit short sighted. What if the financial situations much much later (let's say over 8 months)? Heck the Grandaddy is free (I am not calling anyone out!!!) but the clubs could fetch a pretty penny. I for one am in no position to challenge someone's financial situation. People can spend/make their money however they choose even if it means selling off 'free' stuff.

If you get into an event and fall on hard times, pull out and let someone else in. If your down on your luck, golf or golf outings should be a part of your priorities list. It boils down to looking at the bigger picture and not the immediate gratifcation. Not saying this is you, just responding to the post.

I didn't read this as falling on hard times between getting into the event and it taking place, I read it as down the line long after the event has taken place, in which case, unless you can see the future, it may mean that someone has to sell something they got 'for free' otherwise some people would never even bother applying for a particular event

I haven't been in the position yet, but if I got a 14-club deal from one of the events, I would feel obligated to at least give them a thorough review before moving on. After that review though, if I was unhappy with the performance of some/all of those clubs, I would not feel obligated to continue playing them. After all, I play golf for fun, and it would not be fun if I was forced to use clubs that were hurting my game (whether it's the club's fault or just in my head that it's the club's fault).

Totally agree. From my THPMC there are clubs that I'm confident I'll use til they break, and there are others I initially liked that I sort of fell out of love with, and others I still liked but aspects of my swing changed and they just didn't provide the best fit. Personal opinion, including those elements and providing that feedback on what you liked, what you didn't like, and ultimately why they're still in your bag, or why they're not still in your bag, are more important than an arbitrary timeframe of keeping provided clubs on the course, even if you don't like them as much as your prior gamers.

I've always felt a personal obligation to play that equipment until the OEM comes out with something else. Nobody has ever told me to feel that way, but it's just sort of what I feel is right. Game the gear and talk about the gear (pros and cons) as often as possible and when the new stuff comes out feel free to look forward to trying that, same OEM? Great but not required necessarily.
This is a very interesting perspective that I've never thought about. This seems like a very reasonable general rule of thumb to follow.

Agreed. The unwritten obligation is to provide feedback on the clubs for the thousands of forum members and the thousands of forum visitors who don't sign up but still read THP specially for club feedback; similar to forum testing.

It depends. In some cases like the Morgan Cup, the full bag was fitted custom shafts possibly and some pretty neat customization on other things.

I think in that instance I would feel obligated to game the equipment for awhile.

Honestly I don't change equipment very often so I would probably use it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back