What are your golf club buying habits?

What are your golf club buying habits?

• Buy retail but stick with the club long-term

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No problem changing up, I resell my unused clubs

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Life's too short, I buy retail and don't mind buying again if it's shiny and new

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Do you not mind paying full retail but try to make the purchase last by doing research and sticking with the pricey club for as long as you can?

Or do you find discounts and sell off unused clubs to offset frequent club changes?

Or do you give it the full treatment by paying retail and changing up when something else catches your eye?

For me it's a combination of 1 and 2, but historically more 2. I don't have a problem shelling out if I've found something that I'm convinced will work perfectly for me for a few years, but generally I'll look for cheaper options that are similar. I have resold a fair few clubs in my day haha

I've never paid full retail for a club, but I also don't typically resell ones I stop using. My dad, brother, and a couple friends all have anywhere from 1 to 14 clubs in their bags that came from me.

I have paid retail twice. Thats it. My Bridgestone JGR 7W and my Odyssey Versa Fusion putter in blue. Everything else I find deals on so i am not worried as much about resale since I usually get my clubs at least 50% off.

I don't buy irons that often so I don't mind paying retail for them...drivers I try to find the best deal I can....

I don't buy irons that often so I don't mind paying retail for them...drivers I try to find the best deal I can....

This for me. I normally buy a few drivers and putters each year but almost never pay full retail. I like to buy last years models at a heavy discount or find a deal like the $183 I just paid for a Z565 driver head. I just bought new irons but I've only had 6 sets of irons in 36 years, two of those I paid retail for and the others I won or got at a heavy discount.

I also keep about 90% of my old clubs, it's growing to quite the collection.

Last edited:
I have but not often, bought new right a the release time. I'll wait for the price drop. My current driver is the best driver I have ever gamed in 45 years, and I paid $99 for it brand new.

I will wait until I have enough money on the books at my club (mens club tournament winnings etc) then pay retail at the club. It feels discounted if I don't do the math on how much it cost me to accumulate the funds for the purchase.

I call my club guy in MA and ask him, then I make a visit and pay up.

Seriously, I've been in a 2 yr quest to settle the bag except for driver - gotta' have a driver every now and then. I'm down to getting the shafts and balance just right on some clubs. After that, I just want to play. I've done enough fitting, and research the heck out of everything I purchase.

I buy used. Great savings and I don't mind a little wear for a big discount

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I tend to buy new...by the time I reshaft and get the lie bent I haven't saved a lot. Putters I buy used

I'm definitely a number 2 guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never ever retail with the 50% mark-ups, it's nuts.

I do my own fitting. There are very very few good fitters and they want to charge you for the fitting and then charge you retail for clubs. Its not hard to learn how to do it.

I usually play 1-2 cycles behind as everything performs in the "real-world" about the same. Example, liked the G30 when it first came out, hit it at the local range , tried all the stock shafts in the cart, didn't like any. I found a used one on ebay, excellent shape with x-stiff. I play regular or stiff. Sold the shaft, put a few different used shafts, found the perfect one. Sold the rest. G came out took my driver down and compared, not much difference to buy, few yards, different look, different sound. But, found a good deal on one bought, played for the last few months now ideciding which one to keep. Other will be sold.

I look at as a hobby, buying/trying/selling.

I don't think a bag is ever set, it just changes a little here, a little there.

I used to sell off all my undesirables on ebay but avoid the hassle now. I abhor paying full retail. Not because I deny their market value but because I know that last year's models or pre-owned in particular will work just fine for me.

I generally purchase based off of need due semi-prolonged poor play with a particular club. I rarely if ever buy because I just want to try something. Anymore, I mean. ?

I stick with what works and even if I move on from a club, if it once worked very well for me I'll hold onto it forever.

Case in point my original Mashie hybrids with PX 6.0 steel shafts. Hit them great once upon a time, then developed the hooks warranting a change a few years back. Then due to a mid season penchant for pushing and flaring hybrids right occasionally, I put the Mashies back in the bag on a whim.

Through probably 25 or so rounds now with them, I'm hammering hybrids. Maybe they're masking a flaw, maybe my swing has evolved and they better suit me presently. Don't care, they work.

TM R7 Limited TP driver made a 10 round or so return this season to positive reviews also. Armour Evo V-31 Reduced-offset irons are dying to make their comeback next. Mizunos are flipping them the bird though. ?

I shop, research, shop some more. It can be a month's long process for me.

It's a bit of a mix for me.

I pair retail for my driver and irons but I've had my iron set longer than I've had any other set before so really I've saved money this way and I plan on having my driver for a while.

As for my other clubs I'll buy used and stick with them as long as I still like them. I've had my wedge model for a few years now and will probably stay with them for a while and just finally replaced my hybrids that I purchased when I first started golfing.

I don't buy clubs as an investment so I buy when I can afford to! I like to try all the new stuff, it's fun.

Random and out of control.

Both new and discounts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I buy cheap and continue to use it until it snaps likes a twig.

Mix of 1 and 2. I'm a big fan of trading in unused clubs. There's only a couple that I've held onto outside of putters.

I hardly ever pay retail, but have switched clubs a lot in the past few years, selling or trading in unused clubs.

Back