Rock Ishii Joins Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) announced today it has fortified its golf ball R&D division with the addition of industry veteran Hideyuki “Rock” Ishii as Sr. Director, Advanced Golf Ball Research. Ishii brings 25 years of golf product development experience, including 15 years with Nike Golf, during which he was responsible for the design of every Nike ball. To date, 25 Major Championships have been won by athletes Ishii worked with on golf ball design and fitting.

No brand has been more innovative in the ball category of late than Callaway, with products like Chrome Soft and Supersoft exceeding golfers’ expectations for feel, spin, distance and control. According to Golf Datatech, Callaway is the fastest growing major golf ball brand since 2013.

“Adding Rock to our already exceptional ball team will strengthen our ability to investigate new construction methods and improve our evaluation of golf ball performance,” said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Callaway’s SVP of R&D, “leading to better products for golfers at every level.”

At a time when other golf companies are consolidating resources, Callaway is investing in order to continue bringing new innovations and better performing products to market. Just last month Callaway acquired Toulon Design, a boutique clubmaker specializing in premium putters that artfully combine beautiful design with meaningful performance technology.

“By further investing in R&D, at a time when we believe others are or will be forced to pull back, we view this as an excellent opportunity to further strengthen our technical position and build for the future,” said Chip Brewer, President & CEO, Callaway Golf.

Oh wow.

I got to meet Rock at The Oven and he is a WEALTH of knowledge when it comes to golf balls. This is a solid move!

Man they keep packing in the talent. It will be fun to see what they come up with next.

It is great that Callaway has put themselves in a position to go out and acquire talent like this.

Man they keep packing in the talent. It will be fun to see what they come up with next.

Hopefully NOTHING like RZN.

Callaway is busting at the seams with talent.

That's big, Rock is solid and will bring some great insight to that team.

Very cool. Callaway is making waves already with Chrome Soft, will be interesting for sure.

Callaway has really made the rights moves in the golf ball market the last couple years and this should improve their already strong offering.

I like this move. The last version of the Nike RZN Platinum was light years better than the previous versions and I really like that offering. It will be cool to see what happens with this partnership.

Hopefully NOTHING like RZN.

My thought as well, which begs the question what well-regarded balls has he been a part of designing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome news. Seems like he can bring a lot to the table for Callaway. Excited to see the direction and innovations they come up with in the ball segment!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

He's a talent. Although the balls that he's produced in the last 5 years have been garbage in comparison to others.

Sounds like another great addition for Callaway. They have really been adding to their already deep talent pool lately.

Love seeing Callaway bring in extremely talented people. This group just keeps getting stronger every year. Can't wait to see what this means down the road.

Awesome news. Hopefully Callaway brings to market this years rzn platinum, my favorite ball I've played this year.

Awesome news. Hopefully Callaway brings to market this years rzn platinum, my favorite ball I've played this year.

No RZN, pleeeeeeeeeease.

I doubt they go this route, but this years RZN was light years better than the previous versions. The old versions were hard and compression was high. This years version they brought the compression down and the overall felt and spin was better IMO.

Last edited:
This is a press release

Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) announced today it has fortified its golf ball R&D division with the addition of industry veteran Hideyuki “Rock” Ishii as Sr. Director, Advanced Golf Ball Research. Ishii brings 25 years of golf product development experience, including 15 years with Nike Golf, during which he was responsible for the design of every Nike ball. To date, 25 Major Championships have been won by athletes Ishii worked with on golf ball design and fitting.

No brand has been more innovative in the ball category of late than Callaway, with products like Chrome Soft and Supersoft exceeding golfers’ expectations for feel, spin, distance and control. According to Golf Datatech, Callaway is the fastest growing major golf ball brand since 2013.

“Adding Rock to our already exceptional ball team will strengthen our ability to investigate new construction methods and improve our evaluation of golf ball performance,” said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Callaway’s SVP of R&D, “leading to better products for golfers at every level.”

At a time when other golf companies are consolidating resources, Callaway is investing in order to continue bringing new innovations and better performing products to market. Just last month Callaway acquired Toulon Design, a boutique clubmaker specializing in premium putters that artfully combine beautiful design with meaningful performance technology.

“By further investing in R&D, at a time when we believe others are or will be forced to pull back, we view this as an excellent opportunity to further strengthen our technical position and build for the future,” said Chip Brewer, President & CEO, Callaway Golf.

Wow "Senior Director" that has to be a kick in the B___s to the people that have been there years. Callaway has been making great strides in the ball sector recently , big name but I think they were going in the right path , hope they don't get derailed . Not a fan of Nike golf balls.
gb

Just had dinner with Rock Ishii tonight at the PGA Show. Wow, this guy is brilliant. Really excited about the future of Callaway golf balls.

Just had dinner with Rock Ishii tonight at the PGA Show. Wow, this guy is brilliant. Really excited about the future of Callaway golf balls.

Very cool. I'm eager to see what Rock is going to bring to the table. Craaaaaazy smart guy.

Back