Once Again: Interlock vs. Vardon

George

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Guys!
I do NOT want to start a philosophical discussion about which grip is the better one. I started a few years ago with a baseball grip and changed it to interlocking 3years ago. Right now, as the snow is quite bugging here, I'm trying to put my swing on a biomechanically sound basis ans working on quite some basics.
When watching Mickelson in Slo-Mo I noticed the move his trailing hand makes just before impact. He cups his wrist so only the fingertips are touching the shaft in order to let the club release more freely. V. Singh does the same.
While trying to imitate that I found it quite difficult using the jnterlocking grip. But the Vardon grip feels really awkward, mostly because I tend to hold the club really tight through impact, which I cannot do when overlapping. Well, it could be that this is the solution to my problems (early extension, flipping etc.). To just grip lightly.
But has any of you put some thought in this and has to share some experience? After all, I thought Phil is interlocking.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I was taught the interlocking grip as a kid and have never changed. It is what is natural for me. Grip, like everything is subjective. Go with what works best for you.

I was also taught using interlock...over the years I went to the overlap for short periods, but however I have always gone back to interlock. For me its a much more stable grip.

I learned with the interlock, and then in my 30's I changed to a vardon in hopes of eliminating a constant hook. My reasoning being that putting more "left hand" on the club would help. I've stuck with the vardon for the last 30 years. I've got a few retired buddies who started golf late and they use the 10-finger or baseball grip. They hit the heck out of the ball and are very good golfers.

I have tried the overlap grip but I just don't like how it feels. I have been interlocking since I was 16 and it just feels right to me. Even when I switched from baseball grip to interlocking it felt right. But I know there are plenty of players that they have the same thought just in reverse. It all comes down to what fees right for you.

Went from a baseball to a Vardon(overlap) grip. I tried interlocking but find it uncomfortable.

I started with the interlock. Although I have tried other grips, I always come back to the original one for me!

Hey Guys!
I do NOT want to start a philosophical discussion about which grip is the better one. I started a few years ago with a baseball grip and changed it to interlocking 3years ago. Right now, as the snow is quite bugging here, I'm trying to put my swing on a biomechanically sound basis ans working on quite some basics.
When watching Mickelson in Slo-Mo I noticed the move his trailing hand makes just before impact. He cups his wrist so only the fingertips are touching the shaft in order to let the club release more freely. V. Singh does the same.
While trying to imitate that I found it quite difficult using the jnterlocking grip. But the Vardon grip feels really awkward, mostly because I tend to hold the club really tight through impact, which I cannot do when overlapping. Well, it could be that this is the solution to my problems (early extension, flipping etc.). To just grip lightly.
But has any of you put some thought in this and has to share some experience? After all, I thought Phil is interlocking.

My early years of golf included the baseball grip but I always felt like my right hand had too much ability to take over during the swing. Plus I have a ton of friction between my hands and it caused my pinky to look like a disaster after a golf season completed.

I decided to make the move to vardon because I hate the way interlock feels, and I wanted to make a change that would allow me to disconnect the right hand a bit more and I feel like that's been a great fit. It's entirely personal and i'm not talking about basically removing my hand before contact, but I definitely prefer it.

I have played with a Vardon grip my entire life. Just felt more comfortable with my hands.

I started out with an interlocking grip...because that's how I saw Tiger hold the club. Did that for several years, and recently switched to a Vardon grip, because I was looking for a bit more control of my grip pressure. I felt like the interlocking grip just made it too easy to grip too tightly without even noticing.

I still use the baseball grip, so I can't comment here. But hey, it works for me......and I think that is the moral of the story. Whatever works best for you.

~Rock

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The interlocking grip makes it too easy for me to hang really tight on my club with both hands, which tightens up the wrists and forearms so I lose a lot of speed with the casting. It's purely mental, cause the club does lag when there's no ball involved. As soon as there is a ball in front if me everything tightens, I lose my timing, I don't shift the weight before crashing down my right shoulder in a 6:1 ratio (Tour Tempo Yeah!) and I flip to the left in order to avoid the slice.
I hit about 300 Rangeballs on the weekend and only thought about the Vardongrip at about 290 or so. So a lot of work this coming weekend. But as long as it looks like this, I've got plenty if time to hit balls.
5c94c98b411023e8b1a6408c90ee6596.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I moved to overlapping grip when I couldn't stop squeezing so much with my right hand (I'm right handed). After a few awkward range sessions of getting used to moving away from interlocking grip I was able to grip lighter, had a more leftward ball flight, and gained some distance.

Can't say either was better than the other but the overlap gives me the ball flight and feel that has lowered my handicap and kept me in the single digits.

I was taught the interlock grip when I started to pick up the game and I've never used anything else.

I taught myself the interlocking grip when I was about 12 when looking at golf magazines. I have tried to us the Vardon grip on full swings but never has felt right for me, I do however use the Vardon grip chipping around the greens .

I started out using the interlock, but over time it started out really hurting my right ring finger. My fingers seem to be less stressed during the swing using the overlap/vardon so that's what I'm using currently.

After having used the Vardon for 35 years, I started using the interlocking 2 rounds ago. Trying to lessen my hook propensity and so far it has helped with that. It is very uncomfortable now, but I'm sure that will pass with time.

I'm am comfortable with interlock or the Vardon grip but I switched to a double overlap(Jim Furyk) grip last year and doubt I will ever go back to a conventional grip. The double overlap relaxes my grip pressure, reduces tension, and allows me to hit it straighter and a little farther.

I'm am comfortable with interlock or the Vardon grip but I switched to a double overlap(Jim Furyk) grip last year and doubt I will ever go back to a conventional grip. The double overlap relaxes my grip pressure, reduces tension, and allows me to hit it straighter and a little farther.

I've tried that once when I had an injury on my right hand and thought that overall I hit straighter shots. I didn't pay much attention to distance though and never really gave it much thought after that range session. The injury healed before the next time I hit the range. I'll have to play around with it again.

I've tried that once when I had an injury on my right hand and thought that overall I hit straighter shots. I didn't pay much attention to distance though and never really gave it much thought after that range session. The injury healed before the next time I hit the range. I'll have to play around with it again.

I started out playing around with it on the range last fall and then took it to the course just for wedge/short iron shots. I soon realized my misses were smaller with this grip and it only took a couple range sessions to get comfortable using this grip for all my shots. I certainly don't think this grip is for most golfers but if your hands are strong it's a good way of getting rid of tension in the hands and arms.

I do have a tendency to grip too hard. A TM Demo day guy recommended that I switch to midsize grips to try and help me relieve some tension in my grip, and they worked.

I also just a lesson yesterday where some of the focus was on trying to minimize how much my right hand is active during the swing. It seems like a double overlap would help by taking the right hand out of the swing a little more.

I used the interlock for years and working with my Instructor he had me change to the Vardon to keep my right hand from dominating the swing. It has really helped to lessen my tendency to roll my hands over (or flip) though impact.

I started and played the interlock grip for probably 25 years. I then tried the overlap and never went back.

First 30 years with the overlap, last 8 interlock. I feel my hands work together better with the interlock.

Interlock to start, overlap as I started getting serious. Not sure why or when I switched.

Back