Do you approach it all differently during the "off" season?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Of course the obvious things like winter weather will affect how much you play and practice outdoors. And also (for those who play competitively) that will also officially be over. No more posting casual rounds of course and so what about when you do play? What does it mean to you? and/or how do you approach it? Do you view and treat your off season rounds as practice only since you cant post them or treat it all just the same (try your best scoring) as you normally do during the season?

What about your whole approach in general to all your golf during the off season. Still do as much as you can? Take somewhat of a break even if time and weather are on your side?

Perhaps you enjoy the time away and a good reset. Perhaps you go full force on nothing but practice and efforts. Or perhaps you simply play and practice here and there and just enjoy when you can without so much pressure. Whatever the case. Whats your approach to your off season rounds and general golf participation when available?

I definitely do not get to play as much, but more because of scheduling than the weather this year so far. I do approach the game differently in the fall/winter because I'm not playing as often. Whenever I get to play, I usually try to isolate a specific goal or something else to work on during the round. For example, my natural ball flight is a draw so during my last 2 rounds I made it a point to use my draw on every shot, regardless of just about any situation. I'm also trying to work on some things in my swing, so I'm always exaggerating those changes on every shot. I'll probably do a couple rounds where I go irons only, punch shots only, fades only, or whatever else I feel like working on. Either way I try to keep it light and relaxed, and be OK with scoring really poorly because I'm trying to make changes. My last rounds were +9 over 9, and +1 over 9.

When its just too cold, I'll try to swing a weighted club or Orange Whip every couple days and do the living room putting.

The season is year round where I'm located, so nothing changes. Just a constant grind of range and/or practice rounds 3-5 days a week (with a few full rounds thrown in when possible).

Our season is nearing the end here. It is just part of golf in Indiana, to have the winter down time. I hate the winter, but nothing I can do about it right now, so just like the past 45 years, I'll take the winter off and work on putters and other clubs, and wait for spring. It only takes a few rounds in the spring to get things going again.

Back in NY I'd hit the range for just a small bucket every 1-3 weeks depending upon mood. My goal was just to keep the swing feeling familiar. I'd also putt semi-regularly in the house on the Big Moss.

Worked well enough for me as it usually only took a couple of rounds to regain my full swing form, 5-7 or so for the short game to start rounding into form.

Last winter was my first in NC. Range visit was replaced by a round every week or two or three, weather permitting. Scores remained pretty similar through this season compared to seasons past but I sure preferred the "off-season" process. ?

I don't play as much and due to course conditions I lower my expectations. That's what I think before I get there. When there I try to do everything the same as normal which seldom works!

Even when I was on the west coast, the play wasn't as frequent due to less daylight - although I probably got more winter rounds in than I'll get out here. But at any rate, I typically approach the round pretty much the same way, still trying to manage the course like I normally would - making adjustments for temperature and grass conditions of course. While it is technically a "practice round" of sorts, gotta practice how you play.

Now, I WILL generally try to get a fitting and make any swing tweaks during the offseason rather than during the season itself, because it means if I make any major changes to my bag setup or mechanics, I have lots of time to adjust and ingrain before it "counts". I'll be planning to get to Club Champion during their sale season (assuming they do it again) this year to do the same.

Back