How often do you take driver off the tee?

I hit less than driver frequently and I'm pretty good with the driver. Usually if the hole is 375+ I will hit driver but thats certainly not always the case. I had a pretty tough 400 yard par 4 recently that I always miss with the driver, I hit 3 wood and was able to get on with a solid long iron from the fairway. I've even been known to hit 3/5 wood on par 5s. I am not a "on in two" kind of player and if I can avoid danger I have no problem going 3/5 wood, 9i, 9i. Playing to position and your strengths are what lead to lower scores, not simply proximity to the hole.

Depends on the course for sure. If I can hit less and get inside the 150, I'll do that. Another option that has been a blessing for me is hitting driver off the deck. I can hit 75% of my fairways with minimal distance loss; sometimes I'll go the whole round without putting a peg in the ground.

When I'm playing smart, anytime it's tight or short enough to allow a lower club that gets me in the 100-150 range, I'll bag the driver for whatever FW or hybo I'm most comfortable with that gets me to that range. That said, sometimes I just want to hit driver.

I'm not normal. I hit the driver more accurately (usually) than I do a FW or Hybrid, and am a short knocker, so I don't have to worry about hitting through many fairways. I find I can vary my distance by choking up on the driver. So, for the most part, I hit driver on every par 4 and 5.

I grab the driver pretty much every hole. I only drive 200-220ish so it works for me pretty much every hole.

I tend to pull my 16* hybrid more than anything. I say I pull driver 5-6 times a round. That being said, I hit my hybrid much more consistently than my driver which is why I tend to stick with it. If I believed in my driver more, I'd certainly be hitting it 10+ times a round b/c I'm better from 100 yards and in than I am from 100-150.

Every chance I get. I am not a long knocker so the more chances I get to put it out there, the better chance I have to hit shorter irons into greens.

My driver is my favorite club in the bag, so every opportunity I get.

Depends on lots of factors. If I'm not hitting the driver that well that day, I'll leave it in the bag a bunch. If I'm hitting it great, I'll pull it more often. Hole length and layout also plays a large part.

Mentally, I like pulling the driver because it keeps you aggressive and focused on a smaller target more often then not.

I didn't know there was any other option beside driver. i even hit it off the deck!

Too often, it's usually the club I have the most confidence in, after my go to hybrid broke years ago, I never found a suitable replacement, and haven't found any good wood options as a go to, so I usually just pull driver! Probably the wrong decision, but I can live with the consequences.

My course is fairly short, so I only tend to pull it on our par 5's and only two par 4's. Typically my rule of thumb is to pull driver if the hole is over 400 yards and there isnt too much trouble. Otherwise, conditions for the day would dictate when to use driver, i.e. into the wind or on a short par 4.

Every chance I get. I am not a long knocker so the more chances I get to put it out there, the better chance I have to hit shorter irons into greens.
Same here bud. Defiantly not a long hitter so I need every yard I can get. But when I do get a nice one it's 250+. My problem is just hitting the darn thing straight.

I love hitting driver, so I usually hit it any chance I can. On one of the courses I play quite frequently, I don't need driver except for two holes, but a lot of times it's just fun to bust driver and see how close to the green I can get.

I usually hit it 10/11 times. I try to find a comfortable distance for my second shot then chose what club to hit off the tee.

12 to 14 times a round, have been known to on a long par three. If you're not long hit your longest club.

Same here bud. Defiantly not a long hitter so I need every yard I can get. But when I do get a nice one it's 250+. My problem is just hitting the darn thing straight.

I dont believe anything you say anymore. #SundaySandbag :)

psshhh I got lucky that day man. I am pretty sure I didn't have any huge bombs that day. Mostly just straight or faded one. Man I miss my game I had then, would love to play like that all the time.
I dont believe anything you say anymore. #SundaySandbag :)

Unless the hole is very tight with a lot of trouble looming just off the fairway, any hole in excess of 350 is definite driver for me.

If the hole is < 370 I default to 3wood or iron unless there is ample room in landing area or possibly get extremely close to green.
If the hole has a big dogleg or potential to go through fairway, even on longer par 4's Im not hitting driver. Same goes for Par 5, if I cant realistically make it in 2, I will contemplate 3 wood or iron off the tee if it makes sense.

My home course has several instances where it takes driver out of my hand unless I make a high risk shot. I enjoy it because it makes me think on each shot, opposed to grip it and rip it.
Now sometimes, I throw caution to the wind and try to hit a 280+ drive over trees and a dogleg left, usually doesn't work out.

Hole 15, 557 from the back if we are feeling strong, usually play from one up @ 527. The hole literally takes driver out of my hand unless you hit a high shot left over the trees, and still is a 3 shot hole due to the forced carry in front of the green.
tumblr_njiuouvAxl1tlms37o1_540.png

I have always been a straight driver so "playing safe" was never part of the equation. I used to lay up short of hazards but as my length has suffered I find that I use driver on all par 4s and 5s.

I take driver any chance I can. It's the club I have the most confidence in other than the putter. So Driver for me on any par 4/5 that's 350 yards or longer.

I only grab it when I can launch 320 yard bombs.

#InternetGolfer

No, honestly - I will not grab it if the fairway is narrow since I have a two way miss. I'd much rather hit 3W or 5W and be shorter but in the fairway vs. in the trees or hitting 3 off the tee. So I'll grab driver as many times as the course dictates.

Every par 4/5 unless there is water for a forced carry anywhere between 200-250. Then I'll usually pull out the 4 or 5 iron.

My scores/handicap really suffer from this mentality. I should hit driver only on nice, long, wide open holes, and 3 wood or 3 iron on everything else (depending on hazard distances or hole layout).

I don't game hybrids and struggle with them.

Of course it depends on the hole, as others have stated. However during a normal round I'll usually hit driver 10 out of 14 opportunities.

Back