How often do you take driver off the tee?

Any hole longer then 350 I am pulling driver, minus a forced carry or dogleg where it isn't appropriate.

Totally agree with you on the testing part. I think I've sacrificed some course management in order to test out driver lately. If I can get inside 150 with less than driver, I'm probably going to do it unless it's a very wide open hole. I wish I could get more comfortable with my 3H and 3W to have more options, but right now it's driver or 4I.

You hit the frigging 4i so far why would you ever pull a driver! :bulgy-eyes: jk but not really

There are several par fours depending on the course and what tee box that I prefer to play a hybrid or my 5i. Until recently, pulling a driver was automatic death for me off the tee. Since making a couple of changes (mini & G25) I am wayyyyyyyyyyy more comfortable with the bigger guns.

I feel bad for anyone not in love with their 3 wood. Such a fun club to use and so versatile. Then again, I'm extremely envious of anyone who is in love with their driver. I just want to #Boomit but don't like playing from the woods :dont-know:

I'd pull one if I had one. Which is why I don't have one so I won't have the urge to pull it. :) To quote Cookie, golf is more fun from the fairway. Drivers != fairways for me.

more often than not i will grab driver. some of the course i play have holes that bring to much trouble into play so no driver there, but any other par4 or 5 driver is usually in my hand.

99% of the time, I am just not long enough to do anything else. There are exceptions of course but I prefer to be as close to the green as possible, I am confident in my wedge game no matter the distance.

Most of the time I'll hit driver. I only hit it between 240-260 so even short par 4's of 320-340 are a good wedge in for me. Although, there is one par 4 of 300 where I play that has trouble at 200, 220, 240 and 280 where I play my 4i to get a 130-140 shot into the green.

14/14 on par 4 and 5's. I have even pulled driver on a par 3 which was a bit long for me and had significant water carry (wound up with par, so it worked). But yeah, I am a short knocker so as long as I'm driving well that day, it gets pulled pretty much every time. Now, whether or not my course management sucks is another question that needs to be asked.

My driver carry is less than most THPers 5i so unless the design of the par 4/5 has trouble in my normal landing zone, I have to hit driver if I want a shot at par.

Too often.
I should keep my ego in check.
And I am not good with my driver. So maybe the correct answer for me is "never".

Almost every time. Unless I am having a bad day with the driver or if my normal driver distance will go through a fairway or if it will put me in a hazard.

Reading through a lot of responses about not hitting driver, makes me realize...I need to find my favorite iron distance. I can tell you that it is definitely not 150. And it's not 100 either. Figuring out that number and playing to it on par 4s (and to that number in 2 for unreachable, haha, par 5s) would probably take a few strokes off my schizo golf game.

It depends on trouble areas, and doglegs against my natural shot shape.

Usually, on all par 5's.

Some par 4's if it is reachable, no hazards, and it will get close to green if not ON the green.

Jack

I used to just hit it blindly on par 4s and 5s and would sometimes leave myself with some awkward yardages so I have no problem hitting 3w, 3h, or 4i on some shorter par 4s.

I would say that I hit driver off the tee about 80% of the time. Right now driver is my best club so I will hit it whenever possible.

If the course has room for the driver then I'll try it.

It depends how confident I am with my current driver. I can tell you right now with the 815 confidence is sky high and I pull driver 11-12 times a round. If not, then I'll pull the club that gets me to the 150yd marker.

If there's room for a driver on the hole I'm hitting it. There are always holes that require placement or accuracy over distance and in those cases I'll hit the appropriate club. I love the driver.

Unless there is trouble I can reach or some other reason (like a dogleg), I take driver on any hole not a par 3. That's all 12 par 4 and par 5 holes at my course.

As often as possible as long as the extra distance doesn't bring additional trouble into play.
I feel just as confident hitting driver/partial wedge into a green than hybrid/full wedge or 9 iron

This for me too. I'm definitely not any more accurate playing a full wedge than I am a 3/4 or 1/2 wedge. In fact, I'm probably less accurate.

I'm not the longest hitter by any means, but I use driver less and less the more I play. If I can get to 160 (7 iron) or closer without driver I hardly ever pull it. Not that I suck with the driver because I'm pretty consistent with it, but just feel more comfortable being in the fairway than anywhere else.

If there's room for a driver on the hole I'm hitting it. There are always holes that require placement or accuracy over distance and in those cases I'll hit the appropriate club. I love the driver.
To be fair, I'm not sure I've seen anyone as consistent with a driver as you were with the old Titleist driver you were rockin' during our practice round at Caledonia.

I am comfortable hitting from the 130-150 range so I find that often dictates what I am using off the tee. So since I don't have a home course, it varies from round the round for me.

Usually about 6 to 8 times. Really depends on the course. At my home course where I've visited the most remote places and know my way around, it may be about 10 times.

To be fair, I'm not sure I've seen anyone as consistent with a driver as you were with the old Titleist driver you were rockin' during our practice round at Caledonia.

Thanks buddy, you too. I spend a lot of time on every club in my bag and barring I don't drink too much coffee lol I can get it going after a couple holes.

Back