Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Cash is safe, but if you really think a crash is coming, gold and commodities often take off in uncertain times.

Another move is to buy some high-dividend stocks like ATT, utilities, WPC.

Always, always maintain your STOP orders is the most important thing. If you can't stay on top of it, the $1000/year you'd spend with a Financial Planner is well worth it.

While gold/commodities can certainly increase in uncertain times, in a large-scale sell-off funds of various flavors (including commodity funds) are "risk-off" and divest of everything they can while maintaining alignment with any prospectus requirements. That said, it's an option, but commodities are very volatile and should be allocated accordingly.

The energy selloff is creating opportunities in that space, but at this point it is probably still a falling knife - but eventually I will be moving into that sector as value is starting to present itself.

A market only works if there are buyers and sellers. You must figure out what the sellers will be buying. Most large institutional funds/market makers can't just sit on cash. Typically if they can, in a sell-off they'll fly to high-quality assets with adequate cash reserves/flow - treasuries, high-quality corp bonds/large cap w/ dividends. Look for yield/dividends. In this persistently low rate environment (probably going to continue, heck the 10y yield today is ~1.96%!), managers hunt for excess yield because price returns aren't going to be there in a sell-off.

I agree. I wouldn't buy anything in or when anticipating a crash without professional advice. Having said that though, I've always made money with Gold in troubled times and with Gold and Oil when war or political crisis arise. People still often flock to gold and precious metals in doubtful times and them and energy commodities in crisis...at least at first.

The only thing I really fear these days is the next major terrorist attack. No time to respond to those. What if the rumored dirty nuclear device ISIS says it has in EU is set off, or another 9/11 here.

Just checking in to see what everyone is thinking after a few weeks of market turbulence (relative to the past few years).

Been watching GoPro tumble as of late and after the earnings came out WAY ahead of speculation expected them to make a come back. Their opening today was over $6 less than their close yesterday it appeared so I jumped on it. I get that the COO resigned, but with earnings that good, it seemed like a safe bet.

So far its starting to climb back up and as long as it gets to its close yesterday (which is still way down considering where it was), I am in good shape.

I have been on the sidelines for a few months now. Haven't paid attention at all. I just looked, and the star of my portfolio continues to be Disney. I thought it was crazy when it went to $80, and today we are over $102. I have a lot in index funds right now, with the bulk of it being in SPY, which has done pretty well.

interesting that GoPro has lost more than 10% just today

I made a very nice chunk as a result of LinkedIns stock value increase. Bought in around $18 a share a few years ago...

Tap tap taparoo

interesting that GoPro has lost more than 10% just today

See above though. Its actually still over a $1 up from where it opened this morning. Seemed like the easiest day trade I have seen to date.

I'm thinking about buying some GoPro but might wait until next week.

Overall I'm still a bull as I think cheap oil will continue to drive the market up the next 8-12 months. It's amazing to think that the Dow and Nasdaq are up about 220% in the last 6 years. I'm hopeful but I don't think the next 6 years will give us the same 14% average return.

My best pick recently was listening to my next door neighbor when he started at Facebook a couple years ago. I got in at $26 in May of 2013 and the stock is now at $75. Wish I would have bought more.

Last edited:
yea, Im just supised to see it still heading down more than 50% off its high, especially after the last earnings came out

I'm loving the stock market this week... I'm up about 10% on the week.

I'm going to dabble in Stock Trading. Any trade site recommendations for a newb? I know of the mainstream, popular ones, but looking for any personal feedback. Thanks.

I'm going to dabble in Stock Trading. Any trade site recommendations for a newb? I know of the mainstream, popular ones, but looking for any personal feedback. Thanks.

Still using Schwab and still like it.

I like Scottrade and vanguard

I use etrade. The 9.99 is kinda pricey if you trade a lot(which I don't) but I like the app for both android and iPad. Which is where I do most of my trading from.

Worked for scottrade and use TD Ameritrade. As long as you stick with the familiar names you'll be ok. Low commissions and low/no fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loving this... I had another 13% day today. NADL and APDN have been looking good for me.

I am tempted by gopro stock but cant pull the trigger yet for some reason.

What's holding you back?

All these stocks I see present day that I 'wanted' to buy a few years back, I could have made 400-500% my investment.

I was in and out on it and made about 8% in 7 hours.
Now it went down again and I am about to jump back in.

I wish I knew anything at all about the stock market.

I wish I knew anything at all about the stock market.

If you are young invest for the long term, diversify, low cost index funds are great for most people, don't panic if market goes down, don't take stock advice from TV, if you buddy tells you about a hot stock they made $ on ask him about his loser stocks!

Back