Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

Played a chrome soft for the majority of my round today. Solid ball no doubt about it! Survived a cart path bounce with only a little scuff.

They're definitely solid.

I love a lower compression type ball, so its no wonder I've gotten on so well with them. Plus, they're cheaper than my RX's.

They're definitely solid.

I love a lower compression type ball, so its no wonder I've gotten on so well with them. Plus, they're cheaper than my RX's.
I bought a bunch of RXs at the end of the season but am playing the chrome soft in the winter months.

I bought a bunch of RXs at the end of the season but am playing the chrome soft in the winter months.

I've still got I think 4 dozen RX myself, but I really do believe these will be what I load up on here soon.

Either way, we can't go wrong playing wither of those my friend!

I've still got I think 4 dozen RX myself, but I really do believe these will be what I load up on here soon.

Either way, we can't go wrong playing wither of those my friend!
My mind says "don't play the expensive ball in the winter" my swings says "you'll loose them no matter what!" Either way distance is good with the chrome soft and the feel isn't harsh in February so it's a win for me.

My mind says "don't play the expensive ball in the winter" my swings says "you'll loose them no matter what!" Either way distance is good with the chrome soft and the feel isn't harsh in February so it's a win for me.

I hear that. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wan to try them on a 75+ degree day soon. Hopefully.

I need to buy a sleeve and give these a go.

Chrome Soft Review

Background: 16HCP playing. Swing Speed of 95. Usually play the Bridgestone RXS.

Today's Round: 48 degrees in Virginia. Greens were a bit hard due to cold weather.

I have never been much of fan of Callaway balls. Always felt that the hex design made the balls wear out and loose its shine faster than other balls. However, I wanted to give this balls a go since I dont have an ultra fast swing speed and it is cold in Virginia. I figure a soft ball could help with those two issues.

Distance: Really impressed. I was getting mid season warm weather distance with every club in the bag. Maybe the semi hard fairways helped, but in my experience when I play in the winter distance usually suffers.

Pitching/Chipping: Much better than I expected. Some folks in this section had mentioned that it was similar to the RX, however, I found it to spin more than the RX. Maybe even more than my usual RXS. I did not get any unexpected roll out in the ENTIRE round.

Putting: I really liked it. This is obviously a personal thing, but I prefer a soft feeling at impact and this ball offers that. To give you an idea, I find the Q star to be too hard when putting.

Durability:On a scale of 1 being a 2012 Pro V1 and a 10 being a Srixon Z star Yellow. This is a 7. Much better than the chrome +, but nothing to write home about.

Parting thoughts: I really like the ball, but the price point is a bit higher than I am comfortable paying. I will try the Duo Spin and compare performance since it is a bit more affordable. However, I will happily play this one on a special outing.

Last edited:
I played with this one today in 17mph winds. One thing I had on my mind today was reinforcing what I saw previously with the green side spin, but also got to test it out into the wind on a majority of the holes.

Off the tee the ball performed great into the wind. The few times I saw distance loss was a swing result and not because of the ball. I was really surprised on how well it held its line into the wind.

On approach and wedge shots I'm checking the ball more with these vs the SR2's or B330RX's. With the latter I was used to a one hop and roll out. With the Chrome Soft it was one hop and stop or spin sideways or back. This was on pretty firm greens that were rolling about a 12 if I had to guess. This has allowed me to be more aggressive with approach/wedge shots and I was rewarded a few times.

I swapped out putters and rolled my MXM#7 today. Off that face the ball felt softer than the SR2/B330-RX, but not by much IMO.

Overall I'm impressed and based on the price point these will be the gamer for 2015 unless I find a deal on the SR2/B330-RX.

It's interesting im seeing a few comparisons to the RX. I just don't see it. To me the rx balloons and plays shorter, But that's me. The chromesoft doesn't balloon on me and I have seen no loss of distance.

follow up, this weekend at the course, great ball, only thing that's different for me is off the driver it doesn't have the firm feel I like beside that it's a great ball, young guys, older guys all using them and trying them this weekend, fast swingers slow swingers, main thing I heard this weekend they loved them around the green and putting. I live in KY rural area so we all just try each others equipment, two hours from a box store.

Im looking forward to playing in Kentucky this year at the THP Event.

Its funny I am the exact opposite how I love the feel of a soft ball off the driver. I think its why I gravitate towards lower compression because it works so well for me based on fitting.

I played these for 18 holes this weekend. I love the feel off all of my clubs, especially the putter. Spin isn't going to be accurate right now with how frozen most of our green still are, but on one hole I was about 45 yards off the green in a bunker, picked it clean, and watched it bounce once and spin back about 5 feet.

It's interesting im seeing a few comparisons to the RX. I just don't see it. To me the rx balloons and plays shorter, But that's me. The chromesoft doesn't balloon on me and I have seen no loss of distance.

One thing to note is that the RX does have a higher ball flight than the Chrome Soft, but I would not call it ballooning for me. Distance off the driver has been marginally tested & the Chrome Soft has been longer, but not by drastic yardages.

Where these two separate for me is with Iron & Wedge shots. I am more often than not spinning these or getting immediate checkup, where the RX on hop and rolled out for me.

I bought some, now I need some weather to see if they work for me. The reviews are great guys. I really appreciate your time and opinion!!

Im looking forward to playing in Kentucky this year at the THP Event.

Its funny I am the exact opposite how I love the feel of a soft ball off the driver. I think its why I gravitate towards lower compression because it works so well for me based on fitting.

I agree JB. I am finding this ball as soft off the driver as I did the original chrome, and it definitely seems to go a bit further for me.

Funny exchange I had with a friend who was playing pro V1's and called them a "marshmallow" off the tee. I gave him a soft to try and he swears the pro v1 felt the same! Even in my younger, much faster swinging days, I never thought they were soft, and definitely not as soft as the chrome soft. Amazing how feel is such a personal thing!

Got to play Chrome Soft for 18 with darnall yesterday. Huge change from our first bone chilling round, while yesterday was windy, we were blessed with record warm weather this weekend (60s during our round). CS continues to impress and I want to point out a couple high points.

Off the tee, especially into the wind, this ball flat works for me (both of us). I'm not super skilled, but I was able to flight this lower and straight if need be, on some tight tough holes into the wind. Also, when the opportunities arose, I was able to confidently shape it off the tee to ride the wind and hit some bombs (for me). My typical ball flight is right to left but there were 4 or 5 down/quartering wind holes that called for a fade. Not just that shape but they were lined with tall mature lines of trees down the left side and to maximize the wind benefit you had to envision your ball sailing along over the tops of them and then to turn right and drift to the fairway. For a hooker that's not normal (especially with OB just left of the tree lines). But my confidence in this ball doing as I envisioned was such that I pulled these drives off perfectly each time. darnall did too on those same holes yet drew his ball when need be into the wind.

I hit some scoring shots that flat blew me away yesterday too. I've been playing urethane all season (primarily FG Tour and e5) so I expect certain results. The incident that really rocked me occurred on hole #2. I was only about 10 yards left but I short sided myself behind a little mound to a down hill pin with about 10-12 feet of green. I attempted to slide under it and hit a stiff-wristed high open faced lob, so I swung significantly harder than the distance demanded. I caught it thin, lining it just over the mound and hitting about 6 feet onto the green with lots of speed. What happened next floored me. The ball hopped low once to about pin high then seemed to sit there a split second spinning (ON A DOWNSLOPE?) then it released leaving me a little 3 footer for my par. I've hit similar short sided shot thousands of times and mishit it the same way probably hundreds, going way back to balatas. Never seen anything like this before. Wait, that's not true, I've seen others do similar things infrequently, but NEVER ME. Lies were thin everywhere (dormant grass, snow melted away on Thurs) and I know I mishit my chip into #1 thin too and it left me an easy up and down, but that was uphill and a simple standard chip. Within the next few holes I confidently spun a pair of bunker shots (wet dense sand) to within 3 feet too. This ball is just a winner for me!

Last edited:
Played a round of golf yesterday and played the Chrome Soft for about 9 holes and divided the other 9 holes between the Bridgestone B330RX and Wilson FG Tour. The Chrome Soft continues to impress. I really like the ball and it does seem longer off the irons, hybrids and fairway woods. Might be a little longer off the driver as well. It seems to be very special with the hybrids and fairway metal shots. I wasn't hitting the irons very well yesterday but it is over a half club longer with those. The ball has an absolutely beautiful flight to it off my hybrids and 17 degree fairway wood on fairly good strikes. The swing speed is declining and I do good to hit 90 mph with the driver nowadays but this ball is producing some good distance for my swing and increasing the confidence somewhat. On better drives it seems like it might be 5 + yards longer for me than other balls I have been playing. Some of the best results with this club so far has been fairway medals and hybrids. Been struggling with the irons lately but on decent swings this ball performs. One particular shot from yesterday stands out, had a shot of about 175-180 yards to a back pin on a par 4, slight headwind, would have taken a good swing to get my current golf ball all the way to the hole, put a pretty good swing on the Chrome Soft and the ball was right online the whole way, pretty flight. The ball flew 180-185 yards, directly over the flag stick, hit about a foot from the fringe and stopped within two feet after hitting on a very slight downslope, afterwards wished I would have used the 4 hybrid. Really liking this golf ball. Also liked the B330RX and Wilson Staff FG Tour but the Chrome soft appears to perform a little better than both. As far as durability the Chrome Soft appears to be pretty good but not in the outstanding category based on what I have seen thus far. As it looks right now, the Chrome Soft has become my number 1 golf ball.

Just played the Chromesoft last week in Phoenix. 5 rounds with it. Great ball. Long (maybe partly altitude/temperature + I am hitting a longer too) and good stick on full swings. High irons to short par 3's stick or just one hop and spin. Longer par 3's got some release and may 8-10' run out. The only time I ran through a green is when I took too much club. Maybe a little too much run out on short chips but that's also a part of my game that needs some tuning so I can't say it is the ball. Putting, I think is fine although I didn't putt particularly well last week - only one course was one I knew and I putted well there, the rest were tricky greens/local knowledge (particularly in the mountains) so I will attribute the bad putting to my inability to read those greens and commit (heck, I three putted a par 3 from 3 foot for bogey Sunday by just missing the first putt on a fast green - I'm certain that wasn't the ball).

So, I stocked up on e6's and now I'm going to switch to Chromesofts this year.

I had a chance to play the Chrome Soft again yesterday, while still not optimal conditions it was a fairer test. I'll echo the comments about the feel off woods, definitely soft which is something I like. I also thought it paired very nicely with the new Odyssey Works putter I put in the bag - nice soft and true roll off of this face. Saw a little more spin with my 58 degree then I had the previous 2 trys, the ground was a bit dryer so I could clip it better. As for distance I'm getting almost identical yardage as I was with the Chrome +. When compared against the + I also feel the soft doesn't hold its line as well in the wind, which I know is contrary to what others are reporting. Still looking forward to trying this ball some more, my game is nowhere near where I'd like it to be so I'm not certain my testing is all that meaningful at the moment.

Based on the feedback in here, I'm going to have to add this to my list of must tries for this year. After my rounds this weekend, perhaps a comparison with the new e5...

The chromesoft is an excellent ball. It's not like any ball I've played. It has a firm yet softer feel then my gamer. It spins great around the greens and really tends to.hang in the air a good bit. Almost like I'm getting a few extra yards due to the hang time.

The chromesoft is an excellent ball. It's not like any ball I've played. It has a firm yet softer feel then my gamer. It spins great around the greens and really tends to.hang in the air a good bit. Almost like I'm getting a few extra yards due to the hang time.
Freddie:
I have not had the opportunity to meet you but everyone seems to ask you golf advice. I hope you won't mind. Do you think this ball would work for an old guy 90ish swing speed, moderate tempo, low ball hitter? Thanks

Freddie:
I have not had the opportunity to meet you but everyone seems to ask you golf advice. I hope you won't mind. Do you think this ball would work for an old guy 90ish swing speed, moderate tempo, low ball hitter? Thanks

Mike, Freddie will chime in with his advice, I'm sure. But, based on my brief experience with the CS, I think you'll like it. I'm older than you and with a similar swing speed and it's working quite well for me so far (only 2 rounds with it). I'm a high ball hitter, however. I played it yesterday and will give some feedback in my next post.

Yes it will, will you see what I see, most likely not but means nothing. This ball is for everyone that wants to play it. If you want a couple sleeves, PM me your address and Ill drop a sleeve in the mail for you. I ask that you offer up some honest feedback here and on twitter. (Johnny Rodriguez to be exact)

Freddie:

Yes it will, will you see what I see, most likely not but means nothing. This ball is for everyone that wants to play it. If you want a couple sleeves, PM me your address and Ill drop a sleeve in the mail for you. I ask that you offer up some honest feedback here and on twitter. (Johnny Rodriguez to be exact)

I really think you nailed it there, this ball truly is for all.

Also class act offering him a sleeve.

Back