Changing irons... Again... And again...

Yep, I am on the 545 train now and if today was any indication these could be in the bag for a long time and with the investment of the Aerotech's it is even more motivation.
I have been guilty of changing about every 6 months or so, mostly just because I enjoy the journey of the new search. But this time (and my wife is still laughing at me for saying it to her today) the 545's are the ones that could make a year or more.

I've changed a few times and I've been playing (for real) just over 2 years. Each time I got an increase in performance (save for the TaylorMades that were too stiff for me), although I'm still playing a set that's a few years old. I'm fairly sure a newer set may give me more benefits, especially if I take my time demo'ing sets, but I'm sort of at that stage where it's far more the carpenter than the tools.

I love new and shiny though, and that's been a consistent issue for me across every hobby I have.

I've changed a few times and I've been playing (for real) just over 2 years. Each time I got an increase in performance (save for the TaylorMades that were too stiff for me), although I'm still playing a set that's a few years old. I'm fairly sure a newer set may give me more benefits, especially if I take my time demo'ing sets, but I'm sort of at that stage where it's far more the carpenter than the tools.

I love new and shiny though, and that's been a consistent issue for me across every hobby I have.

Mine too... My other hobby was music... Guitars aren't cheap... lol

In the past 7 years, I've owned 5 guitars, 4 amps, and I currently have 3 drum kits. I know what you mean, all too well!!!!

Just remember that the only person you need to please is yourself, enjoy!

I know you said you are trading and such, but irons are so expensive that I tend to stick with a set at least two seasons. They do seem to have a steeper learning curve than other parts of the bag to me since you are trying to achieve very specific distances and gaps between clubs.

If you are having trouble finding something that is just right, I would really recommend a fitting. I know for me with the Apex irons that I tried them multiple times with the stock shafts and they were just ok. Going and getting fit for them, and in my case finding the pairing of them with the KBS Tour V shafts in a regular flex (I had been playing a stiff flex) just really allowed them to sing for me.

If you are having trouble finding something that is just right, I would really recommend a fitting. I know for me with the Apex irons that I tried them multiple times with the stock shafts and they were just ok. Going and getting fit for them, and in my case finding the pairing of them with the KBS Tour V shafts in a regular flex (I had been playing a stiff flex) just really allowed them to sing for me.

This for sure. I'm in the process of going this route to try and stop my equipment flipping. In the near term it may cause a little investment, but then I'm gonna stick with what comes out of it and sell off the lions share of the rest.

This for sure. I'm in the process of going this route to try and stop my equipment flipping. In the near term it may cause a little investment, but then I'm gonna stick with what comes out of it and sell off the lions share of the rest.

That is exactly it...I resisted for a long time because of the up front cost, and thinking that I wasn't consistent enough to benefit enough. It was really eye opening to me how different the characteristics could be in separate hollow steel tubes (shafts).

Keep in mind, I don't go to Golfsmith and buy a new set off the rack every few months! Would be nice to have that kind of money, though!
I do a lot of trading here and there. Wheeling and dealing type of stuff. I find it fun. I want to try everything out there. And I do keep everything long enough to get a fair shake.

This may be your problem lol

I've been playing with the same irons for the past 12-13 years. I just ordered a new set Srixon Z545s. It took me awhile to find the right feeling clubs. Tried Callaway Apex and Taylormade RSi2 & RSi4. Liked the way TM RSi2s felt but eventually settled on the Srixons. Good luck on your search.

I say buy what makes you happy. My advice would be to never buy something you don't like the looks of, eventually you will sell them. The apex irons you want are great clubs, real good. After buying them, go have them bent, shafted and designed for you. Then I think you will be happy.

you certainly don't need 3 months to decide if you like clubs as has been suggested, that's ridiculous. Look, feel, and accuracy! Go for it!

In the past 7 years, I've owned 5 guitars, 4 amps, and I currently have 3 drum kits. I know what you mean, all too well!!!!
I hear that. I'm a gear junkie in both music and golf. 5 drum kits, 12 snares, 30 cymbals, 2 PA systems, and most pathetic is I have 4 guitars and only know 3 chords. I'm a drummer. Also looking at an iron change. Playing G20s and thinking about Rocket Bladez.

This may not be a mainstream view, but you want a set of irons that have stood the test of time. They have been used by hackers and pros. Of course I am talking about a used set of Ping Eye 2's. Knowing the irons aren't the problem is half the battle imo.

I have been on and off gaming the Eye 2's the past few years. I just cant deal with a 7 iron from 140. Other than that amazing clubs

I think I see now what the problem is. I'm a bass player, and I'm guilty of the exact same thing with my gear. Should only need 4 strings and an amp, but there are *so* many variations!

A word of advice, don't ever get into motorcycles. Been riding for 8 years, my 10th bike is in the garage right now.

I would just find out what is important to you. Whether your a fan of a brand or type of club only you will truly connect. To have a good golf swing you have to be in love with your own swing. To keep your irons and to trust them you have to love them. Find out what matters to you and buy the right set and then remember most of the time it's the Indian not the arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of it depends on why you are switching your irons. If you are changing because you like the "newness" of new irons, then you might never find "the one". However, if you are changing because they just don't work for you, then I think it's only a matter of time before you find a set that does work for you.

Srixon 545s were the ones for me.

Beautiful appearance, great feel, and incredible forgiveness. Truly the total package that will be staying in my bag for many years to come

Yep, I am on the 545 train now and if today was any indication these could be in the bag for a long time and with the investment of the Aerotech's it is even more motivation.
I have been guilty of changing about every 6 months or so, mostly just because I enjoy the journey of the new search. But this time (and my wife is still laughing at me for saying it to her today) the 545's are the ones that could make a year or more.

Let's see i played Epons for 7 years, Adams CB3s last season, and now Srixon 545s , and i see them lasting like the Epons did.

I've been playing three and a half years, and I have gone through about 11 sets of irons, not having one longer than 6 months. I'm sure it's not normal, but can I look forward to a time when I come across "the one" and never want to change again?

Can you list the 11 sets you have played?

Sounds like you're more of a tinkerer that loves new shiny things. Nothing wrong with that! I'm the exact opposite where I stick with my clubs for the long term. My previous set of irons I had for over 9 years. Although joining THP has given me a bit of an urge to change clubs (which I've been in the process of since getting a Full Bag Fitting at Club Chamption). But either way you go, there's no right or wrong. It's personal preference. I think the big thing is to ask yourself where you'd like to end up in 2 years or 5 years. Where do you want your handicap to be? What do you want your game to look like? Do you really want a set that doesn't change much? Until you know what you want, I'd think it'd be hard to stop changing up. Good luck!

I say keep looking, and don't rule something out because you think it's above your level. I just put a set of Callaway X Forged irons in the bag (The set cost me less than some used SeeMores), and I hit them for the first time at the range today and fell in love. And this is definitely an iron I can grow with as my game improves. Do I have the game to play the same irons as Phil Mickelson? Nope. Am I going to game them and enjoy the heck out of it? Yessir. :act-up:

I say keep looking, and don't rule something out because you think it's above your level. I just put a set of Callaway X Forged irons in the bag (The set cost me less than some used SeeMores), and I hit them for the first time at the range today and fell in love. And this is definitely an iron I can grow with as my game improves. Do I have the game to play the same irons as Phil Mickelson? Nope. Am I going to game them and enjoy the heck out of it? Yessir. :act-up:
This is why I bought Apexes. They're a bit more "better player" clubs, but I looooove the look of them and when I test hit them I loved the feel and feedback. They're not terribly forgiving, but in my mind they'll be "game improvement" in the sense that they encourage me to improve my game rather than masking my mistakes.

I played the same Taylormade RACs for 7 or 8 years up until Christmas 2013. I got a new set of Tour Edge CU's for Christmas and I was SUPER excited to start playing them. I gave them 6 months and just never got comfortable with them. Went to my fitter and had a set of Tom Wishon 575mmc irons custom built to my specs with the shaft that fit me the best put in them (KBS Tours). Best golf decision I've made to date. The 575's aren't terribly forgiving but I went with the cavity backs so they aren't too bad. They've made me a better ball striker for sure. I believe the shaft is what held the CU's back for me. They had the Dynalite 90 shafts and were just too lite for me. I don't see the Wishon's going anywhere anytime soon.

Back