Could You Tell What Ball?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If THP did a test and put down 6 golf balls in the 100 yard spot and none had logos on them. You are not bending over to move them or picking them up to examine dimples. Could you tell one ball from the other? Could you tell type of ball from another? Brand?

Doubt it.

Could You Tell What Ball?

Type of ball? Most likely by the reaction on the green.

Definitely not brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. But I could tell low compression and higher compression. But everything else, no way.

Depends on how different the golf balls are. All premium? Probably not. But if you had one B330 and one Ultra, absolutely.

I doubt I could.

Could tell type of ball by how it feels maybe, definitely not brand I dont think.

Probably not.

Like JT said, I could tell a quality ball from a RAM, but thats about it.

If similar balls, not a chance. If I hit a Pinnacle and a SuperSoft, I could tell one was a rock and one was a pro level urethane cover ball. Probably would guess the brands and models of each type of ball wrong though.

I'd like to think I could tell the type of ball.
I've started playing a soft ball, so when I hit one of the harder distance balls, the ball feels like a rock.

Would be fun to try.

I doubt it.

Type of ball, not likely. Brand, no way.

based on feel (sound) I seriously doubt it... maybe urethane cover vs. surlyn but I really doubt that as well.. Based on how a good strike reacts on the green, I think I could pick urethane vs. surlyn.

Not a chance....although I may be able to pick out a Top Flite :)

I am going with no. Might be able to tell a lower compression ball from higher and maybe urethane cover vs not, but with the type of swing I'd be taking from 100 yards, all of that might just be a crapshoot.

Bridgestone would be the only one I could tell without getting too close just because of the dimple pattern. Other than that, no way.

Not at all. I even question my own balls. Is that mine? Am I sure I hit it there?

I don't know, I think I could make educated guesses or maybe luck out and get one or two right. But with any certainty, no way

Only thing I think I could tell the difference in is, between urethane and surlyn cover by the feel and spin

I used to think I could tell a proV1 from 100 yards, but then I tested the Monsta Golf Ball, and got exactly the same 'spin back' action on the greens. Like literally, within inches. So no. I could not.

However, if you asked me to hit driver or 3 wood with a bunch of golf balls, I could probably tell you which one was the ProV1 and that the other 5 balls were 'something else.' ProV1 has always had a different launch and flight path for me off the tee, and I think I could recognize it.

~Rock

I might be able to feel and see a difference in some, but I would not be able to know with any sort of certaintly who made them or what line they were from.

No chance that I could tell.

Back