Live Minnesota THP Driver Testing - Reviews As They Happen

Perfect that was the one we had in the 815 down here. JB what length is that RIP at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So nobody hit the Srixon driver?

Congrats to snoprojoe and hox30 on the win! Great playing with you all again and meeting some new faces!

Some more pictures of widespot, badgers86, and golfever on the 18th tee in the first round. Widespot was swinging the fly z +, badgers86 as a lefty continued to crush his amp cell pro, and golfever was crushing the vapor on this hole.

Widespot:

517639f1e8633b1d1a412eb19c4fc5f7.jpg

f19fdeeb2730caa2dcc379425c3c8d03.jpg

Badgers86:

310d309f315a3261d89a1e903aede08c.jpg

a53b94cc06b5fad84fd5ec4a7aca8737.jpg

Golfever:

de9a8a104d1e7bff8ba819983f03b0da.jpg

2a898e032d123d54d900cb0464bea836.jpg

18 was a great looking hole from the tee. I played it from the right rough both times tho.

Out of the drivers we have I hit the fly-z+ the best. I hit the g30 on the range and liked that. I hit the BB815 on the range really well. Great pics.

The Srixon and the 815 were the only 2 on the list that did not see action. It was my fault as a shaft packing incident took place.

Ok, only a day late, but lets get some thoughts down.

Range session:
20150516_074456_zpseltopsbf.jpg

20150516_080949_zps3pdlc3rp.jpg

20150516_080952_zpstiklhilp.jpg

20150516_081428_zpsrxngye3k.jpg

20150516_082117_zps5qjkjdxh.jpg

20150516_082514_zpsj6bpkydo.jpg

20150516_084350_zpsplazjm7d.jpg

20150516_084354_zpsxwslglmh.jpg

20150516_084405_zpspwfavapr.jpg

20150516_090504_zps3qeyu7gh.jpg

20150516_085016_zpsjgomv1wn.jpg

20150516_085019_zpsaqxhl4ii.jpg

20150516_091744_zpsqxmsgiw9.jpg

20150516_093245_zpst8uedw6t.jpg

20150516_094546_zps93xeaa5f.jpg

20150516_094814_zps3cjvxjaz.jpg

The Srixon and the 815 were the only 2 on the list that did not see action. It was my fault as a shaft packing incident took place.

You are forgiven...

20150516_095920_zpsetatdrpr.jpg

20150516_105336_zps8rxcpfov.jpg

20150516_113729_zpslgeq0pyx.jpg

Hawk with a huge up and down.
42228c64d4cbfe82f6be294f8512db92.jpg
1d10daa569ad3278369d33d839ec3fa7.jpg
He started chipping those in on the back!
Any more flightscope data going to posted?
Sorry it's a bit blurry and selfie esque.

Back in IL. Whirlwind trip.

Good times people. Thanks for that. Had a mediocre round and a rotten one. That's about what I expected, so it's all good.

Great meeting all the new folks and seeing some old friends.
Sorry we couldn't pull it off buddy, but it was awesome to tee it up again.

Hopefully I can solidify my thoughts tomorrow after a bit of sleep, but the best tidbit was on the first hole:

Joe hits a good drive a bit to the right, hits his second while the rest of us were trying to make it to the green, when we get up there we walk all over the place circle the green and he and Fairbagger say did anyone check the hole, nope, Joe walks up and up go his arms, "It's in the hole" Hole out eagle to start, not too shabby and the took the hole, without a stroke! Rambler and I should have saw the writing on the wall. An amazing shot to experience, wish I would have saw it go in. Morning round was so much fun competing matchplay, sorry Jeremy, and the PM was a bit better, sorry Hawk. But even without winning, it was still so much fun, an amazing setup, layout, format and always good to tee it up with a bunch of THPers and awesome food, all you can eat sushi and the rest of that menu for $25 was a steal!

Thanks Icey! I was thinking more along the lines that the data would be compiled for each club and uploaded from the iPad, vs trying to take shots of the screen. I realize that would take more time than you guys had though. Good numbers btw

RANGE TIME:
I tried to get as many swings in with different drivers on the range as I could. Ended up hitting the D200, all three Nike drivers, Callaway XR, one of the Cobra drivers (I think the Fly-Z) and the Cleveland Black Custom.

I thought they all felt pretty good, distance looked pretty similar.

Nike Vapor Flex was probably my least favorite of the 3 Nike offerings, but the other two (Pro & Speed) I thought were the best looking and most solid feeling (i know its a personal preference thing) of all the drivers I hit that morning.

Cleveland Black Custom - Loved the look of it, and I loved the original Cleveland Black, but I just felt a little off with it. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but I was picking up a rattle in the clubhead when I was on the range.

Callaway XR - probably the longest of the bunch for me at the range, felt really nice, definitely going to try and get more swings in with one of them now that I am home

Wilson Staff D200 - surprised the heck out of me. Really like what I saw out of it. Very similar distance wise to the others I thought (things went haywire when I got it later on set to Draw), but when set Neutral I thought it was something I would definitely put in my bag.

ON COURSE TESTING
FRONT 9
We had the Knuth, the Ping SF Tech, and JB's Big Bertha Alpha 815 for our first 9. I ended up spreading the drives out pretty well with Knuth and Ping both snagging three tee shots a piece, and the BBA 815 once.

Knuth High-Heat surprised the heck out of me. For something that looks like a driver that 99% of the market would overlook just based on looks alone, I thought performance wise it was right up there with everything I hit today. The sound is a bit out there (it and the D200 were the loudest I thought all day).

Ping SF Tech - decent distance, pleasant sound, and if you can ignore the turbulators I thought the matte black head was the sharpest of the day lookwise. One mishit, and two decent drives had this one as the early favorite for me for on-course testing.

BBA 815 - I just didn't put a good swing on it, and didn't hit it enough times to make any sort of a decision with it. Definitely need to test a bit more locally, really enjoy the look of it.

BACK 9
PING LS TEC & Wilson Staff D200

Ping LS Tec - most drives of the day for me today (5 in total) - long and center of the fairway drives for me had it as my favorite of the day.......... until JB mentioned it was similar tech to the SLDR. (I can't hit the SLDR at all, have never been able to). As soon as he mentioned this, I mishit my final two drives of the day with it, and the love affair had soured with the LS Tec.

Wilson Staff D200 - two drives total, 1 bad one decent, just nothing that screamed "buy me". Solid sound and no harsh feel (to me anyways)

2ND ROUND TESTING

Knuth High-Heat, Callaway V-Series, Ping SF Tec

Two drivers I had hit on the first 9 holes, and the V-Series. By the 2nd 18 hole round I had nothing left, drives were all over the place. I was trying to do way too much, just trying to pound the ball at this point, and it showed with bad bad results.

Best drive of the day was hole #8 with the SF Tec, ended up carrying the water and landing in the rough in front of the bunkers in front of the green. Surprised the heck out of me honestly. I figured I was going to just barely carry the water, and ended up well past.

Overall today, I was really surprised by the Ping drivers, and by the Knuth. I want to get more swings in with the Nike Speed and Pro, Callaway XR, and Cleveland Black. Hopefully I can track down the Bridgestone and Srixon drivers somewhere here so I can check them out as well.

Finally landed home at Sky Harbor. Go ahead and put me down for next year everyone.

So when groupings were announced for this event, the first thing I saw was:
JB
Howzat
Hawk
braddman19....... oh crap.

I was an absolute ball of nerves. Nerves and the excitement of my first time out with THP'ers had me running on adrenaline this morning.

I sort of zoned out before the tee time, just sitting in the cart, trying to take it all in, and trying to get my crap together. When we were finally up on the tee, it kicked in for me, just bring your best and play your game, and everything will be fine.

Hitting a decent drive on the first hole, and ending up with a Par on #1 helped me settle down. Early on I got in a couple wonky spots (the first fairway bunker on #2, and a crappy downhill lie in the rough by the 3rd green), but got out without throwing up ridiculously high numbers.

For our match we played JB & Howzat vs Hawk & braddman19. I honestly could not have asked for a better, more down to earth & laid back group of guys to be with for my first time out.

I got lucky, made some long putts, had a couple decent short game shots, only ended up in 2 bunkers, and didn't lost any balls. Ended up with an 86, very happy considering my personal best on a non-home course round for me is an 84.

You guys made my first round with THP'ers an awesome experience, and something I will never forget. Coming out with a win in our match was just the icing on the cake.

A gift to my partner Hawk: a picture taken from a brutal angle, that was supposed to show when you had hit your drive as far as JB & Howzat. KA-NUTH!
20150516_111354_zpsozimzhyr.jpg

2ND 18 HOLE ROUND
zeroputt, I have got to apologize. I had nothing left after the first 18, and was running on fumes by the time we hit the first tee. You absolutely carried me those 18 holes. It was a pleasure to meet you, and hopefully we can tee it up again.

For a first time out, I could not have asked for more. Perfect weather, good times, and a bunch of new friends.

Over the course of one day, my handicap went from a 10.4, to a 10.1 (after round 1), back up to a 10.9 (after round 2). I doubled my number of 18 hole rounds for the year, and played arguably the nicest course I had ever been on. Prestwick was an absolutely gorgeous course, and I had a wonderful time. Hopefully I can make it out for many more events!

Weather wise? When we got home to Brandon tonight, we drove through hours of pouring rain, and as soon as we crossed the border we dealt with freezing rain, slush on the highways, and -1 C (30.2 F) temperatures. AND ITS CALLING FOR SNOW TONIGHT

Hope to see you all again sometime soon,
braddman19
aka brad-bagger

Last edited:
Live Minnesota THP Driver Testing - Reviews As They Happen

JB
Howzat
Hawk

I was an absolute ball of nerves. Nerves and the excitement of my first time out with THP'ers had me running on adrenaline this morning.

I sort of zoned out before the tee time, just sitting in the cart, trying to take it all in, and trying to get my crap together. When we were finally up on the tee, it kicked in for me, just bring your best and play your game, and everything will be fine.

Hitting a decent drive on the first hole, and ending up with a Par on #1 helped me settle down. Early on I got in a couple wonky spots (the first fairway bunker on #2, and a crappy downhill lie in the rough by the 3rd green), but got out without throwing up ridiculously high numbers.

For out match we played JB & Howzat vs Hawk & braddman19. I honestly could not have asked for a better, more down to earth & laid back group of guys to be with for my first time out.

I got lucky, made some long putts, had a couple decent short game shots, only ended up in 2 bunkers, and didn't lost any balls. Ended up with an 86, very happy considering my personal best on a non-home course round for me is an 84.

You guys made my first round with THP'ers an awesome experience, and something I will never forget. Coming out with a win in our match was just the icing on the cake.

A gift to my partner Hawk: a picture taken from a brutal angle, that was supposed to show when you had hit your drive as far as JB & Howzat. KA-NUTH!

2ND 18 HOLE ROUND
zeroputt, I have got to apologize. I had nothing left after the first 18, and was running on fumes by the time we hit the first tee. You absolutely carried me those 18 holes. It was a pleasure to meet you, and hopefully we can tee it up again.

For a first time out, I could not have asked for more. Perfect weather, good times, and a bunch of new friends.

Over the course of one day, my handicap went from a 10.4, to a 10.1 (after round 1), back up to a 10.9 (after round 2). I doubled my number of 18 hole rounds for the year, and played arguably the nicest course I had ever been on. Prestwick was an absolutely gorgeous course, and I had a wonderful time. Hopefully I can make it out for many more events!

Weather wise? When we got home to Brandon tonight, we drove through hours of pouring rain, and as soon as we crossed the border we dealt with freezing rain, slush on the highways, and -1 C (30.2 F) temperatures.

braddman19
aka brad-bagger

That was an awesome group you got paired in. Tons of THP greatness in that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB
Howzat
Hawk

For out match we played JB & Howzat vs Hawk & braddman19. I honestly could not have asked for a better, more down to earth & laid back group of guys to be with for my first time out.

2ND 18 HOLE ROUND

Weather wise? When we got home to Brandon tonight, we drove through hours of pouring rain, and as soon as we crossed the border we dealt with freezing rain, slush on the highways, and -1 C (30.2 F) temperatures.

braddman19
aka brad-bagger

Couldn't agree more!

...They are all great drivers. But I have to buy the cobra fly z+. I don't have a choice!

You do need to get that Fly-Z+, SHIFTY. The difference in your drives was pretty impressive.

Braddman,
It was such a pleasure meeting you and teeing it up. Had an absolute blast during our round and you and the Hawk took it to Me and Howzat.

Hey Braddman..I feel you brother. My first THP event I was paired with JB and Hawk as well in the first group going off.

Fortunately I had a great THP veteran as partner in mikeg who helped me relax and enjoy.

Nothing like your first event.

SaA

Yikes! So glad you guys made it home. We had something like a 30-degree drop in temperature here yesterday. It was 33 degrees last night and it's supposed to be 32 degrees tonight. But we're used to such things (snow in May, etc.), aren't we? Aren't we...?

Weather wise? When we got home to Brandon tonight, we drove through hours of pouring rain, and as soon as we crossed the border we dealt with freezing rain, slush on the highways, and -1 C (30.2 F) temperatures. AND ITS CALLING FOR SNOW TONIGHT....

Last edited:
Sigh. Back to reality [work]. Looked forward to this for a while and it was a great time. Glad to meet all of you and sign me up for next year.

Teeing it up with the Braddman was awesome. He played his tail off in the morning round. And that angle sucks!

Teeing it up with the Braddman was awesome. He played his tail off in the morning round. And that angle sucks!

He sure had his eh game...hehe

Oh, and I'll say it again. That was a fantastic golf course. Challenging in spots, but also just a fun layout.

Back