Either a full 58* or a 3/4 54*. Which one is dictated by the amount of green I have in front of the pin to work with, as well as considering how soft the greens are, what the wind is doing, etc. Very comfortable with either option. I'm in my happy place with a wedge in hand :)

One of my favorite shots. Gap wedge, and try and finish swing a little past waste high pointing club at target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choke down on my 60* and flight it down with a less than full swing. I'd rather be back at 90 yards and hit a full lob wedge.

Usually I like to hit my 60 and flight it down a bit and aim a tad bit to the right of the pin and hope it spins left. That's the plan :)

3/4 60* if the pin requires it. But usually a feeler swing with the 56*, I practice wedges for several hours week so I try not to overthink it, my home course has an awesome short game area - about 80 yards in several different directions, 3 pins, receptive green and members never use it! Dream come true!

Now if I could just learn how to hit the toed in, soft bump and run...when Im in heavy rough and close to the pin, its pure struggles. I find that particular shot far more difficult than partial wedges. KBS 610 shaft has really helped when windy!

lately i've been doing this with my 50 degree MD3

half swing, full out extension up

When I could actually play with confidence?

It was normally a 56 degree with ball in the normal position in my stance.

Hands forward.

About a 2/3 swing, and I intentionally pinched the the ball between the clubhead and the turf.

It gives a lower flight with nice spin control. My usual ProV1 would take 2-3 hops and settle right down. Harder balls would roll out just a tad more.

Front pin stock 56*, middle pin 56* a smidge back in my stance, back pin 50* 9 to 3 swing to pinch the ball nice with a lower ball flight and some check. When it's good it's #toursauce material, when it's bad I airmail the green because I skulled it.

75 yards is generally a perfect full 60 degree wedge for me. A shot I love to hit.

That distance is 50% 58* for me lofted high

Choke down a touch on the 60* and take a good swing with it. Flight it down a touch and hit it close.

I'm a 4 wedge player and all my wedges are calibrated to a specific yardage based on a full swing under ideal conditions. Knowing the absolute for each allows me to determine which wedge to use in any condition I'm faced with whether it be the lie, wind, weather or any other situation incurred.

Won't say this is for everybody, but for me it has given me a high level of confidence when executing a particular shot once I have chosen the wedge based on the variables that come in to play on any given day.

Does it work every time? Absolutely NOT!!! This is GOLF!!! Need I say more?

You won't read this often: I'm very comfortable with this yardage. 9 to 3 54 degree. I had a couple of these at #THPAmbition and was pin high both times. It's a stock shot and one I practice more than most.

For me this should be a choke down 54, ball back, weight forward, 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock swing...flighted down some with some spin. When it works it is usually a hop and stop, leaving me a good chance at a birdie putt...However there's a bit of a gap between theory and execution. I probably pull it of about 50% of the time as intended. Biggest miss is a pull of about 10 yards left.

Typically I'd shorten up on my 54, very comfortable dialing it down when needed. I could also play the 58 at almost a full swing, but that gets me in more trouble than the 54 usually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's either a 90% 60* or a 60% 56*. Depending on the pin location I'll either get it up high and try to stop it close- or play a lower shot with more roll out.

You won't read this often: I'm very comfortable with this yardage. 9 to 3 54 degree. I had a couple of these at #THPAmbition and was pin high both times. It's a stock shot and one I practice more than most.

It's funny you mention your wedge play at #THPAmbition. I've mentioned in a few of my followup posts that whenever you needed to make a shot, you did. Those wedge shots were the ones I was talking about. After seeing this I now know why. My inability to hit a short chip hurt me both days of #THPAmbition. On both days I just needed to chip it close to to set up a short putt for par and failed every time. When I got back home I called up my PGA Pro and set up a lesson for chipping and putting.

I'm now happy to say that from 80 yards in I confidently grab my 58 degree wedge and more than 75% chance of the time leave myself with an honest and makeable putt. Depending on the lie and if I have to clear a bunker or a hill I will open or close the club to adjust the height.

Just depends on the conditions, lie and pin placement.

If the lie is good I'll probably hit a 3/4 PW and pop it up in the air.

From a tight or otherwise sketchy lie I'll take my gap or PW, play a lower shot and run it on.

I'm actually quite shocked at how many posts say they love this distance and how accurate and consistent they are with it. Also seeing lots of post saying they have 3 or 4 ways of doing it. Most guys I play with really struggle with this distance, anything from 90 yards and in. They are much better at the 110-120 yard shot than the closer, half swing shot. Personally I am much much better with full swing shots than half. Just don't practice 'em enough to be confident. So this is 60 degree wedge almost full swing as my full 60 goes 80-85 yards. I'm not getting cute with a half swing unless the wind is a factor.

I'm actually quite shocked at how many posts say they love this distance and how accurate and consistent they are with it. Also seeing lots of post saying they have 3 or 4 ways of doing it. Most guys I play with really struggle with this distance, anything from 90 yards and in. They are much better at the 110-120 yard shot than the closer, half swing shot. Personally I am much much better with full swing shots than half. Just don't practice 'em enough to be confident. So this is 60 degree wedge almost full swing as my full 60 goes 80-85 yards. I'm not getting cute with a half swing unless the wind is a factor.

Speaking for myself, I think the reason I like that distance, and am comfortable going at it several ways stems from playing the bulk of my golf as a real short knocker on courses that often only had two tee choices, blue or red. Seemed about the only way to par half the par 4s was to knock my 3rd shot close enough from that 50-80 yard range. Came back after 20 years and tech (plus swing speed training) made me longer and I now play more appropriate tees so I don't need that shot to save par as often. But I'm still very comfortable with it, more so than the 110-120 shot you reference.

Last edited:

Yeah, I see that a lot too. Many of the other people I play with on a regular basis would rather be 125y out than 75 or 50 so they're not dealing with anything less than a full swing.

I'm intentional about practicing shots inside 100. Hitting 25%, 50% and 75% shots with all of my wedges is a regular part of my practice & warm up routines. Generally if something is wrong with the full swing I revert to those on the range to get my fundamentals back in order.

To be clear I vary the % by takeaway and follow thru, not by swing speed or the perception of effort. I'm not a good enough athlete to just swing harder or softer - I need a clearly defined process (i.e., 50% = hip to hip, etc).

I guess I'm a weirdo. I have such difficulty hitting half and one quarter and three-quarter shots I almost all the time try to position myself for full swings. It's the only thing I'm very confident in

I guess I'm a weirdo. I have such difficulty hitting half and one quarter and three-quarter shots I almost all the time try to position myself for full swings. It's the only thing I'm very confident in

Nah I don't think that's weird at all. Lots of players I know are the same way.

Very much agree with you. One swing to rule them all. But I don't have a 75y full swing club, so it forces a partial swing or at least a choke up swing.

A year ago I would have said a full swing with my 60* while choked down on the grip. It's my 85 yard club.

JB and others push partial wedge shots so much here that now I make a partial swing with my 54* for that distance. I think it's roughly a half swing, but I've never filmed it much less seen it. I don't like the Pelz system and go by feel and have done it enough to be confident that my 75 "feel" will get me at least into safe 2 putt range - so long as I make solid contact. I think it's performing better for me overall than my previous method.

Back