THP Swing Tip: Proper Setup (stance, posture, ball position)

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The key to any repeatable golf swing is your setup. A solid setup doesn't insure a repeatable swing but a poor setup sure does work against one.

Golf is all about muscle memory which comes from repeating the same motion over and over. In order to make the same movements you need to have a consistent setup each time you stand over the ball. This holds true for the chip shot, a knockdown shot or a full driver swing. Now each shot has its own setup but without it the shot will fail more often then not.

The standard setup for a run of the mill full shot is: feet shoulder width apart or slightly outside the shoulders. Slight flex in the knees and some
bend at the hips. You bodies weight should be on the balls of your feet or just behind. The flex in the knees and bend in the waist work together. These two areas should be set to allow the arms to hang freely from the shoulders. The hands will be about 3"-6" from upper thigh. This hang allows the arms to move freely in front of your body.

If you have to pull the arms in then you may be bent too much at the waist. If you have to extend the arms then you don't have enough bend. The idea of the hang to release tension in the arms. Arms without tension tend to swing freer.

The back should be straight at setup. Butt sticking out and chest stuck out with shoulders slightly back.

b3d7c8dda5703ee4096c5abd4e66a7eb.jpg

Ernie has a timeless setup that I have tried to mirror for years. When I start going south with the swing. I think of his setup and swing.

Now ball position plays a big part in the repeatable golf swing. I like to think of the belly button a center. I like to think of the 7 iron as center for the clubs. So I start with the 7iron off my navel and as I get longer I move closer to the left foot. As I get lower with the clubs I move more toward the right foot. I maintain knee flex and waist bend but move the ball along my target line depending on what club I am swinging. This setup is for standard full shots.

The driver plays off the inside left heal to the left big toe and the SW plays about 2" back of center. My hands are behind the ball with driver and in front with SW. The hand position with the driver promotes an upward release. The hand position with the wedge promotes a downward strike. The swing is the same, my contact point is all that changes along with the length of the club.

All of the above is for a standard shot. Adjustment can be made for various shots, trajectories, shapes, age, flexibility. My main point would be to be sure what ever your setup, make sure it repeats so that your swing can repeat.

What are your thoughts on the use of a reverse k setup?

What about kicking the back knee in when using a non reverse k setup?

Ball position is on of the first lessons I remember from when I learned to play the game and something that is always good to review.

I have never thought of the hand position changing from driver to sw.

Thanks for the insight Freddie. Alignment and stance is something I always struggle with. Keeping that flex in my knees throughout my swing is something I also struggle with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks great insight as always and simply explained for implementation

This is much-needed. Sometimes I forget the most basic stuff.

Such good advice here Freddie! Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice Freddie. I usually do pretty good with letting the ball position move forward from mid irons to the Driver, but I have a tendency to forget to let it move back a bit as I get into the higher lofted irons and wedges. Very much could be the reason I have fat problems with those higher lofted clubs.

Back