Genuine Question For THPers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam! I greatly appreciate that buddy!! I suppose I just need to get more detailed in writing my thoughts down if I'm lucky enough to be in that position again. I just felt like what I would say wouldn't be the most descriptive or thorough and wouldn't do the clubs justice. But like I said it's something I'm going to change if I'm lucky enough to be in the position again. Starting with my J15's!

Don't even feel that way. Half the time when I write down my thoughts related to how clubs perform, I wonder if people are going to look and say...man does this guy know what he's talking about.

I think of it were me and I played the clubs well that you should at least play them till the next release of clubs come out. (ie:R1->R15) But that is my opinion and if really like them play them longer.

i personally think you should keep the clubs for a good period of time and actually play them. Give them a full chance. I mean the company and thp are taking care of us to the point that we receive a full bag or even a single club. We should give them a full workout multiple times and use them. Even if just so we can give honest feedback about the clubs to other thpers. As far as getting rid of them my personal opinion is if you do get rid of them you should pay it forward to another thper, or anyone that could use the equipment. Yes i understand there are costs associated with going to these events, but most times even if there were no free clubs we would all still try to be apart of these events. My opinion is the clubs are a bonus, we go to these events to play golf and to get to spend time with/meet fellow thpers. We do it for the love of the game. So to me to just take the clubs that a company has given out at an event and just flip them for $$$ is like spitting in the face of the club manufacturer and thp. They give us these clubs to use, to try out and to give honest feedback on.

As far as a specific time frame? That is all dependent on the individual. Some that i have met can swing a club a few times and know if they are or aren't going to get along with it, others like myself need more time and multiple outings to know. Personally i know i would need quite a few rounds of playing it to know if i could use it or it just wouldn't work for me. And then for me it would come down to if i could use it is it performing better than my current equipment or not. So i cant really say time frame, i would like to say a few weeks at least but it would seem like that is entirely dependent on each person.

That's just my opinion. I have not made it to any events where clubs have been given out but this is how i feel about it. Appreciate what you receive and if you are not going to use it at least pay it forward to help grow the game and the community that we all love.
very well said!

I would play the clubs for a while. Give them probably 6 months maybe a year to see if they work for me. I have hit tons of clubs and have liked very few.

At one of the THP outings I won a set of Callaway X Hot Pro Irons in the raffle and used them for the rest of the season. I then offered them to a couple of people on here that expressed interest in them at the time, but they were over a year old and those people were no longer interested.

I still have those irons, because I didn't feel right in selling them to just anyone. I am too lazy to take pictures and to post them on this site to try to sell them here. So they sit in my office and I take them out once in a while for a round just for the fun of it.

I think if I did win and wanted to sell the clubs, I would only offer them to other members of THP and at a very discounted rate.

As many others have posted, I feel the person should game the new clubs for several months following the event to provide valuable feedback in the appropriate threads regarding these clubs. If, after say at least 3 or 4 months, the clubs just are not working for that individual then they should be able to change clubs.

I don't think there should be a mandate that one should have to keep the clubs in their bag on a "permanent" basis. Company life cycles with clubs, to me, make the point that there will be something newer, "longer", or better coming soon, probably by the same manufacturer that provided the full-bag deal, so as new clubs are released, new clubs go into bags to replace others, and, therefore, one shouldn't have to keep the same bag of clubs either. I did feel a sense of responsibility, and still do, to a degree, to keep Callaway clubs in my bag after the Grandaddy. But, if you look at everyone's bag from a year ago, most of us have changed clubs, here-and-there, and have probably found something that fit our game better. One thing to note is that with the MC, it was up to the individual to go find the shaft/club for their bag "to be". Some may not have been able to guess correctly and a fitting may have been off, or a shaft may not have been the correct choice. The player chose them, but it was still somewhat of a guess. In those instances, I think it's very OK to switch clubs, unless the OEM wants to "make it right".

Should they participate in threads for a period of time? Yep. Should they have to "keep the clubs", no. Outside of the Grandaddy, there has been an outlay of cash by the participant. I think that travel, lodging, meals, and participation fees give the participant the right to do as they wish, after thread involvement.

This has been a really interesting read over the last couple of days. Personally, I have never thought about it, because I've not been in an event with an equipment tie-in. Now, though, I will have that chance this summer, so here is where I'm coming from, and what I'm planning to do...

I went through a full bag fitting at Club Champion in December. Identified best fit for everything, club heads through shafts, including little tweaks for individual clubs, like lie angles, lofts, swing weight, etc. My current bag is based on that, save for the wedges and putter. I really enjoy the new clubs and had zero intention of replacing those anytime soon. I have historically been a "New? Shiny? Yes, please!" person when it comes to equipment, so that was going to be a big change for me.

Now? Very fortunate to be participating in #THPLegacy, playing with what will be a great group of THPers, trying to get a win with the venerable team captains. I'll also be gaming equipment from Wilson Staff, KBS, and Lamkin. In this respect, I do already feel some sense of obligation to those event sponsors and THP, to give feedback where I have some, and to also get "mentions" in, where appropriate, for those companies. I fully expect to do this through the event and beyond. THP and the sponsors (the above, plus Bridgestone) have put together something special, and they deserve recognition that continues on. I don't know how club selection will work, but I will do my best to have a bag that is very functional and desirable, for me and my game, as I do not intend for the clubs to go away anytime soon.

Post #THPLegacy, what will my bag look like? I expect that I will game clubs from both sets, sometimes as a wholesale change, and sometimes swapping certain clubs. Perhaps I end up tweaking the #THPLegacy clubs to be as close to my fitted clubs as possible - that would be ideal in the long run, IMO.

What if a #THPLegacy participant parts with some, or all, of their equipment in a relatively short amount of time after the event? It's not what I would choose to do, but it's also not my place to judge them or their decision.

Let me preface this by saying there is no right or wrong answer here, but I have a question as I prepare for THP Events in the future. If you get into a THP Event that comes with a full bag of equipment. How long do you think its right to play it? What I mean is I know everybody on THP is different and some change equipment a lot and others not much at all. But let's say for the sake of the discussion, you get into an event that gives you a bag full of equipment (THP has multiple events like this), is there any obligation on your end (not from THP), that says you should continue to play it for a period of time? Or, are you cool the next day or week, offing it for something else? I say this strictly about THP Events, not about doing forum testing, which is very different in my opinion.

I ask this genuinely and as mentioned there really is no right or wrong answer, just looking for feedback.

I think it is fair to expect that people would play it for the remainder of the season.

I was talking with Rambler about this last night....If it's doing well for me, I'll keep it. If it's not, then I won't. I'm all about the benefit to my game and I won't stick with something just because it came from an event. For me, equipment is nice with events, but I think people, location and rounds of golf are my top deciders.

This has been a really interesting read over the last couple of days. Personally, I have never thought about it, because I've not been in an event with an equipment tie-in. Now, though, I will have that chance this summer, so here is where I'm coming from, and what I'm planning to do...

I went through a full bag fitting at Club Champion in December. Identified best fit for everything, club heads through shafts, including little tweaks for individual clubs, like lie angles, lofts, swing weight, etc. My current bag is based on that, save for the wedges and putter. I really enjoy the new clubs and had zero intention of replacing those anytime soon. I have historically been a "New? Shiny? Yes, please!" person when it comes to equipment, so that was going to be a big change for me.

Now? Very fortunate to be participating in #THPLegacy, playing with what will be a great group of THPers, trying to get a win with the venerable team captains. I'll also be gaming equipment from Wilson Staff, KBS, and Lamkin. In this respect, I do already feel some sense of obligation to those event sponsors and THP, to give feedback where I have some, and to also get "mentions" in, where appropriate, for those companies. I fully expect to do this through the event and beyond. THP and the sponsors (the above, plus Bridgestone) have put together something special, and they deserve recognition that continues on. I don't know how club selection will work, but I will do my best to have a bag that is very functional and desirable, for me and my game, as I do not intend for the clubs to go away anytime soon.

Post #THPLegacy, what will my bag look like? I expect that I will game clubs from both sets, sometimes as a wholesale change, and sometimes swapping certain clubs. Perhaps I end up tweaking the #THPLegacy clubs to be as close to my fitted clubs as possible - that would be ideal in the long run, IMO.

What if a #THPLegacy participant parts with some, or all, of their equipment in a relatively short amount of time after the event? It's not what I would choose to do, but it's also not my place to judge them or their decision.
good stuff Jeremy, I agree completely

Don't even feel that way. Half the time when I write down my thoughts related to how clubs perform, I wonder if people are going to look and say...man does this guy know what he's talking about.

I can't decide if my fixed it for you should be "Man, does this guy know what he's talking about!" or "Man, does this guy know what he's talking about?"

I want to say the former.

I want to thank everybody for all of the feedback. Im going to close this one up, but I will say your opinions are greatly valued. We are always evolving and you have helped us realize quite a bit and all of it will go to making THP even better in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back