Tempo - best drill to learn/groove it?

This is a pretty good book on it. And, it includes a DVD and a CD.
http://www.tourtempo.com/
tour-tempo-book1.jpg

You can buy this book for ONE CENT on Amazon plus $3.99. NOT KIDDING. Go to used books and there are a bunch of them. I bought one and it's headed to me for four big dollars. Figured it was worth trying for four bucks.

My instructor and I have worked on my tempo and she has been helpful in giving me ways to prevent myself from becoming too quick. Erika used the trick when she was on the Tour as she admitted to struggling at times with tempo. She started having me saying "1, 2 and 3" during my swing. I say most "1, 2" throughout the takeaway and"And 3" throughout the downswing. It has helped me immensely especially when I know I am being quick and it gives me a way to slow down.

For me I was always told to swing to "Ernie Els". Same concept as the pizza pie thing, just the 2 syllables back 1 syllable through

I love my whip but I think I need to be more deliberate in using it to practice tempo and not just be slinging it around.

You are probably practicing tempo without even realizing it .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tempo - best drill to learn/groove it?

I think tempo is as individual as swing everyone has a natural one work with what comes naturally. I generally find calm people have a more rhythmic tempo than someone that is not so calm neither is right or wrong it is what your body wants to do. I know if my tempo is to fast I don't get good contact my mate has a fast tempo if he slows it down he gets bad contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a drummer, I count in my head when my tempo gets a little off during my stroke.
I just think.... One....and....two.

The One is going back
The and is at the top of my swing
The two is coming down and impacting the ball.

Just like other guys, I count in my head. Although I count up to 4. 1,2,3 is backswing and on 4 I murder!

I didn't read the thread yet so forgive me if I duplicate someones post.

I think tempo is a personal thing, everyone has their own and it's paramount to find it in order to help repair other swing issues. Look at Freddie couples and then look at Nick Price, we should probably all fall somewhere in between, but I was told to swing at a comfortable pace that will allow my head to stay stable laterally. My guy made me say God Save The Queen when I was swing and it worked for me. He was a brit though lol.

As one who has battled too-quick tempo, I see there are some good ideas expressed here, but here is one that is very practical and useful at the course before you play.

First, if possible do not hurry to do anything once you are at the course - you are there to relax, so relax. Go to the range or the practice area where there is a bunker, and drop about 20 balls in there. Take your time, and practice greenside bunker shots. The correct rhythm for those swings, a slower tempo, is the one you want to establish before you hit your range balls and then tee off. It's the best tempo drill I ever found.

I think tempo is as individual as swing everyone has a natural one work with what comes naturally. I generally find calm people have a more rhythmic tempo than someone that is not so calm neither is right or wrong it is what your body wants to do. I know if my tempo is to fast I don't get good contact my mate has a fast tempo if he slows it down he gets bad contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^this^^^
Don't change who you are if a fast paced person and have a fast tempo go with it.

As one who has battled too-quick tempo, I see there are some good ideas expressed here, but here is one that is very practical and useful at the course before you play.

First, if possible do not hurry to do anything once you are at the course - you are there to relax, so relax. Go to the range or the practice area where there is a bunker, and drop about 20 balls in there. Take your time, and practice greenside bunker shots. The correct rhythm for those swings, a slower tempo, is the one you want to establish before you hit your range balls and then tee off. It's the best tempo drill I ever found.

That was all good until you hit the bunker... sand is the WORST part of my game. The next thread I post is on how to get off the beach! Nothing relaxes me less than being in a bunker! LOL

It's a good idea though to slow everything down and just be calm. That's very helpful. I have a tendency to get to the course late (coming from work), rush through a warm up and rush rush rush on the first couple of tees. I'm a HH so I'm the guy holding the group up while I look in the woods, or hit the ball three extra times so I feel rushed to keep the group up. I need to slow down!

I strapped a speaker to my push cart and played the tempo tracks (way better than the tones) on tour tempo throughout my round. I've been close to beating 80 on like 5 occasions, and after an awesome range session with tour tempo as well, I went off and shot a 77 (lowest ever score). I still have alot to work on with my swing mechanics, but tempo was something I was missing. Best $ I spent for a golf app hands down. Been using the 21/7 tempo, and it is slightly faster than my normal tempo with irons, and I found that it caused me to actually swing through the ball... another thing I was working on.
The tempo with the Driver was the hardest, as I wanted to swing faster, but when I actually did swing in tempo, my ball was straight!!!! lol.

Last edited:
Tempo is one of the most important things in a swing. I've always used the feel of the club. It wants to move at a certain speed with the least amount of effort. At the top of the back swing, I wait to feel the drop then add power to it. Not before that. Tempo comes out about 3:1 very consistently.

I think a slight forward press helps one get into a rhythmic swing.

Turn your club around and hold it just below the head. Take a normal swing and listen for the swoosh. You should hear it just shy of impact, starting at the rear knee. If you hear it before or after that point your tempo is too quick or to slow.

Back