Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

I think that majBC is giving a lot of good advice here, particularly for average to slower swing speed players. He's helped me a ton with my bag.

I personally think for the average to slower swing speed player (say 92 MPH down with the driver), more FWs are better. Heck, I currently have 4 (if you count my LT2w as amy 13th club).

There's a bit of a loss in versatility with respect to a hybrid, but I have had very little luck hitting hybrids out of deep rough anyways. I also use my Niblicks to punch out or recovery, so between the two I really haven't seen that much of a hit.

Slightly more on topic, the 588 is a very interesting FW. I wish they made the super high lofted one as well because a 15.5, 20.5 and 25.5 would be an awesome combo!

As for questions about the 7w and gapping with a 4H, I have done this a lot and think that the gap depends on the 4h. If you get a 4H that is "hot" then the gaps won't be even. The real difference though is in the overall ball flight. The high lofted FW is going to shoot up in the air and land softly. A hot 4H will typically have a lower trajectory and roll out more.

I guess what I'm saying is don't focus on the overall distance when thinking about the gap here. Think about the types of shots you get out of the two clubs. I play a lot of courses with forced carries over trouble, but I also don't play in a lot of wind. A FW with higher launch, softer landing and more consistent carry distance is the better choice.

How are these forgiveness wise compared to Mashies?I had both and loved Mashies sound and hated the look, switched to G20 to match my G20 irons set and Hybos over them, and then to K15 as they were bigger at address and easier to hit and I was more confident with them. I just not a fan of K15 looks, they look outdate to me on the sole, crown is fine. How are these forgiveness wise compared to K15, Baffler XL, mashies, bio cell, G25? These can be had cheaper on the bay now. I am lefty so it's hard to find Cleveland stuff to try, so I end up buying used just to try on the bay.

How are these forgiveness wise compared to Mashies?I had both and loved Mashies sound and hated the look, switched to G20 to match my G20 irons set and Hybos over them, and then to K15 as they were bigger at address and easier to hit and I was more confident with them. I just not a fan of K15 looks, they look outdate to me on the sole, crown is fine. How are these forgiveness wise compared to K15, Baffler XL, mashies, bio cell, G25? These can be had cheaper on the bay now. I am lefty so it's hard to find Cleveland stuff to try, so I end up buying used just to try on the bay.
I cant really compare them to any fw you mentioned but the mashie, and i can tell you that they outperformed the mashie by quite a margin in every category but one.
I felt like the mashies were a bit longer off the tee, but these are much straighter, and easier to hit off the deck.

My father has the mashies, and I hit them along with my 588 when we played last time. I would take the 588 any day. I would agree that the deeper face of the mashie probably makes it better off the tee, but I was comparing 5 woods.

I didn't like the mashie 3w but am loving the 588. It is easy to hit off the fw and off the tee.

This a really really solid line from Cleveland. My favorite since the hibore days personally. They are somewhat on the larger side with I personally like.

They were blowing these out on GlobalGolf, so I picked up a 588 7W to play with. This club may find a permanent spot in my bag - similar distance, maybe a bit longer than the 3h, and gets up there FAST. Stupid easy to hit as well. I actually started laughing the first time I got ahold of one. Could be a great club for calmer days going after greens from about 200.

Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

I have a 5 wood and it is 10 meters longer than my Callaway X Hot 4 wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They were blowing these out on GlobalGolf, so I picked up a 588 7W to play with. This club may find a permanent spot in my bag - similar distance, maybe a bit longer than the 3h, and gets up there FAST. Stupid easy to hit as well. I actually started laughing the first time I got ahold of one. Could be a great club for calmer days going after greens from about 200.

I did the exact same thing from Global. I have always liked 7Ws. I may leave this one at the ridiculously long stock shaft length and make it my longest FW club.

Grabbed one off the bay in a globalgolf auction for 43.00, came with a Miya Silver 83X, winner winner.

Not sure if I'll even play this head, but its a heck of a deal IMO.

Grabbed one off the bay in a globalgolf auction for 43.00, came with a Miya Silver 83X, winner winner.

You will at least hit it and report back on this page, hopefully.

Amazing deal for any part of that club

It was one of those "SURELY that isn't going to slip by people..." things...and it did!

Love when that happens. It's rare but it does

I did the exact same thing from Global. I have always liked 7Ws. I may leave this one at the ridiculously long stock shaft length and make it my longest FW club.

Sounds pretty much what Cally did with the new Heavenwood.... you just did it for about 15% of the price of the HVNWD, nice work !!

Sounds pretty much what Cally did with the new Heavenwood.... you just did it for about 15% of the price of the HVNWD, nice work !!

I think the 588 7W and the Heavenwood are very similar clubs. Granted, I don't have any side by side numbers, but we're talking about 21ish degree clubs with long shafts and heads designed with a lot of weight low and back. They're pretty similar animals.

To me the thing I like most about the 588 FW is its looks. It looks like a "classic" metal FW, if there is such a thing.

The 588 7W showed up on Friday. I took a few swings with it on the range while warming up yesterday and then put it immediately into play.

The initial impression was that the shaft is a little long. I'm used to 7ws being around 41.5 and had my XHot cut down to there in order to fit a gap. This thing at 42.75 is long. I'm sure the Heavenwood would feel the same way.

Having said that, I think I'll keep the 588 7W at stock length for a while. It was a bomber off the deck -- sort of like a more forgiving 3/4/5 wood. I maybe lost 10 yards total in distance, but hit it pretty much right where I aimed it. The only miss was a bit of a hook on a bad swing by me that was exaggerated by some wind. I even hit one where the ball mark was clearly towards the toe that had good results.

Otherwise it is a beautiful club, like the other 588s. This head is just "right" as it sits next to the ball. It looks a little more compact than most SGI FWs, but is also very "traditional" if that word can apply to a metal FW.

I actually thought it did better out of the rough than my XHot 7W. I hit a couple of out of the rough that surprised me. Granted, the rough was kind of dead, so it was easy to plow through. We'll see how it does in the Spring.

Good stick. I'd recommend it for those shopping a good all around performer, particularly if you're a low to average swing speed player.

The 588 7W showed up on Friday. I took a few swings with it on the range while warming up yesterday and then put it immediately into play.

The initial impression was that the shaft is a little long. I'm used to 7ws being around 41.5 and had my XHot cut down to there in order to fit a gap. This thing at 42.75 is long. I'm sure the Heavenwood would feel the same way.

Having said that, I think I'll keep the 588 7W at stock length for a while. It was a bomber off the deck -- sort of like a more forgiving 3/4/5 wood. I maybe lost 10 yards total in distance, but hit it pretty much right where I aimed it. The only miss was a bit of a hook on a bad swing by me that was exaggerated by some wind. I even hit one where the ball mark was clearly towards the toe that had good results.

Otherwise it is a beautiful club, like the other 588s. This head is just "right" as it sits next to the ball. It looks a little more compact than most SGI FWs, but is also very "traditional" if that word can apply to a metal FW.

I actually thought it did better out of the rough than my XHot 7W. I hit a couple of out of the rough that surprised me. Granted, the rough was kind of dead, so it was easy to plow through. We'll see how it does in the Spring.

Good stick. I'd recommend it for those shopping a good all around performer, particularly if you're a low to average swing speed player.

Totally agree. Only i think it's good for everyone haha

I agree, my SS is 100-105 for a driver and I love the 3w. Looking to try a 5w or 7w soon

These 588 fairway woods are some of the best I have ever played. Recently got a 5-wood and it is good from both tee and turf. I'm not sure there is an easier long club to hit than the 7-wood. Both of the higher lofted models are just great FW. I have tried both 3-woods from the tee and they are performers too. I will say that I don't attempt many shots from the turf with a 3-wood and for that reason I lean to the 14° as a shorter tee club.

These 588 fairway woods are some of the best I have ever played. Recently got a 5-wood and it is good from both tee and turf. I'm not sure there is an easier long club to hit than the 7-wood. Both of the higher lofted models are just great FW. I have tried both 3-woods from the tee and they are performers too. I will say that I don't attempt many shots from the turf with a 3-wood and for that reason I lean to the 14° as a shorter tee club.

Totally agree. The 5w is one of the best I have put in play.

Totally agree. The 5w is one of the best I have put in play.

When my swing is on I absolutely love that club. It made me take the 3w out of the bag. I was the same distance with both of them.

They really are that good. I actually hit the 15.5 3w really well off the deck as well.
Not sure about the 14 degree as I never have tried that one. Id like to try the 7w as well some day

Im hitting the 15.5* 3 wood so well I am seriously pondering wether to get the 14* 3 wood.

Back