Split tees and handicap recording

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
Prior to coming here, I had never heard of using a combination of tee boxes for a round. Having seen the benefits of flexibility it offers I have come to like the idea. But can you post rounds from split/combination tee boxes for handicap updates? How would you figure out the proper slope and rating to use?

Some courses have a combo set rated. Otherwise, you don't. I suppose you could pick one or the other if you had to, but it's not really 100% accurate.

Prior to coming here, I had never heard of using a combination of tee boxes for a round. Having seen the benefits of flexibility it offers I have come to like the idea. But can you post rounds from split/combination tee boxes for handicap updates? How would you figure out the proper slope and rating to use?
Yes you can. There is a method outlined in the USGA handicap manual for playing a set of unrated tees. The rating and slope are adjusted based on the difference in yardage between the rated tees and the tees you play. It isn't perfect, since you can get a different result depending on if you use the longer or shorter tees as a base for the calculation, but it is better than nothing. We used this method to calculate the handicap allowance for the mixed tees we played at the MI OH shootout this fall.

http://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=14

Well look at that. Virtual high five.

One could argue that you should really use a weighted average of rating and slope since there is more that comes into play for rating and slope than yardage, but that kind of calculation would be tough to put into an easy table like the USGA has. If combo tees are regularly used on a course, they should have the regional association come and do a formal rating of the combo tee. They probably could just use the information they have from rating the tees that are already there.

Thanks for the pointers!

I know back in the day I could just use the middle group in slope rating between the 2 along with course rating.

So if the back tees were 73.0 and 130
and the blues were 71.0 and 124

then I would enter 72 and 127 (the difference split in half), but like ALek said there is an official way

Thank you Alek! Wasn't aware of this!

Keep in mind this method should only be used occasionally. If mixed tees are regularly used at a course, ask to have them rate that combo!

Split tees and handicap recording

Was just doing a quick search on this since I'm playing a course Friday that has some combo options. I think Its smart at this course since there are some tricky holes and 2 long par 3s that play over 200 from the back tees and are always into the wind. I don't typically play the combo, I either do white or blue. I think for a change of pace I might do the white/blue combo.

fae2606d1e08bb0b257276ea8d683429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back