Mizuno JPX-850 Driver - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Depending on how your mind works, pursuing a new driver can mean one (or seven) of many things. Looks, sound, feedback, adjustability, tour presence, performance (etc)... With the JPX-850 from Mizuno, I find myself really fantasizing about the tech built into the head, and how I can fine tune this brilliantly blue driver to my swing. Weights that not only slide from the center of the head to the back but also can be removed to send out to heel or toe to promote draw/fade bias, and eight head adjustments really just scratch the surface of what can be accomplished.

And that blue.

From Mizuno

Design Details
In 2007 Mizuno introduced a sliding weight system called Fast Track – to alter a driver’s draw/fade tendency. Mizuno has now evolved this breakthrough technology to also be able to customize spin rate and launch angle in the JPX-850 – helping all swing speeds achieve maximum possible total yardage. A massive playing profile with a low and deep extended weighting system launches the ball into an optimized, low spinning orbit – from whichever QuickSwitch setting you choose.

The piercing blue JPX-850 uses twin 8-gram weights which can be located on either the central sliding rail, or two lateral slots. With 10 unique settings, players of all head speeds can dial in their perfect launch and spin.

In combination with Mizuno’s Quick Switch shaft release system, the JPX-850 also offers lofts from 7.5 to 11.5 within one head for the ultimate in adjustability.

The JPX-850 head is a compact, powerful 440cc Titanium driver that utilizes a Rebound Crown to maximize ball speeds for unmatched distance.

Tech Spec
Fast Track: 10 unique flight settings (4 neutral, 3 draw, 3 fade) to dial in launch and spin for increased distance.
Quick Switch: 8 loft settings from 7.5 to 11.5 degrees.
Rebound crown: Rounded crown flexes at impact for explosive distance.

“The genius of the new Fast Track is that it adds the dimension of launch angle and spin rate. Now the player is truly in control of maximizing all aspects of their ball flight off the tee.”
Chuck Couch – VP of Product Management

tech-diagram-jpx-850-driver-woods

In Hand Photos

20150209_160648-L.jpg

20150209_160727-L.jpg

20150209_160616-L.jpg

20150209_160820-L.jpg

20150209_160802-L.jpg

20150209_160840-L.jpg

20150209_160942-L.jpg

20150209_161051-L.jpg

20150209_161023-L.jpg

20150209_161102-L.jpg

Never swung one of these drivers but I am really intrigued on how it works. Also of course looking forward to your feedback Dan to see what the pro's and con's are. Gotta say it's a pretty sharp looking driver.

Excited for you to put this to work Dan. Seems most feedback on this one has been one way or the other, with no in-between. I know with the fairway it was a good step for Mizzy, curious to see if this is the same.

I fondled one of these recently and was quite interested in it. Need to go back and hit one.

I love that color, nice and dark blue with the darker body.

Great photos Dan, pretty driver.

Looking forward the thoughts man.

Absolutely. The blue is incredible. One of the best colours to use on a driver in my opinion!!

Any distinct or bright glare?

Any distinct or bright glare?

The finish is definitely high gloss and was reflecting plenty while taking photos. I doubt it becomes an issue on course but that'll be for time to tell.

It looks nice. I never hear much about mizuno woods but I've always been interested in their irons. I used to hit mp32

I like the blue, it stands out. I had a chance to swing this during a fitting and it was ok. The performance for me didn't compare well to others on the market at the time.

As always, nice photos. That is a ton of adjustability built into the driver.

I like the blue, it stands out. I had a chance to swing this during a fitting and it was ok. The performance for me didn't compare well to others on the market at the time.

That seems to be a bit of a recurring theme with Mizuno and their driver, but this one will get a fair shake to see what kind of performance it can generate.

I just hope Mizzy BUILDS on the 850 line, because its a hell of a step in the right direction for them.

I just hope Mizzy BUILDS on the 850 line, because its a hell of a step in the right direction for them.

I've always found their adjustment functionality to be very interesting. To be able to completely remove the weight from one section rather than move it away or replace it with something lighter is really quite brilliant.

I've always found their adjustment functionality to be very interesting. To be able to completely remove the weight from one section rather than move it away or replace it with something lighter is really quite brilliant.

Agreed. They've always had good ideas, and the tech behind it have always been solid, but for some reason with the metal-woods they just can't get over that hump. I know the fairway is easily the best they've put out, but still not up with most of the other releases, not quite. Wondering if you see similar here buddy.

If nothing else, that blue is pretty.

with all those adjustments...i feel like that running bird should be replaced with an autobot emblem lol :). I'm jk, (honestly if it did have one, it would actually make me want it more) but I do think it's cool they are able to fit in all those adjustments to one head rather than splitting them out into 3 other heads. I imagine that makes managing inventory/stock really easy on local golf shops and for Mizuno.

I'm interested to read the thoughts posted here.

I've found the JPX is nowhere near as forgiving as the BB 815 Alpha on mis-hits especially low on the heel. However on well struck shots my carry distance is the same if not a little more than the total distance I see with the BB. I prefer the look, size and sound of the JPX but at the moment I need the forgiveness I get from the BB.

I'm interested to read the thoughts posted here.

I've found the JPX is nowhere near as forgiving as the BB 815 Alpha on mis-hits especially low on the heel. However on well struck shots my carry distance is the same if not a little more than the total distance I see with the BB. I prefer the look, size and sound of the JPX but at the moment I need the forgiveness I get from the BB.

Thanks for tuning in! I'll make note of that low on the heel distance loss and try to recreate contact there while I'm hitting to see what comes of it.

Had the opportunity to check out the 850 today. Really impressed with the finish, that blue is great! I'm excited to hear how the weight system works. Mizuno seems to have found a way to incorporate a lot of customization into the 850. I think most offerings only allow for specific changes with regards to weight changes. The 850 allows for the same two weights to be set at the consumers preference.

Might as well try some high-toe shots, too. That's my miss.
Thanks for tuning in! I'll make note of that low on the heel distance loss and try to recreate contact there while I'm hitting to see what comes of it.

That seems to be a bit of a recurring theme with Mizuno and their driver, but this one will get a fair shake to see what kind of performance it can generate.

i think it has potential, my fitter and i didn't mess with any settings or shaft options as it appeared others were better for me. I like what they have done and compared to past drivers i think this is a step in the right direction for them and get away from the "here are the irons and oh by the way we have a driver." mentality that i have seen at demo days

I'll definitely make an attempt to get around the face but can't make any promises.. Not the easiest thing to accomplish, but I'll give it a shot!

I know you're a high ball hitter so will you initially try the weights for a lower ball flight or something different?

Back