Nebgolfer's Weight Loss Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's why we are here buddy. My weight loss and struggles are well documented. If there anything I can do to help, even if it's just a word or two, I am here. Also, if I may, you may want to start out with just cardio and work your way up to weight training. Alot of people fail (not saying you will) because they go from doing nothing to getting all gung ho and doing as much as they can and they get worn out. Best thing anyone ever told me was that this is not just a diet or going to the gym. It's about making a lifestyle change. Creating good habits. Changing your life for the better. There is no magic elixir or diet that will make you lose weight and keep it off. Losing the weight is the easy part, changing your lifestyle and setting your self up for success is the hard part. I know you can do it buddy. We are all behind you.

Seriously, this means more to me than you'll ever know. Working out has never been an issue for me, especially now that I'm going right after work and a bad bedtime can't interfere with my routine. My issue is saying no to half a pizza, or chocolate donuts, or a whole host of other things that tempt me on a regular basis. I've gotten better about portion control, but it is still a battle. I was on fitness pal but got tired of tracking all the homemade meals we eat, but I think I just need to bite the bullet and stick with it.

Seriously, this means more to me than you'll ever know. Working out has never been an issue for me, especially now that I'm going right after work and a bad bedtime can't interfere with my routine. My issue is saying no to half a pizza, or chocolate donuts, or a whole host of other things that tempt me on a regular basis. I've gotten better about portion control, but it is still a battle. I was on fitness pal but got tired of tracking all the homemade meals we eat, but I think I just need to bite the bullet and stick with it.

There is nothing that says you can't eat what you want. It's about moderation. A friend of mine who is a personal trainer used to tell me all the time to make better bad food choices. So if I had to eat fast food for example, don't get Fries or a soda, get water and a salad. The biggest and most important thing is planning. Planning your meals is the biggest thing that helped me. Plan your menu for the week and this way you can control your intake and your portions. It's not going to happen overnight buddy. It truly is a lifestyle change. And it's definitely not easy. But you can do it. I believe in you. Look how far your golf game came for the MC. You have determination and the drive to be successful. Also just thought of another thing. Drink ALOT of water. It will help curb your appetite so you won't be as hungry. Drink a full glass of water before you eat. Also, have a salad with your dinner. Eat a nice size salad and then eat. I guarantee you, you will be full faster.

Great job Ryan. Maintaing over the Holidays is a huge win. Good for you getting right back on track.

Dev is so right about water. That's been my biggest change. I've had literally one soda since my surgery. That was a week ago when I decided to treat my self to a Big Mac Meal...ha.

Read my what would you do thread and you'll see what I've been eating for lunch and getting flack about it (lean cuisine). And I drink a ton of water during the day, for dinner and after dinner.

For me it has to be ice cold and I can drink it all day. It was very easy to get used to.

Keep up the good work.

I am doing the advocare 24 day challenge and it's going really well. Helping me to build healthy habits and food has become much less of to taste and more for energy. Find myself in a good routine. Something to look into if you need a boost. Just an idea

I heard on the radio the average person gains 4lbs. between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so huge props. I don't want to get preachy on you but my wife and brother in law have been really big into flexible dieting and counting macro-nutrients along with strength training for years now. She's done a couple bodybuilding shows now and being able to drop weight and then get back to a "normal" BF% without metabolic damage was really important for her. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel overwhelmed or rundown. And go B1G RED.

I just found this thread and support my friend Ryan and his goal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neb I agree with Dev on the bagging the weights for now. I also struggle with my weight and I see the best results from playing pickup basketball, running, burpees, mountain climbers, and doing T25 which im.doing now.

Give it a shot I bet ull lose faster. Ever want to talk im only a PM away. 6'3" 305lb guy here who was once 350+

Dude, this is a family. Now get your chubby fingers out of the donut box
I heard on the radio the average person gains 4lbs. between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so huge props. I don't want to get preachy on you but my wife and brother in law have been really big into flexible dieting and counting macro-nutrients along with strength training for years now. She's done a couple bodybuilding shows now and being able to drop weight and then get back to a "normal" BF% without metabolic damage was really important for her. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel overwhelmed or rundown. And go B1G RED.
Finally I'm above average. I gained more than that

Had a bit of a turning point today. I've been working out 3 times a week since December and haven't lost any weight. I was under the impression I could control my eating without a program to track intake, and that appears to not be the case. I've got back on myfitnesspal and am doubly committed to sticking with tracking. Also hit the gym today for a fairly intense cardio session leaving me exhausted but feeling somewhat accomplished.

Keep on going brother!!! I just got back from the gym after getting beat on by a trainer. I wish working out was as easy as laying on the couch.

Keep it up! Really proud of your dedication, brother. You've actually motivated me to get my lazy butt in shape.

Neb I agree with Dev on the bagging the weights for now. I also struggle with my weight and I see the best results from playing pickup basketball, running, burpees, mountain climbers, and doing T25 which im.doing now.

Give it a shot I bet ull lose faster. Ever want to talk im only a PM away. 6'3" 305lb guy here who was once 350+

Keep it up Ryan! Just remember that one bad meal is just that - it doesn't mean your entire plan is ruined. You're in this for the long haul. You can get right back on track & overcome each small setback.

I'm seeing more and more research showing that long, slow cardio workouts (jogging for 30+ minutes, etc) are not very helpful in losing weight or maintaining overall health. It seems that high intensity short intervals & intense weight training (sets to failure & going for that burning sensation) actually work better. I'm just starting to play around with this so I don't have any personal experience, but you don't have to feel guilty about not doing long cardio workouts! Good luck, man!

Keep it up Ryan! Just remember that one bad meal is just that - it doesn't mean your entire plan is ruined. You're in this for the long haul. You can get right back on track & overcome each small setback.

I'm seeing more and more research showing that long, slow cardio workouts (jogging for 30+ minutes, etc) are not very helpful in losing weight or maintaining overall health. It seems that high intensity short intervals & intense weight training (sets to failure & going for that burning sensation) actually work better. I'm just starting to play around with this so I don't have any personal experience, but you don't have to feel guilty about not doing long cardio workouts! Good luck, man!

Our wellness department has put out a lot of information lately on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and I have tried to start adding that to my routine. Rather than running a relatively slower jog for a longer time (several minutes), I've tried to add in a fast jog for a minute and then rest for a few minutes. That being said, they caution relying solely on HIIT, and that it needs to be one of many types of workouts, rather than the only method used for long-term success. Yesterday after work, as I was getting tired of jogging during the jog portions of my jog/walk, my mantra to push me forward to the end of the period was "I'm tired of being fat" and that seemed to motivate me to keep working. Hopefully I can keep that mindset up even when I'm not working out, and perhaps my diet will improve as well.

Thanks everyone, for the continued support. It means the world to me, and I can't wait for the day when I can start sharing the great news of making progress and hitting goals.

Our wellness department has put out a lot of information lately on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and I have tried to start adding that to my routine. Rather than running a relatively slower jog for a longer time (several minutes), I've tried to add in a fast jog for a minute and then rest for a few minutes. That being said, they caution relying solely on HIIT, and that it needs to be one of many types of workouts, rather than the only method used for long-term success. Yesterday after work, as I was getting tired of jogging during the jog portions of my jog/walk, my mantra to push me forward to the end of the period was "I'm tired of being fat" and that seemed to motivate me to keep working. Hopefully I can keep that mindset up even when I'm not working out, and perhaps my diet will improve as well.

Thanks everyone, for the continued support. It means the world to me, and I can't wait for the day when I can start sharing the great news of making progress and hitting goals.

Intervals are great when combined with strength training. The bike is another place to do these in the gym. 40 seconds on/20 off on a bike for a while will tire you out.

Congrats on the progress you've made so far, you've got this - there will be plateaus now and then, but the fact that you are recognizing that and making changes shows real commitment.

Work it brother

Great work my man!

When I do workout, I love doing HIIT.

The original study was done with running sprints.

HIIT sprints are HARD!
Unfortunately, I've injured myself when doing them. The first time I pulled my quad, and the second time my glute.
I don't think I've ever pulled a muscle in my life (46 yrs old), but I did both times with the HIIT sprints.

But, I'm not the most limber person in the world, and I don't ever warm up.

So now I'll do them on a bike, or steep hill (where I'm not moving fast enough to pull anything).

I haven't worked out in too long, and am in the worst shape of my life. Time to get a move on.

Keep it up! It's definitely a process, but your hard work will pay off in the long run. Stick with it and keep motivating yourself. Just remember how good you feel after a workout.

Proud of you Bro.

Keep up the good work bud!!!

As a guy in the midst of this I know it isn't easy. Mix up your routines in the gym to try and prevent boredom and honestly eating is 80% if not more of it. Keep working hard and I promise you will see results

Got some added motivation from being selected for the king, in more ways than 1. The obvious one is that I want to play my best so I want to be as physically fit as possible, but also because I ordered a 2x shirt and the 2x in my closet is tighter than I'd like it to be. Tracking food again is helping me a lot, and I'm starting to see weight slowly drop off again. I've also noticed recovery times are getting shorter; when I first started I could barely walk 2 days after leg day, but now it is barely noticeable. Things are looking up and I'm pretty pumped about that.

Keep up the awesome work. One good way that I read to do a type of HIIT called tabata :)20 on/:10 off x 8) is with farmer's carries because you can just drop the weight.

I think a safer way to do the HIIT workouts for you might be on a bike or better yet a rowing machine. (I wish I had the cash for one of these babies:desire::

http://www.jamesstroud.com/postings/c2-versus-waterrower

http://www.rowing-machine-review.com/best-rowing-machines/waterrower-vs-concept2/

http://www.amazon.com/WaterRower-Natural-Machine-Ash-S4/dp/B000A6QIMS )

Also look up "Tabata training" as this seems to be the best-researched version of what high-intensity training is.
You definitely have to be smart about it either way. You can get hurt doing running sprints or long slow jogs.

I have also seen some research that shows that high intensity weight training (not necessarily huge weights but heavier weights and doing reps to failure and/or negative reps) burns a lot more fat than 30-60 min of jogging or bike riding.

The upshot of most of this is that it can take less time to get a fat-burning workout and it's not as boring IMO.

Good luck!

Sounds like the burst training I've recently started. Same here, was jogging before. Now I sprint 1 minute walk 1 minute. Same with weights, before was doing 12 reps, 10 reps, etc. now it's 40 seconds as fast as you can go, with proper form, then rest 1-2 minutes.

Keep it up!

I think a safer way to do the HIIT workouts for you might be on a bike or better yet a rowing machine. (I wish I had the cash for one of these babies:desire::

http://www.jamesstroud.com/postings/c2-versus-waterrower

http://www.rowing-machine-review.com/best-rowing-machines/waterrower-vs-concept2/

http://www.amazon.com/WaterRower-Natural-Machine-Ash-S4/dp/B000A6QIMS )

Also look up "Tabata training" as this seems to be the best-researched version of what high-intensity training is.
You definitely have to be smart about it either way. You can get hurt doing running sprints or long slow jogs.

I have also seen some research that shows that high intensity weight training (not necessarily huge weights but heavier weights and doing reps to failure and/or negative reps) burns a lot more fat than 30-60 min of jogging or bike riding.

The upshot of most of this is that it can take less time to get a fat-burning workout and it's not as boring IMO.

Good luck!

I had not heard of Tabata training before, but looks like a great option to look into. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back