Headed to Vegas, should I get fit at Callaway's Topgolf fitting studio?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had two fittings in the last year at two local stores. Wasn't really impressed with either one. Why? Well, other than some static measurements, they only had me hit a few times and then decided on what I was fit for. Perhaps it's an age thing (I'm 68) and they figured that anything would suit me because I can't be too serious about my game at this age. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm going to Vegas the first week in December and I noticed that Callaway has their own fitting studio in the Topgolf located behind the MGM Grand. According to their website, fittings can be done for the whole bag and take about an hour. Just wondering if I should take advantage of this opportunity to get fitted there? The cost is not a factor.

You're probably wondering if I'm happy with what I'm playing? Yes and No. Yes, I love the Callaway Steelhead irons, Steelhead hybrids, and Fusion 3W. The only adjustment made on the Steelhead irons was -1/4 inch on the length. Hybrids and 3W I ordered direct. What I've noticed is that in order to hit the sweet spot on the irons, I have to address the ball about 1/2 inch closer to the hosel, then it seems like I hit the sweet spot consistently. Maybe that's more to do with my swing and doesn't require any hardware changes, but then again, maybe that's a sign of something that was overlooked in my previous fittings. I don't seem to have any issues with the hybrids or 3W and address them with the ball in the center of the club face.

I did have a slicing issue with long irons and driver, but I think I've been able to fix that with some slight swing modifications.

Would I order new clubs based on the new fitting? If they were emphatic enough that my current setup is causing me to change my swing to accommodate the incorrect setup, I would probably either change the clubs I have or trade them and buy a new setup.

What's your opinion? Go for the club fitting or it's probably a waste of time.

if you're unsure of whether your existing set is right for you, the only way to assuage that concern is to get re-fit. i don't think it would be a waste of time at all. i would, however, be concerned about doing a comprehensive full bag fitting in an hour. that doesn't seem like enough time to me. so i would say to think about what part of your bag you are most concerned about, and just focus on that for the majority of your time.

I did a driver fitting in Vegas at Callaway Fitting Studio where Taylormade Experience is now.
I was really happy with the fitting - Really tweaked the driver to fit me.

All I would say to you, if can get a fitting where the weather is warm, you can hit outside where you can see the ball flight - I'd take it.

I did a driver fitting in Vegas at Callaway Fitting Studio where Taylormade Experience is now.
I was really happy with the fitting - Really tweaked the driver to fit me.

All I would say to you, if can get a fitting where the weather is warm, you can hit outside where you can see the ball flight - I'd take it.

Unfortunately, their fitting is indoors using a trackman and their proprietary fitting software.

Unfortunately, their fitting is indoors using a trackman and their proprietary fitting software.

If you aren't one who is dead set on Callaway only, they can fit you outdoors at the TaylorMade Golf Experience in LV. I tend to agree with markm; seeing ball flight outdoors is preferable to sim only when dialing in clubs/swing changes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd get fit at Top Golf. They may have a fitting center but that I wonder how many fittings they do and how good it would be.

I'm not sure I'd get fit at Top Golf. They may have a fitting center but that I wonder how many fittings they do and how good it would be.

I was thinking that Topgolf is a partially owned (or completely owned) by Callaway that they would probably do pretty good fittings there. Could be wrong...

It looks like their lead guy is a PGA Pro and their second guy is an apprentice. I would imagine that you would get a good fitting. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

As others stated, the Taylormade Experience site would be my recommendation... That said, the Top Golf location in Vegas is pretty sweet!! It has a pool and a stage for a band, say nothing about the jumbo screens at the end of the range allowing you to watch the game while on the tee box.

Headed to Vegas, should I get fit at Callaway's Topgolf fitting studio?

TopGolf in Vegas is probably their best location. Go for the fun and rent a booth.
Be prepared to wait an hour for the booth. There is food and drink there at bar 3rd level while you wait. Pool is there but most people in it are hired. They have different rooms on different levels so I'm not surprised if they do fittings there.

Lights up at night so that's a good time to go :)

82fc07c62d57834afb1f5ed9455832b7.jpg

Unless you're devoted to Callaway, I'd be hesitant getting fit by someone representing one manufacturer. I'd prefer to get the opinion of someone without an allegiance and with more options to try. Of course, I've only been playing a couple of years and am a 30 handicap, so I don't know much.

Back