salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
I want to cut my driver from 45" to 44". That is a lot of lead tape. What are some other ways to weight to get the SW back to normal?

Hot melt, but I don't have experience to help you out much more than that.

HD tape is another option and the one I typically use.

I'm not a big swing weight guy. With that said, if I usually alter a driver in a way that will change swing weight, I just keep telling myself that the swing weight is the same. That method hasn't let me down yet.

Was doing some research and saw some people put yarn in the head.

Isn't that more a sound thing? I would think a ton of yarn would be needed.

I've never looked carefully at the Amp Cell head. Is there something removable that gives you access to the inside of the head?

Isn't that more a sound thing? I would think a ton of yarn would be needed.

Yes but some of the people weighed out the amount for SW also. However chopping an inch would require alot. I may just take to my club guy and have him do it .

I've never looked carefully at the Amp Cell head. Is there something removable that gives you access to the inside of the head?

I can't go down through the neck? Honestly never looked.

Lighter grip. 5g of grip = 1 sw pt.

Lighter grip. 5g of grip = 1 sw pt.

Whats lighter than a womens grip (my current setup)? At least if I screw it up NVs are cheap and can be easily replaced.

Have you tried just keeping the length and choking down on the grip?

Winn makes a grip that is 23-25g. Called a Winn lite I believe. Put some on my irons and helped a lot.

I can't go down through the neck? Honestly never looked.

Yes, if the hosel adapter is open you can add something through there. I use yarn as it is the simplest to remove if you want/need to. If you have a good kitchen scale, you can weigh it (2 grams added to the head = 1 SW point). I usually add between 5-10 feet of yarn depending on the yarn heft and how big of a SW adjustment I need to make.

Have you tried just keeping the length and choking down on the grip?

I do this currently but it still messes with the SW feel.

I dunno man. You obviously have some options, some more time consuming than others, and some uglier than others. I typically just go quick and dirty with the HD tape. You can cut nice rounded edges on it to make it look better.

Lots of options. I may stop in to the local shop and ask what my fitter/builder thinks.

I dunno man. You obviously have some options, some more time consuming than others, and some uglier than others. I typically just go quick and dirty with the HD tape. You can cut nice rounded edges on it to make it look better.
On my black Callaway V Series fairways, I put electrical tape on the HD lead tape and it blends quite well.

That's a pretty damn good idea Sox.

If i went the lead tape route does it matter where I put it. Since it is an Amp Cell which is a bit higher spinning head I could put the weight low and forward to bring the spin down, right? Correct me if I am off base.

Common opinion on that is you'd need much more weight than people typically add. I don't recall specifics.

I'm not a big swing weight guy. With that said, if I usually alter a driver in a way that will change swing weight, I just keep telling myself that the swing weight is the same. That method hasn't let me down yet.

I agree. Too much is made about SW of the driver. Just butt trim it and see how it feels. 99% of the people would never know the difference. Bigger deal in irons and wedges. I want each to have the same SW so they feel the same. Not so much with driver. It is a different animal.

Hot melt, weight down the shaft, lead tape. Lots of ways to add weight. Then you have those that are in the counter balance group. What do you think adding a weighted grip does to SW? All very subjective.

I agree. Too much is made about SW of the driver. Just butt trim it and see how it feels. 99% of the people would never know the difference. Bigger deal in irons and wedges. I want each to have the same SW so they feel the same. Not so much with driver. It is a different animal.

Hot melt, weight down the shaft, lead tape. Lots of ways to add weight. Then you have those that are in the counter balance group. What do you think adding a weighted grip does to SW? All very subjective.
Adding weight to the grip decreases swing weight.

Adding weight to the grip decreases swing weight.

That was my point. Still changes SW, the same as butt trimming a shaft.

Back