Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this has been out and about online for a bit, but here are specs and pics of the new Fly-Z driver that I'll be reviewing for the home page.

Lofts: (1 driver for all lofts) 9°-12° with three 'draw' settings.
Length: 45.5"
Volume: 460cc
Swing Weight: D3-D4 (depending on shaft)
Availability: LH/RH
Colors: Red, Black, Blue, Green, Orange, White
Price: $329
Shaft: Matrix VLCT Sp - 53g (Lite) to 63g (X)
Custom Options Available

As with many recent Cobra offerings, the primary technology focus here is weight manipulation, meaning Cobra is looking to take weight from places it's not needed and move it back in the head to raise launch, lower spin, and increase MOI (forgiveness). Some of that will be visible to the consumer (see the Speed Channel milled out around the face and the large weight in the back) and some isn't as visible.

Consistent with the last three offerings, the driver also features MyFly adjustability and the Smart Pad that is supposed to ensure the appearance of a square face with any loft setting.

DSCN5964-L.jpg

DSCN5970-L.jpg

DSCN5969-L.jpg

DSCN5965-L.jpg

DSCN5972-L.jpg

DSCN5976-L.jpg

DSCN5979-L.jpg

Great looking head, even the speed channel on the face is a nice touch.

No experience with that stock shaft, wonder how that compares to the stock red tie from last year.

Really looking forward to the review thanks...

• Staff
Great looking head, even the speed channel on the face is a nice touch.

No experience with that stock shaft, wonder how that compares to the stock red tie from last year.

We've reviewed the shaft twice actually - or should I say the aftermarket version. It was originally called Velox when I reviewed it and then renamed VLCT. It was supposed to be a higher launching shaft.

Really interested in this review. The Fly-Z peaked my interest.

I wonder if Fowler makes the switch to the FlyZ line, and if he does, if he goes with this over the FlyZ+ like he did with the Bio Cell

We've reviewed the shaft twice actually - or should I say the aftermarket version. It was originally called Velox when I reviewed it and then renamed VLCT. It was supposed to be a higher launching shaft.

Thanks, remember the Velox but wasn't aware of the name change.

Interesting change from a mid to high launch shaft as stock but assuming it's for a good reason with the head profile.

Love the blue. Hate the yellow accents at the rear.

But damn that is a good looking head overall. Looking forward to thoughts Hawk.

Blue definitely looks good to me as well, but the yellow I'm not really digging that much.

I'm interested to see how this performs against the Bio Cell. You can find some good deals on the Bio Cell right now.

Thanks, remember the Velox but wasn't aware of the name change.

Interesting change from a mid to high launch shaft as stock but assuming it's for a good reason with the head profile.

Wasn't the PXv the stock shaft for the standard Bio Cell, and the Red Tie the stock shaft for the Bio Cell+? Though looking at the Fly Z+ specs, the stock shaft in there is the VLCT as well (The ST model, I don't know what the difference is), so your point still stands.

Add me to the list of folks who don't love the yellow.

Last edited:
Wasn't the PXv the stock shaft for the standard Bio Cell, and the Red Tie the stock shaft for the Bio Cell+? Though looking at the Fly Z+ specs, the stock shaft in there is the VLCT as well (The ST model, I don't know what the difference is), so your point still stands.

Add me to the list of folks who don't love the yellow.

Agree with the folks on the

You're spot on, thanks. I definitely mixed up the heads in my mind.

Sp = Players version
St = Tour version (stiffer tip section)

Sp = Players version

Its like...you have some prior experience or something....

Blue still looks amazing.

Looking forward to your thoughts Hawk. The new Cobra offerings quite excite me.

Sp = Players version

Do you think Cobra will let you (from them) put the St version in the regular FlyZ? I also read that the St is better to chopping down which I want to do to 44.5 or 44.

Do you think Cobra will let you (from them) put the St version in the regular FlyZ? I also read that the St is better to chopping down which I want to do to 44.5 or 44.

Sorry, I don't know. It's not on their list of custom options online, but worth a call.

Fwiw, you're going to have swing weight issues cutting off that much regardless of the shaft.

Sorry, I don't know. It's not on their list of custom options online, but worth a call.

Fwiw, you're going to have swing weight issues cutting off that much regardless of the shaft.

I know. I am going to start buying stock in lead tape companies.

Like the look of the blue head. The yellow would not be my first choice but no biggie. Will look forward to reading your review impressions.

I wonder if Fowler makes the switch to the FlyZ line, and if he does, if he goes with this over the FlyZ+ like he did with the Bio Cell

There's a quote from Cobra saying that they designed the Fly-Z+ with hopes of Fowler one day replacing his BC+ with it.

OK, mine is Blue with Yellow,. you guys are giving me a complex..lol
Blue definitely looks good to me as well, but the yellow I'm not really digging that much.

OK, mine is Blue with Yellow,. you guys are giving me a complex..lol

LOL. Actually, the topside I like, but the bottom side is just a little more gold and I'm not that in love with it. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

Now I am going to be looking at the bottom of my club...ugh

But seriously, I likes the club when I hit it. Looking forward to your thoughts
LOL. Actually, the topside I like, but the bottom side is just a little more gold and I'm not that in love with it. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

Should get a first run tomorrow at it. I'm hoping to test out some launch/loft questions I've had in my head and the range of lofts should help accomplish that.

Back