tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
An instructor started chatting me up at the range last night. He eventually shared the opinion that hitting the punch draw was a key. I think it related to making clean powerful contact but I'm not sure. I am curious to hear from Freddie on this. Does it make sense to you / do you know what he was saying? Can you expand on this and explain more about why the punch draw is important?

Last edited:
A 6i punch draw that started left of target was a drill my instructor had me working on in our first lesson. It was used to learn to control the club face to make it start left. The rest was to get me used to feeling the release of the club as this was something I was struggling with.

A 6i punch draw that started left of target was a drill my instructor had me working on in our first lesson. It was used to learn to control the club face to make it start left. The rest was to get me used to feeling the release of the club as this was something I was struggling with.

So he had you hitting a left going left shot? What was he trying to correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can teach you pull hooks, no need to pay someone. Easy peasy.

Emart must be a lefty as far as I can figure. Hence his hook starting on the wrong, er, left side. :laughing:

I had been fighting a two way miss. A pull/hook and high right weak pushes. Many of my issues were due to synchronization issues and how my hands would drop in the transition but my elbow would kick back and create steep downswing then trying to get back into a good contact position I was having to manipulate alot of things causing some bad positions at impact including open face and not releasing. We moved a way from me trying to hit a draw to playing a fade.

He setup an alignment stick about 15' in front me. The purpose of starting the ball left of the alignment stick was to control the club face similar to a drill of hitting shots that start right of a target, left of target and at the target all designed to know what the club face is doing. Since we were working on a fade the starting left of the alignment stick was to get ethefeelimg of starting the ball on that line.

The punch draw was to work non weight transfer and feeling the release of the club. Get the feeling of a square club face at impact and then the club releasing. While it may sound like a left shot goimg left it really wasn't that dramatic.

Emart must be a lefty as far as I can figure. Hence his hook starting on the wrong, er, left side. :laughing:

I'm a righty.

My instructor ha me working on the same drill of trying to get the ball to go left. I have been fighting a wipey slice for a while so getting the face to close is something I need to ingrain.

Curious what others that know more about the swing have to say about this topic.

An instructor started chatting me up at the range last night. He eventually shared the opinion that hitting the punch draw was a key. I think it related to making clean powerful contact but I'm not sure. I am curious to hear from Freddie on this. Does it make sense to you / do you know what he was saying? Can you expand on this and explain more about why the punch draw is important?

The shot requires a 3/4 or 1/2 swing with acceleration from hip to hip

Low hands through impact

Covering the ball (turning the club head with the hands) descending blow

Holding the finish

Clearing the hips

Weight forward at impact

All the pieces for a full swing except the ball is flighted lower

Back