Tour Edge Exotics XJ1 Fairway Wood - THP Inside Look

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Tour Edge Exotics XJ1 line is the most advanced metal woods lineup the company has released to date. With the premium price of each club, we wanted to find out more about the technology and materials that go into making a fairway wood quite like this.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/thp-inside-look-tour-edge-exotics-xj1-fairway-wood/

First off, I have to admit I'm a Big Fan and User of Tour Edge clubs since the CB3 Fairway came out. Being in the business, I have the opportunity and privilege to try just about any new club being offered by the Major OEMs and all I can say is....."Do yourself a favor and demo the Tour Edge line." You may be pleasantly surprised!

I consider Tour Edge as being one of finest in what is called "The Cult" line of clubs ie., Bridgestone, Mizuno, Srixon, etc. and most assuredly....Not for everyone.

I personally play the E8 Irons, Driver, Fairway and Hybrid and look forward to the new line and the funny thing is.....I do not have an account with them, but I no doubt will in the not too distant future. lol!

Thanks, Play Well!

JB - Did you hit it? If so, what did you think?

• Admin
First off, great video quality. I watched it full screen on my 27" and can really get a good look at the sole. I like the tech it sounds great and the brazing process is pretty neat. Would be fun to hit, but lack of adjustability is concerning to me. Maybe it doesn't need it? Will be interesting to see what kind of results we see with it.

• Admin
First off, great video quality. I watched it full screen on my 27" and can really get a good look at the sole. I like the tech it sounds great and the brazing process is pretty neat. Would be fun to hit, but lack of adjustability is concerning to me. Maybe it doesn't need it? Will be interesting to see what kind of results we see with it.

I asked about the adjustability and it really came down to weight on this one.
Thanks on the video quality. It was shot in 4K and despite being just a voice over, the quality is there for those that want to zoom and such.

The video quality was really good. Lots of good information within this video on the product itself.

The video was great, the club looks great, the tech sounds great, but....at around $400, I don't see this going in my bag.

The video was great, the club looks great, the tech sounds great, but....at around $400, I don't see this going in my bag.

I'm with you. Really like low profile woods so this has my attention. I'm sure it will be a great performer. It's one to keep my eye on in case there are any good deals.

That does bring up an interesting question. Is there a limit on one a club can cost in a category?

That does bring up an interesting question. Is there a limit on one a club can cost in a category?
To me there is, but it's all about the market. Do you think that exotics is aiming this at the pxg-type consumer? Or do you think that they are aiming this at the masses, and this is just the pricepoint to front the new technology?

To me there is, but it's all about the market. Do you think that exotics is aiming this at the pxg-type consumer? Or do you think that they are aiming this at the masses, and this is just the pricepoint to front the new technology?

In my crystal ball, based solely off what I know about the tech, its after the XXIO, PXG market. I knew going in this could not be in the regular price category, because of the cost to get it made, but its an interesting segment that we are programmed in a sense to have certain clubs in certain price points that we are allowed to "spend". Putters and Drivers seem to be where it is.

In my crystal ball, based solely off what I know about the tech, its after the XXIO, PXG market. I knew going in this could not be in the regular price category, because of the cost to get it made, but its an interesting segment that we are programmed in a sense to have certain clubs in certain price points that we are allowed to "spend". Putters and Drivers seem to be where it is.

TEE has often put out high cost metal woods haven't they? "EXOTIC" = expensive. No problems with that in my eyes. But as someone who started a thread asking if anybody actually cares about fairway woods since there seems to be such little chatter about them (compare the volume of posts in the fusion driver thread to the fusion fw thread), I think a $400 fw is a tough sell. It certainly would be for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEE has often put out high cost metal woods haven't they? "EXOTIC" = expensive. No problems with that in my eyes. But as someone who started a thread asking if anybody actually cares about fairway woods since there seems to be such little chatter about them (compare the volume of posts in the fusion driver thread to the fusion fw thread), I think a $400 fw is a tough sell. It certainly would be for me.

I tend to agree with you. I guess my question is why? Why do drivers and putters cost more than fairway woods and that is acceptable? Im asking honestly.

I tend to agree with you. I guess my question is why? Why do drivers and putters cost more than fairway woods and that is acceptable? Im asking honestly.

I think the typical (not necessarily incorrect) response is how often the club is used. Could be 14 times for driver, 30+ times for putter. I can go a whole round and never hit the fairway wood. It's not a club that gets a ton of use for many of us.

I think the typical (not necessarily incorrect) response is how often the club is used. Could be 14 times for driver, 30+ times for putter. I can go a whole round and never hit the fairway wood. It's not a club that gets a ton of use for many of us.

The counter for that would be that perhaps you should be as much as your driver, plus it needs the versatility to also be used off the deck.
And if that were a real argument, wedges would cost $500 each :D

And if that were a real argument, wedges would cost $500 each :D

There would be rioting in the streets!!!

There would be rioting in the streets!!!

Haha. There might be, but it does change the perspective on usage.
Pricing is an interesting area.

Haha. There might be, but it does change the perspective on usage.
Pricing is an interesting area.

There was recently an article on another website that laid out the actual costs in making a driver. Less than $100. Heck, the shaft only costs about $8-10 (think about that the next time you want to buy that $400-$500 upgraded shaft...). It then laid out all of the people who get paid off that $500 driver. A lot of people eating at the trough.

That's probably why it's best to either buy a used driver or a year or two old new driver.

Golf is expensive. All the way around. I could probably take my family of 5 to Disney World a couple times a year for the amount of money I spend on this game to suck. LOL.

There was recently an article on another website that laid out the actual costs in making a driver. Less than $100. Heck, the shaft only costs about $8-10 (think about that the next time you want to buy that $400-$500 upgraded shaft...). It then laid out all of the people who get paid off that $500 driver. A lot of people eating at the trough.

That's probably why it's best to either buy a used driver or a year or two old new driver.

Golf is expensive. All the way around. I could probably take my family of 5 to Disney World a couple times a year for the amount of money I spend on this game to suck. LOL.

You never want to see what it costs for your cell phone, your home, your food, your tv, your clothing, or anything else then. Somehow its news that we pay a premium for golf products? :D Not a big fan of shock articles.

So seeing this coming in 4W has me thinking that if I can gain some distance over a 3W, I can bag the 4W and add a wedge.
I use my 3W/5W all the time, so it would be worth it to me...

You never want to see what it costs for your cell phone, your home, your food, your tv, your clothing, or anything else then. Somehow its news that we pay a premium for golf products? :D Not a big fan of shock articles.

Yep. I think an IPhone costs about $24 to make. (but good luck making one yourself lol) I'm with you on the shock articles. They rarely cover the somewhat intangibles like overhead, marketing, supply, etc.

TEE are amazing and underrated. FWIW: My low profile XCG7 FW's are like shootin fish in a barrel. (Shafts pulled from G30 Fw' heads to XCG7)

TEE are amazing and underrated. FWIW: My low profile XCG7 FW's are like shootin fish in a barrel. (Shafts pulled from G30 Fw' heads to XCG7)

As you can see from my signature, I'm a big fan too LOL. And you are correct. I played the XCG7 Beta 4 wood for about 2 1/2 years until I recently put the M2 5 Wood in the bag. The XCG7 line flat out performs. Gave the 4 wood to my buddy and he loves it. Tour Edge Exotics fairways and hybrids are the real deal. I haven't found a driver or iron set from them I love, but they're pretty much all I have played for hybrids and fairways over the last 3 or 4 years.

Maybe the XJ1 will knock my CB Pro 3 wood out of my bag....but I can't see anything else knocking it out of the bag anytime soon!

Back