Why won't you show up as a single or play with strangers ?

I was never shy about playing with strangers. When I first learning I wanted to see better players. When I was a 14 went out at twilight and went off with one other player, a 3. He got up and down from every where, after finishing the round thanked him for the clinic. After that is when I signed up for lessons, after a year I was that 3. The best players I had the privilege to play with was as a walk on. Babe Zaharias Course, Industry Hills, California. The LPGA had played there in the past.
The starter put me with the SCGA Sectional Champion and the number one women's player from Long Beach State College. I watcher her putt on the practice green and did not know who she was. We played from the champion/back tees. He shot 68, I shot 70 and she shot 71. Par was 71. What a great day of enjoyable golf that was, I will never forget it.

That's one he!! of group to shoot golf with. Just think, not being open to playing as a single and you miss playing in a threesome that shot a cumulative 4 under with nobody over par - fantastic!

I'm in Little Rock a lot for business. So much so that I keep a set of clubs at the hotel here. I get out with people I work with some of the time but they have families and lives so there are many days when my choice is going to the golf course or sitting on a bar stool. I pick golf (at least while there's enough light).

I go to a local muni that is close by and I'll either go out by myself or get paired up with some folks. Met some really nice people and ones that have said let's golf again. A little hard for me as my schedule is fluid and I only really know if I am going to get out right before I do.

Got out today and ran into two guys I golfed with last year. They work for Fedex and do the AM shift so they get out after work. Real nice people and great golfers. They bomb the ball over tall trees 300+ yards and go for it driving greens on short par 4s They have great game and absolutely no attitude about it.

This is a great game with some great people playing it.

I use to hate being paired with strangers simply cause of the confidence in my game. But now I'm fine with what I do and enjoy meeting new people. But ideally if I get a late afternoon round I want that to be solo for time reasons/ practice. But if I go out Sunday morning solo or just with one other person I hope that I do get paired up.

I've never had a bad experience playing with strangers, but I'm still uncomfortable with it, often to the point where I won't play if it is likely I'll get added to another group. I'm not sure if this is some latent embarrassment about my poor golf skills, or just plain social anxiety.

Why won't you show up as a single or play with strangers ?

I decided last minute to play on Monday so I booked the last available tee time as a single. The starter said I was grouped with another single and a pair. The pair never showed so it was just me and the other single who was playing a replay round. He decided to leave after 15 holes.

Of course on the 16th tee I proceeded to bomb a huge drive down the middle of the fairway. On the par 3 17th tee while waiting for the group in front to finish, I have a strange feeling like I wasn't alone. I turned around and saw...

26d59ba2087dab0d7d60cf5ce73d867d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back into golf, and none of my friends play. So I've played as a single multiple times so far this year. Several times I played by myself, and on two occasions I was paired up in a foursome. So far I have met really nice people and solid golfers. By the end of each round, I felt like I was playing with buddies. I will play again with people I met from both groups, starting this Friday afternoon. I am also signed up as an alternate in a men's league and will likely end up playing with lots of new people over the course of the year. Works for me.

All my old golf buddies moved or gave up so unless I find some THP'ers to play with I am usually a single. Sometimes its more fun as a single. One of the most fun days was ar a resort course and I got matched up with three buddies, two younger and one (I still remember his name) about my age. We had a blast. The older guy was kind of the ringleader and once it became "old" guys vs. young guys it was on, just friendly guy stuff but it was a day I remember.

I guess in the end I like being a single most of the time. There are guys who are decided on how things are but I just let them do whatever they want and enjoy my round. I guess it has made my game better too. You play with guys who can't shut up, the "pro" who wants to fix your game, people who are distracting, angry, men, ladies, kids, handicapped people, blind golfers and everything. I think it has helped my focus and helped me realize things that can steal my focus from playing good golf.

I like playing alone, unless its with friends. I'm too much of an introvert.

If I have to ill group up, but its awkward to me and I tend to still keep to myself.

I probably play 90% of my rounds as a single. I generally play early in the morning or late in the afternoon. During the week my work schedule can be so unpredictable it's not convenient for making a tee time so I usually just show up if there's still daylight. I'll go out solo if the clubhouse will allow it. Otherwise I don't mind joining up with a group on the tee. Maybe once a year I'll run into a group that doesn't want to add a stranger but due to the clubhouse request they accept. I usually play the first couple of holes with them then either let them go ahead or offer to play on solo.

I have no problems playing by myself, getting paired up though is like shaking the dice.

I prefer to play by myself or with others I know. My work schedule rarely allows me to play with folks I know, so I usually show up as a single. I always hope I don't get teamed up with strangers, but it happens about half the time. I've never had to play with anybody that bothered me, and it's sometimes a blessing I disguise. Getting paired up means less waiting on groups in front of me or having to play through.

I play as a single and get thrown into foursomes all the time, usually it works out fine, but there's always a chance you get paired up with the drinking group.

I play as a single and get thrown into foursomes all the time, usually it works out fine, but there's always a chance you get paired up with the drinking group.

Is there anything wrong with that?

I pretty much play with strangers all the time. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's just okay. Rarely is it bad. Pretty much mimics my experience with people in any other situation.

Playing 9 today, in fact! Hoping to meet some nice people.

I love playing alone. I don't mind if I'm paired at all, but there's nothing quite like playing alone. It's quiet, you can enjoy the course, you can play and move fast... it's just very pleasant.

Went out today as a single after work and got stuck behind a horrible 4-some who wouldn't let me play through despite walking up to the tee as they were pulling away. Thankfully, another single was behind me and I asked him if he wanted to join up as I obviously wasn't going anywhere, and I'm so glad I did. His name was Brian and he was an international student from Switzerland. An incredibly nice guy that was fairly new to the game. We got to talk a ton about equipment, and what things we're working on, and what he thought of the state/country, and overall was just a very pleasant round that would have been infinitely more frustrating if I was playing as a single waiting for the idiots in front of us.

When I am away working I will often go and play a round as a single. However most of the guys at the course will always ask if I would like to join them. Sunday afternoon, I was on hole 3 and the marshall was chasing me down the fairway. There was an older guy with him who was looking for a playing partner, who jumped in my buggy.

The majority of the older players can not speak any English, I can not speak any Malaysian Bhasa but golf overcomes the language barrier. Im quite happy playing alone or with strangers.

I love going as a single and joining up with strangers. Just did it today as a matter of fact.
I think as a golfer's handicap falls below 15 the 'embarrassment factor' goes away. Golfers that regularly break 90 I would say seem more apt to join up with strangers.

I haven't done it in about 6 years.. but I'm about to start again. I have several people I play with, but none are consistent. Matter of fact, going to play 9 after work today. Weather is just too darn nice.

When I was living in NY there was no avoiding it since they would always make guys pair up just cause it was so crowded. Here in Florida they sometimes send me out alone or ask if I want to pair up. Usually I say I'll pair up since it's just more enjoyable to me to have someone to talk to and meet someone new. While I have had some guys I didn't like being paired up with I have to say most of the time it has always been enjoyable.

My preference is to play with my friends, but when I do go solo I'll go with whatever is presented to me. I do love a midweek round with the course all to myself. The only time I regret playing with a stranger is when they rely on me to track their balls for them. I don't mind helping but it gets old quick when it seems like they need help every single hole.

I'm fine with strangers. I just like to play. My father-in-law freaks out with strangers and gets super irritable.

Get paired with others all the time. I rather enjoy it and have met some interesting people.

I much prefer playing with friends vs alone but when we can't hook up, alone or with strangers is just fine by me.

Incidentally, my buddies are the same as the OP's. They'd never head to the course alone. If they're not playing with friends, they're not playing.

Over the course of my last 10 rounds in playing with strangers, I've met some truly sensational people. I've had a job offer with a follow-up to urge my reconsideration, and another person who is a successful engineer. He offered great advice for my son who's studying to be an engineer himself. The advice, professional and personal, has already proved very beneficial.

Just yesterday was a round with two great guys from Manhattan. A photographer and a restaurant owner. Fascinating people, both with an excellent sense of humor. Within a few holes we were sharing jokes and trading barbs as if we were friends for years.

Times like these make it so easy to put up with the occasional awkward personality or malcontent.

Back