Where to go from here?

NeverWiff

Reaction score
Handicap
13.4 GHIN
Hi gang... brand spankin' new member here, though a long time lurker..

After a very tough season, due to disc problems, I finished the season playing quite well...for me. Currently a 17 hdcp, but FINALLY broke 80 recently.. a 79.... with 3 double bogies. I'm very inconsistent... obviously - but mainly off the tee (my iron game usually saves the day)

Anyhow, I've been playing Ping G10's since I Started playing again in '07 or '08 after a very long absence. I've been considering new irons the last year or so, but really have no idea what to check out next. I like hitting the Pings, hear the new G series is very nice but am also open to other options... obviously need to get fitted, but didn't know if there were thoughts on where to go from here... love the look of the new Wilson irons as well as the Hogan PTx... Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings... Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

Are you seeing any consistent misses with the G10s? Do you feel like you may be hitting the ball too low or too high? Are you considering steel shaft vs graphite? Do you not like the looks of the irons at address?

There's a lot to consider, but on the good side of things, pretty much every manufacturer will have a few sets of irons that'll work for you. I know that's not very definitive... but the best thing I can say is to bring your 7i to a local shop and hit it up against some newer irons and see if there's any major gains.

Welcome. So many good options on the market both new and a few years old. In Ping the i20s have been my favorite iron and can be had for under $300. The g is a good series but they are larger than I and iirc the g10s too. Wilson and Hogan are great options. My recommendation is find a place to demo them and get fit for what you like and works for you

Welcome to THP

welcome to THP.

Hi gang... brand spankin' new member here, though a long time lurker..

After a very tough season, due to disc problems, I finished the season playing quite well...for me. Currently a 17 hdcp, but FINALLY broke 80 recently.. a 79.... with 3 double bogies. I'm very inconsistent... obviously - but mainly off the tee (my iron game usually saves the day)

Anyhow, I've been playing Ping G10's since I Started playing again in '07 or '08 after a very long absence. I've been considering new irons the last year or so, but really have no idea what to check out next. I like hitting the Pings, hear the new G series is very nice but am also open to other options... obviously need to get fitted, but didn't know if there were thoughts on where to go from here... love the look of the new Wilson irons as well as the Hogan PTx... Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings... Cheers!

I'm left handed, so I don't have nearly the number of options to demo that most golfers do. But when I was ready to buy new irons, I read a lot of reviews here and elsewhere, did research and then headed down to the shop. I was able to demo many different irons, generally in seven. The Wilson Staff felt the best in my hands....loved it. But, on monitor, it was the Mizuno 850 forged that gave me the best results in terms of tight dispersion. It wasn't even close. So, I bought the set, changed the grips to midsize, and I've been happy ever since. Except for the gap wedge. Hate it. Play a titleist 52 degree instead.

:welcome:

Not to echo what russ and emart have said, but get a fitting or at least compare your current clubs to some newer clubs. The technology has improved greatly since then and you should find greater forgiveness or distance and probably both!

Welcome to THP! I loved the G10s, still have the G15s and currently play the G25s. I will more than likely go with the G irons but don't overlook Callaway. I've hit the new XR Steelheads quite a bit and they could prove every bit as reliable as the Gs. The prior years Callaway XR are also very good irons. Also, the G30s can be had at a nice discount to the Gs right now. As others have said, getting properly fitted will key for getting the most out of your irons.

Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP and congrats on the 79!

There are a ton of great iron set options out there, many of which have been reviewed on here. Maybe narrow the options based on reviews and personal preferences then go demo those that made the cut.

Welcome to THP!

What are you looking for out of the next set? Why are you changing?

Glad to have you here!!!

My advice. Forget the irons (you said as much). get fitted for a driver...make sure to test it at different lengths. I am biased but I would look at a 917d2 with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch cut off the end.

You can thank me later

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!! It's special!!

Welcome to THP!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and feedback on my first post!! Definitely lots of options out there and i plan on taking full advantage of the winter to sort out what i'd like to test. Definitely going for a fitting as i'm sure there have been changes since i picked up the G10's 8 yrs ago. i'm excited to see the difference (or not) between my existing set and what is now available... if no big deal, i'm happy to play the Pings as i have no REAL complaints with them. Keeping it in the short grass, off the tee, is my big concern. Hard to score well when you're not there..... and that's all on me, not the clubs.

Sweethebs: i DID get fitted for a driver and ended up with the Titleist 915 D3 (actually won a raffle for a fitting AND club!!) Unfortunately, as mentioned, some back issues prevented much play this season until very recently. I REALLY like the new driver, get good distance out of it (for me) and when i put a good swing on it, yields some very nice results. Putting a CONSISTENT swing on it is the challenge i have, but took a couple lessons late-season (my first formal lessons) and i've really seen some improvement with with the small changes recommended - so there IS hope! When i do my part, can even put a little baby draw on the ball, instead of the big banana slice that appeared with alarming regularity.... have even added some distance.

So there you have it - thus begins a new members saga in the search for the "perfect" set of irons!! :bulgy-eyes: Again, thanks to all, i'm looking forward to enjoying the forum!

Back