BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Going to be smoking a brisket today. Just a small 3lbs flat. Will put it on in a few hours and have it ready a little after the US Open starts on tv. I'm traveling tomorrow so both my kids are home today as we celebrate father's day together by eating and watching the open. I'll post some pics later.

We need pictures of the finished product.

This is the rub I used. Put it on the flat yesterday, then into a zip lock bag and the fridge. I use this rub a lot. Has a bit of spiciness to it that I enjoy.

20150620_071232_zpsaq45mgan.jpg

Just put the brisket on the smoker. Here is the before view.

20150620_101553_zpsuuhhv6qp.jpg

Just put the brisket on the smoker. Here is the before view.

20150620_101553_zpsuuhhv6qp.jpg

Wish I could master the brisket. Only seem to hit the mark about 1 in 3 times. Starting a Pork shoulder myself later today. Much more forgiving and a family favorite.

Going to put a little twist on it by having some corn tortillas,cilantro, lime and onion available as an alternative to the standard pulled pork sandwich for the extended family tomorrow. Makes excellent street tacos.

Wish I could master the brisket. Only seem to hit the mark about 1 in 3 times. Starting a Pork shoulder myself later today. Much more forgiving and a family favorite.

Going to put a little twist on it by having some corn tortillas,cilantro, lime and onion available as an alternative to the standard pulled pork sandwich for the extended family tomorrow. Makes excellent street tacos.

Those street tacos sound awesome. I'm no expert on brisket by any means, but from what I've read the key is to let it rest. Mine comes out pretty good each time with smoking until internal 160*, then wrapping in foil and continuing to heat until 200*. Take it out of the smoker, leave it in foil, wrap in old towels and put in a cooler for about an hour. Lets the meat recover from the stress of cooking and will keep it juicy. Cutting to early will cause it to dry out.

The street tacos sound really good.

If you get a brisket with a fat cap (called the fat end or the head -- I think), you get a little bit of a buffer on cooking. The fat will continue to baste during smoking, and you can always trim off any excess remaining.

Other than that, 225 temp is the key.

And the finished product. So good!

20150620_191056_zpspxso93nn.jpg

Looks fantastic CPL.

Phase 1 of the weekend smoke is complete:
4b5bf9670ee6d09b0887fc07b2deef1e.jpg

The cooler is a must IMO.

Yes! I have a cooler that I use which is just big enough to put two decent sized turkeys in it to brine overnight. I also use it to let things rest after cooking. I can open it up a half hour later and the meat still is plenty warm.

picnic is in the cooler resting after 13 hours of smoking overnight. Cant wait to open it up!

Time to pull!
367e9f096a777408b67eb19a2b21f413.jpg

20150703_203714_zpssuvzxtmg.jpg~320x480

5,5 lb pork butt bone in All prepped for a family and friends competition tomorrow. Gonna sit in the rub overnight, all wrapped up.

Smoked a 9lb pork shoulder today for pulled pork sandwiches, etc. Tomorrow is 8 racks or ribs and rib tips. We're eating good this weekend.

Have a 4lb butt on the smoker right now. Will throw some wings on latter this afternoon. I'll smoke the wings for 1.5 to 2 hours then crisp them up on the grill before serving. I'll take some pictures of the wings and post later.

Have a 4lb butt on the smoker right now. Will throw some wings on latter this afternoon. I'll smoke the wings for 1.5 to 2 hours then crisp them up on the grill before serving. I'll take some pictures of the wings and post later.

Nice. Looking forward to pics.

Here are the wings after 2 hours in the smoker. Just used several dry rub flavors on them, all from Penzey's Spices.

20150704_174051_zpsrru7wp3c.jpg

And this is after crisping them on the grill. About 4 minutes each side.

20150704_175409_zps0nc2terx.jpg

Those are monsters.

Here's the finished product for the pulled pork. Really good stuff.

20150704_191136_zps9lb4zmrq.jpg

Looking solid CPL. Really become fond of a rub called Butt Rub we get at Costco. Its fantastic on pulled pork.

Just helped my dad finish putting this together. Time for the initial christen with some steaks. View attachment 20706

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking set up.

Thanks. Any idea on best way to prep grills for initial burn?

Thanks. Any idea on best way to prep grills for initial burn?

I loaded it up, fired it up and brought it to different temps along the way to calibrate and see where I needed the vents set.

Back