Which IOS App and why? (Sorecard and stats)

CJoshDoll

Reaction score
Handicap
After a search, I didn't find a wealth of info on different apps in use here at THP, forgive me if I missed the right thread!

I am curious, who has experience with what IOS apps, and what they use / like and why. Last round a guy that joined our group was using GolfLogix which I started using on about #4, but I never really felt good about the app, and then accidentally deleted it, so I never got to see the post game stats.

My basic wants for an app are simple, and most cover them: GPS (distance to the hole, preferably with recommended club, even better if it shows approx distance visually with the 3 closest clubs by distance, for ex 7i is recomended to the hole so it shows an arced line over the hole for the 7i, a 6i would have an arced line past the hole, an 8i would be short), multiple player score keeping (preferably with the ability to fully track one players stats, but only track score for other players), puts per hole, shot / club tracking. The shot / club tracking may be too much to ask, but GolfLogix seemed to at least try to do this, but I never saw the post round data. Essentially I would like to be able to go back (preferably online on a website, not just on my phone) and see where each of my shots went, and what club I used.

At this point I am not too worried about stats like GiR, or other advanced stats, although if they are available without lots of added work, or they are just options for later that is great.

My biggest desire, is for something that is just simple to use. I dont want to be fiddling with a dang app and throwing myself off wasting time. Just pull it out, pick my club, and shoot. And in reality, I may not track clubs right now, just use the GPS and suggested club info and only track total shots and putts.

My last want, would be to be able to customize what data is shown on the screen during a round, most notably over / under for the round. I would prefer to turn that OFF. I don't like knowing my total over / under right now, because I know it isnt pretty, and it just puts more pressure on me to play better and throw myself off. I'd just prefer to turn that off for now, if possible.

There are so many dang apps out there and its near impossible to test them all since you really need to be on the course to test them, so I just figured I would check here first!

Heard good things about FunGolf and we actually reviewed it on the homepage as well.

I used Golfshot Classic up until I got Arccos. I tried numerous apps over the years and liked it the best in regards to accuracy, ease of use and load on my iphone battery.

All last year I used Golfshot, but that's primarily because I started on Windows Phone and it was the best app for that OS. I've since moved to an iPhone6, and have tried Golfshot, GolfLogix, and Swing by Swing.... and have decided to go with Swing by Swing for this year, and bought the premium version for this year (which just gives added stats). I found the interface and GPS to be superior to either of the other two offerings. Very simple and clean to use. And to your 2nd ask, customizing what's on the screen, you can pretty much customize anything you want as far as what shows up on the main screen.

Used GolfLogix for two years and it was ok. Using GolfShot now and I love it.

dont really use one anymore but was using golflogix and last year golfshot, my brother uses golfshot everytime he plays.

Heard good things about FunGolf and we actually reviewed it on the homepage as well.

+1 to this. Got it while it was free and it is what I have found easiest for me. Had golflogix and just didn't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Swing By Swing might be USGA noncompliant depending on how it tracks wind speed and elevation. The USGA site seems to defer a lot to Local Rules on this, but my read on it is that if it's somehow getting real time intel to measure effective distance (wind, temperature, and elevation) that may be a no-no. Worth at least considering if you're going to use it in some kind of sanctioned event. If it's compliant though, I like the looks of it and I am a Golfshot guy for my scorecard/GPS (I tend to go to my rangefinder on course instead of GPS).

I use the free version of Swing by Swing. I just look for distance to center and use it to keep score.

I think Swing By Swing might be USGA noncompliant depending on how it tracks wind speed and elevation. The USGA site seems to defer a lot to Local Rules on this, but my read on it is that if it's somehow getting real time intel to measure effective distance (wind, temperature, and elevation) that may be a no-no. Worth at least considering if you're going to use it in some kind of sanctioned event. If it's compliant though, I like the looks of it and I am a Golfshot guy for my scorecard/GPS (I tend to go to my rangefinder on course instead of GPS).

you can turn off wind and elevation if needed for tournament play

I used Swing by Swing for my first rounds the other day. Worked great, super easy to use, and distances were accurate (used my range finder to double check). I also have it on my lap top and it sync'd up without issue. Pretty slick for a freebie.

Back