Shorts On Tour

• Absolutely, it's hot

Votes: 92 50.0%
  • No way

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Who cares what they wear

Votes: 66 35.9%

• Total voters
I would vote to allow them. I simply see no harm in professional golfers wearing shorts whether that's a lady or man.

I'm sure some will disagree based on tradition so I guess it all kind of goes back to how you view the game of golf.

pretty much this...

Let 'em where shorts...just not salmon colored. That color upsets the PGA Tour.

I think they should absolutely be allowed to wear shorts. I think it's a stuffy rule to force them to wear pants, but that's just me. :shrug:

I would be perfectly ok with any pro wearing shorts.

While shorts I feel are no big deal, but for pros and perhaps caddies alike, it's important to display some sort of uniformed dress code. I feel like shorts is the gate way to flip flops and loose tee shirt.
Yes, because as we all know, shorts are the gateway to slobby attire.

Do you not think they play in shorts EVERY other time they are on the course except in tournament play? Just about every one of these guys plays in shorts.

Is it something to do with while they're "working"? An instructor at a course told me that while he was on the clock as a pro, either at his club or playing a tournament, he had to wear pants.

Euro Tour players might not necessary agree with how you define a respectable length. I think that has something to do with how it all works out. Once you say shorts are alright, how do you define too short or too long? Are capris acceptable?

I'm honestly not too sure how many guys wear capris, so I don't know if that would be a common problem. As far as respectable length, I would think that the common length for golf shorts has them ending right around the knee. So I think if you were too far below or above the knee, it would be unacceptable.

I voted no. This is their office and they should dress like it. I know there is going to be some that see it differently but that's how I feel. I know there is the conversation about the LPGA but don't you think a lawyer in court is thinking the same thing? He's sitting there in a suit and coat while his female partner is sitting there is a skirt with no sleeves when the judge likes a hot court room. Just saying would you think it would be ok for someone in this situation to wear shorts? Also, it's not like the pants these days are anything like they were back when you had to wear cotton!

Id be curious to see how many if given the option would pick pants over shorts.

I mean they cant all by crazy like Castor and Maynard right?

Golfers are individual players. Unless they're playing in the Ryder Cup or such team event, they can wear any color they want. These guys make millions, they chose to be pro golfers, they should wear the appropiate pants for the pro game...Long pants. Just my opinion.

Is it something to do with while they're "working"? An instructor at a course told me that while he was on the clock as a pro, either at his club or playing a tournament, he had to wear pants.

I get its in the rules now, that is kind of the question. If you could change the rules, would you.

Id be curious to see how many if given the option would pick pants over shorts.

I mean they cant all by crazy like Castor and Maynard right?

I remember that Maynard guy. Nice guy and crazy to wear pants.

Sorry, I think the Pros should wear pants. I get that its hot, but I think it maintains a bit of professionalism that I appreciate.

Maybe we should institute a pants only policy for major THP Events.
Yeah we wont do that because its crazy to wear pants in hot weather. :alien:

Sorry, I think the Pros should wear pants. I get that its hot, but I think it maintains a bit of professionalism that I appreciate.

Just curious, but do you consider the women on the LPGA unprofessional because they wear shorts/skorts?

Can we give out mulligans and gimme putts. Keep the weekend warriors and pros close to each other

I get to play in a buy.com event pro-am nearly every year. It is usually in the middle of August when we have our worst weather (90s with humidity). Every year I ask the pro about shorts, and every one of them thinks they should. One of the older guys once mentioned that 20 years ago with the shorter shorts, it wouldn't have been a good look, but now they come to knee length and look just like the pants only shorter. He said it was stupid that they couldn't wear short.

Can we give out mulligans and gimme putts. Keep the weekend warriors and pros close to each other

How does wearing pants mean the ettiquete and rules of the game change?
And FWIW, they make us use the same equipment.

Let their legs see the light of day! Obviously would need to be some restrictions, but with some of the outfits they sport now, why not?

I like to wear pants when I play, but when it is hot, I wear shorts. Part of me likes that they wear pants as it is a bit classier, but at the same time, what is classier: a nice pair of tailored black shorts or a pair of purple pants with octopi all over them?

The fashions have changed so much that I really could care less either way.

People didn't wear baseball hats when they used to play either. Now nearly ever single one of them has a baseball style hat on, so why not shorts? Also, weren't the rules of golf made at a time when men never wore shorts in public? Obviously that's changed, and I don't believe there is a single Country Club that will kick you out for wearing shorts and a golf polo. So clearly it's acceptable golf attire now.

I was all for it, but the mental image of the euros over here in their capris give me pause.

I'm not sure I could handle Stenson's slow play in his favorite manpris.

I'm all for it. Just makes sense to me.

The "Gentlemen's" game thing when it comes to apparel cracks me up, why aren't they still wearing ties then?

I think a lot of them would choose to remain in slacks, but I am not opposed to them wearing shorts.

Also, if this is acceptable, then why not shorts?

john-daly1.jpg

They should be able to wear shorts - wearing long pants in 90+F is absolutely painful. If the gals can do it, the guys should be able to as well.

Back