Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

would you say the pros are a similar blade size to ping i25s. I have the berthas and the i25s and the chunkiness of the berthas is putting me off a bit and I may try the pros as I can hit my i25s fine
I would say that the XR Pros are just slightly more compact than the I25s, but I haven't put them side by side. I also think the i25s have a slightly wider sole.

50b624a2c5dfc4fc1dac07130accb0ce.jpg

321481a2748c7615d74cb85d0cb0b24d.jpg

513d35a2574eb78d9ec710c86f9ef6fe.jpg

oh heck yes. These were the irons that were the ones that interested me most at the show. I feel like I need to get out and hit them this weekend.

Great thread. I just had my Srixon Z745 reshafted with the Recoil 110 F4's and while I was waiting to pick them up I hit the XR PRO 7 iron demo on Trackman. I was shocked at the results and decided to hit my 745 7 iron up against the XR Pro. My spin was very similar, launch was a little higher but the distance and dispersion was better with the XR Pro's and I mean a lot better. I carry my 745 7 iron around 162 yards and was carrying the XR Pro 7 iron around 175 yards. I'm 50 and compete in some senior tournaments and the extra yardage is well game changing to say the least. Some might say the XR Pro 7 iron is really a 6 iron but for me I have more confidence hitting a 7 iron (no matter the loft) then a 6 iron. The feel was an added bonus. I have always played forged clubs and the feel of the cast XR Pro was nice. Not to hard with a slight ping sound, not harsh not butter soft but nice feeling none the less. I also just switched to the Chrome Soft which helps the feeling even more.

I'm really contemplating picking up a set and see how they play. If I can pick up one club longer that is a big difference in confidence coming into greens. I play four wedges (PW, GW, SW, LW) so I don't feel there will be any gap difficulties at all.

Also, for giggles I compared the XR Pro 7 iron to the Titleist AP2 7 iron and the Taylormade RSi TP 7 iron and the XR Pro had better dispersion (shocked me) and it was on average 9 yards longer via Trackman. Similar spin and launch angles. The big kicker was the numbers on mis hits which were not even close. The XR Pro's were a good club and a half longer with excellent dispersion.

I am very impressed with this (Players/GI iron).

Did you hit the XR Pro with the stock KBS shaft or Recoil?

oh heck yes. These were the irons that were the ones that interested me most at the show. I feel like I need to get out and hit them this weekend.

I think your going to love them

Hit these at lunch today and was very impressed with these. They felt really good and hit them quite well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hit the XR Pro with the stock KBS shaft or Recoil?

I hit them with the stock KBS shaft which I hate. KBS that is so I believe my numbers with the Recoils will be better.

I hit these again today against my Srixon Z745. They are nice and definitely more forgiven on my typical miss which is a slight toe or thin shot. I lost on average around 7 to 8 yards between the Z745 and the XR Pros.

I also have have the off set numbers which are:

5 iron: .135
6 iron: .120
7 iron: .110
8 iron: .100
9 iron: .095
PW: .090
GW: .085

I received these directly from Callaway today.

I'm sorry I didn't get the 3 and 4 iron off set. I only play 5-PW.

Looks like I'll have to wait till Tuesday for my order to arrive from Callaway. Can't play anyway with the snow but I want to get them in hand bad!

They remind me of the Nike slingshot. But these look better... Scarier.

Went and spent some time with these today at Golf Galaxy. I really liked them. Other than a straight block for my first swing, I did nothing but find the center of the face with the 7i, and the dispersion on the 10 shots or so I took just made me laugh. I really, really like the Tour V 90 shaft that's paired with these - and I'm someone who prefers a bit heavier shaft. I didn't have my clubs there, nor did they have the 545 in stock, but I've hit a lot of clubs on the monitor there - these were up there with the longest I've hit, but I'd say up there with some of the longer clubs I've hit there.

They remind me of the Nike slingshot. But these look better... Scarier.

They're definitely a good deal smaller than the slingshots.

Well I was all ready to buy a set of RSi 2 irons until I read these 20 pages. Now I have to go hit these before the final decision. Anyone hit both that can do a short comparison?

Well I was all ready to buy a set of RSi 2 irons until I read these 20 pages. Now I have to go hit these before the final decision. Anyone hit both that can do a short comparison?

Very, very similar to me. It's going to be a matter of preference. Because I've really liked previous entries in this line, I'd lean XR, but definitely hit them both.

Very, very similar to me. It's going to be a matter of preference. Because I've really liked previous entries in this line, I'd lean XR, but definitely hit them both.
Agreed very similar. Depends on which you prefer. I went with Callaway XR but the TM were very nice also.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

XR pros felt better, are more forgiving and are longer than the RSi 2 in the demo 7i. I personally didn't find the face slots to help all that much and since they aren't on all the clubs the short irons really don't offer anything. I'm expecting the XR pros to be forgiving from 6i to AW for me.

XR pros felt better, are more forgiving and are longer than the RSi 2 in the demo 7i. I personally didn't find the face slots to help all that much and since they aren't on all the clubs the short irons really don't offer anything. I'm expecting the XR pros to be forgiving from 6i to AW for me.
Good to know. Only tried the 7i demo at golfsmith

Very sharp looking clubs. Look forward to hearing about this.

Very similar clubs for sure. RSi2's seem a bit more compact, no idea if they really are or not, but they come off that way to me. I really think the RSi2's and XR Pros are almost identical irons. Ton of R&D and tech in both, similar finishes, similar sound at impact, similar look at address, and I get nearly the same distance with both. Personally I got maybe a tad bit more with the RSi2, but not much. Really it does just come down to preference. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I just placed my order for the XR Pro's 5 iron - AW with the Recoil 110 F4 stiff shafts. I'm really impressed with these irons. The main reason for me is the distance on miss hits especially toward the toe and thin shots which are my two typical misses during play. Those misses on trackman only cost me around 4-5 yards in lost distance vs. my Srixon Z745's which cost me around 10-12 yards. To me that is getting around 18-22 ft. closer to the pin on a miss hit which is big. Plus I just love the way the feel and set up.

I just placed my order for the XR Pro's 5 iron - AW with the Recoil 110 F4 stiff shafts. I'm really impressed with these irons. The main reason for me is the distance on miss hits especially toward the toe and thin shots which are my two typical misses during play. Those misses on trackman only cost me around 4-5 yards in lost distance vs. my Srixon Z745's which cost me around 10-12 yards. To me that is getting around 18-22 ft. closer to the pin on a miss hit which is big. Plus I just love the way the feel and set up.
I'm waiting on the XR Pro 4-AW Recoil 460 F4 Stiff. Sexier than the Big Bertha Irons. More forgiving and longer than the X2 HOT Speedstep 85 Stiff steel. Both of which I owned recently.

I stuck with the Recoil 460 F4 Stiff graphite shafts that I had on the Big Bertha Irons. They felt just like a Steel shaft without the jilt and vibration on impact that was killing my elbows.

Would have liked to compare them to the Recoil 95/110 but there weren't any for demo at the store.

Did you try the 460 or any other Recoil Graphite Shafts and compared them with the 110 you purchased?

I went to my local golf smith today and met the callaway rep and gave these a session against my speedblades and the results were astonishing. The KBS tours work very well for me and I was inspired by the smaller head size of these. Needless to say I walked out with a callaway box and was super happy. I was slightly longer with the xr's were showing great dispersion for me so I pulled the trigger. I can't wait to get on the course with these.

I went to my local golf smith today and met the callaway rep and gave these a session against my speedblades and the results were astonishing. The KBS tours work very well for me and I was inspired by the smaller head size of these. Needless to say I walked out with a callaway box and was super happy. I was slightly longer with the xr's were showing great dispersion for me so I pulled the trigger. I can't wait to get on the course with these.

Yea, these XR pro's will leave the speedblades in the dust IMO. Not surprised by your results at all. Enjoy, and good luck with them!

Definitely impressed by these today even with limited swings. Nice weight and I hit them with the ProjectX graphite and steel shafts. Nice ball flight.

Definitely impressed by these today even with limited swings. Nice weight and I hit them with the ProjectX graphite and steel shafts. Nice ball flight.

Where did you hit these at?

Back