Lesson today...what I'm working on

mycle

Reaction score
Handicap
Reading this forum prompted me to schedule a lesson. That along with making zero progress in my game over the last season.

Looking at my swing for the first time on video, I thought I looked like TW til I started the downswing move. While it wasn't hideous, there was an ugly OTT and the thru swing looked like 2 chicken wings. Almost zero hip turn through the ball. I can make good contact sometimes but have problems with push, pull, slice and hook. And not on command!

I like my instructor very much (Matt Swanson's Golf Center Houston TX, Joel Gann) and he taught me 3 drills to begin working through these issues. He also improved my take away the way I have seen Freddie explain in this very forum. Take the club away while keeping the face pointed at the ball keeping the right arm on top of the left (rt handed player) and bringing the club up while it "weighs the least" if that makes sense. More behind my head instead of flattening out.

Drill 1. Hold a club from the wrong end and swing trying to make the whoosh sound occur past the ball.

2. Take a back swing then lower the club face down onto a bucket placed 45* behind and 3' from my left heel.

3.Stand near a wall to my back and back swing then bring the club down rubbing lightly against the wall.

Ultimately, he says I am opening the face going back and having to close it precisely when it contacts the ball. Not good. Swing plane isn't one. Too flat at top. No hips. I can still hit 7I 150-160 but only about 33% of the time. Wish me luck!

I'm curious about the wall and the bucket drills. Are those to create the feeling of coming from the inside vs. your OTT move?

I'm curious about the wall and the bucket drills. Are those to create the feeling of coming from the inside vs. your OTT move?

Yes. for those drills he also told me to hold the shoulders at the top. I'm guessing after I work on those drills we'll work on starting from the feet to bring the club back on plane.

Good stuff and welcome to THP.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the bucket drill.

Good stuff and welcome to THP.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the bucket drill.

Thanks tequila. 5 gal bucket upside down placed behind and to the right of your right foot 45* off the line of your stance and about 3' from your foot. If this image comes thru, just imagine yourself in my shoes there and you just from the top drop the closed club face on the what should be a 5 gal bucket turned upside down, holding you shoulders at the top position.

20161205_195941_resized.jpg

That looks super interesting. How was it?

Felt weird since my swing sucks haha. All sorts of adjustments can be made by the pro. The most unusual feeling was on the downswing the lag it created was incredible. And then the follow move. Not sure I can duplicate either one. Have 5 more lessons and the pro promised more time on it.

Lesson today...what I'm working on

Weird. Wrong thread. Silly tapatalk. Carry on....

When I'm budget ready, that's where I'm going. Swanson's SOG is near my wife's office. He and his his staff are top notch. Oh, and my last name is Swanson too, wonder if he'll cut me a deal. Lol jk.

Reading this forum prompted me to schedule a lesson. That along with making zero progress in my game over the last season.

Looking at my swing for the first time on video, I thought I looked like TW til I started the downswing move. While it wasn't hideous, there was an ugly OTT and the thru swing looked like 2 chicken wings. Almost zero hip turn through the ball. I can make good contact sometimes but have problems with push, pull, slice and hook. And not on command!

I like my instructor very much (Matt Swanson's Golf Center Houston TX, Joel Gann) and he taught me 3 drills to begin working through these issues. He also improved my take away the way I have seen Freddie explain in this very forum. Take the club away while keeping the face pointed at the ball keeping the right arm on top of the left (rt handed player) and bringing the club up while it "weighs the least" if that makes sense. More behind my head instead of flattening out.

Drill 1. Hold a club from the wrong end and swing trying to make the whoosh sound occur past the ball.

2. Take a back swing then lower the club face down onto a bucket placed 45* behind and 3' from my left heel.

3.Stand near a wall to my back and back swing then bring the club down rubbing lightly against the wall.

Ultimately, he says I am opening the face going back and having to close it precisely when it contacts the ball. Not good. Swing plane isn't one. Too flat at top. No hips. I can still hit 7I 150-160 but only about 33% of the time. Wish me luck!
Fanning the blade open is my bugaboo too! Good luck on your journey welcome to THP!

i will give your drill 3 a try this morning during my workout. all of them seem handy

as an aside, I think the reason such drills are frequently needed in those like myself who have played for years because my underlying grip was never proper. I used to think the grip was just about where the V's on the hands aligned; it is not. It is that plus how the club fits in the fingers, the relative pressure of the lead hand vs trail hand. The old classic books by Tommy Armour and Hogan talk this subject deeply. The more I'm able to internalize the grip points they make and implement the easier the swing gets with not as much thought on my part.

Back