Bridgestone J15 Driving Forged Irons

Great comparisons Adam.

Great comparison pictures - so these seem closer in line with the 850 Forged it appears. That is good to know and look forward to your thoughts.

3-6 business days till I post my first thoughts. I'm so excited!

Great comparison pictures - so these seem closer in line with the 850 Forged it appears. That is good to know and look forward to your thoughts.

They're a bit of a blend of the mp15 and 850F to me. Thinning top line like he mp15s and a wider sole like the 850F.

I was chipping with the PW last night and there's a different feel for sure. The ball definitely jumps off the face, even on chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will have more complete thoughts on these after tomorrow after a fail today. But my goodness, impressive.

Will have more complete thoughts on these after tomorrow after a fail today. But my goodness, impressive.

these were the irons of choice today?

these were the irons of choice today?
Well, considering we only played 3 rain soaked holes and a 1/4 range session, yes. But tomorrow, it's game on and I'm expecting big things after what I got a glimpse of today.

Well, considering we only played 3 rain soaked holes and a 1/4 range session, yes. But tomorrow, it's game on and I'm expecting big things after what I got a glimpse of today.

very nice. Hope that weather holds out for the weekend.

Told you, you would like them. :clap: Looking forward to a review after a more comprehensive testing session.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I am on the edge of ordering these with Steelfiber 95, might even go reg. flex. just need to try them out again to make the final decision.

Guess I should join this. Sold my Srixon Z545 with recoils and bought a set of DFs, with DG Pro R300. Also bought the 50* wedge.... Can't wait to get them!

So I spent about 35 minutes hitting balls last night with these and the MP15s. I haven't picked up a club in swung in almost 3 weeks and was a bit rusty. However, I did start hitting the ball better towards the end. I'm heading up to my friend's place tomorrow to hit more balls. He's got a TrackMan system there, so I'll have tons of data to provide.

Some key takeaways from yesterday:
1) The sound at impact is much different than anything I've ever hit. I noticed there was something different when I hit them in Orlando, but being inside really amplified the noise. It's a noise very similar to how a well struck hybrid sounds. It's not solid, but not hollow.....just...I don't know....."tingy". What's weird is that the sound it makes is no way indicative of what I was feeling in my hands. It's not as solid as either of my Mizunos, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I honestly just think that it's much much different than what I've had in the bag the last two years. Everything has pretty much been a solid cast or forged club and not a two piece with a small pocket between the face and cavity.

2) Very forgiving across the entire face. I was hitting balls off the inside, the toe, low, and sometimes in the middle. I didn't see a huge drop in distance or direction on the misses. Shots low of the face still got up in the air, but had very little spin on them.

3) I didn't see "explosive" distance gains on any shots. I would say about a 5 yard average with each club I hit (5, 7, P) and my mis-hits carried about 8 yards farther than the MP15. Misses with the 850F went about the same distance but didn't stay on line as well. Also seemed like these were spinning a bit less than my Mizunos. It could have been not having a feel for them yet and my swings, though.

4) They are stunning to look at! The finish is perfect and looking down at the club at address it seems like a much more "player type" iron.

I'm not in love with them, but I don't dislike them. I definitely want to spend more time with them and gain a better feel for sure. The big thing for me was the forgiveness factor. Definitely more than the MP15s, but I'll have to see it work on the course before I'm sold on it.

Like I said, I'll have TrackMan numbers tomorrow to post.

Did any of you change out the stock yellow grips? If so, what did you change to?

Did any of you change out the stock yellow grips? If so, what did you change to?
I changed them immediately to my favorite. Lamkin crossline cord

I put green lamkins on mine. I have had a few guys swing mine and bought them right after. I can't wait to start my work outs next week.

Which green lamkins?

I put green lamkins on mine. I have had a few guys swing mine and bought them right after. I can't wait to start my work outs next week.

Had a lot of fun with these today. While it was cold and distances were a little short of what I am used to, it was on par with a couple pretty long hitters out there today. On the sweet spot, they do have a unique sound that certainly lets you know you flush one. And when you do, my gosh it is an awesome sight. Saw a pretty nice mid to high launch all day with plenty of playability from the many waste areas here in the Carolinas. Consensus was that they felt [surprisingly] good when others hit them too, and I agree. Suffice to say, I'm excited to see what I can do with these the rest of the weekend and see more of what they can do in some warmer temps.

So I spent a couple of hours on trackman with these and my mizunos on Saturday. My swing was awful and I never really got into a groove. I did get to a point where I was hitting consistently bad shot though. :alien:

What my friend, his instructor and I saw out of the j15DF irons was amazing. I was hitting my mp15 6i 165 (carry) with 18* of launch and an average of 1.34 smash. My misses were mostly on face weren't really consistent. By best was a 1.41 and only happened once. I started hitting the J15DF and my numbers immediately improved. The launch was the same, but my smash sky rocketed up to a 1.43 on average and my carry distance increased to 175. I was still missing all over the face, but my shots didn't suffer much more than 5 yards of distance loss....unless it was hit off the hosel :act-up: the feel across the face was very consistent. Misses on the toe side felt a little rougher, but nothing like the mizunos.

I did also hit the 5i vs the 850F 5i and the numbers were very similar. It was to the point where there was no significant change. The one thing of note was that J15DF did provide a little more feedback on misses.

My friend and his instructor both said that in shouldn't even think about putting the MP15s back in the bag again because my numbers were so much better with the J15DFs.

I'm starting to fall in love with these irons, and the numbers don't lie. Hopefully I'll be able to get these on the course this weekend and provide some more feedback to the community.

I'd also like to note that both sets of irons have the same recoil 110 shaft in them, at the same length. They also had the same loft and lie.

Had a lot of fun with these today. While it was cold and distances were a little short of what I am used to, it was on par with a couple pretty long hitters out there today. On the sweet spot, they do have a unique sound that certainly lets you know you flush one. And when you do, my gosh it is an awesome sight. Saw a pretty nice mid to high launch all day with plenty of playability from the many waste areas here in the Carolinas. Consensus was that they felt [surprisingly] good when others hit them too, and I agree. Suffice to say, I'm excited to see what I can do with these the rest of the weekend and see more of what they can do in some warmer temps.

any more updates tyler? Thanks for your updates adam!

great to see those results Adam. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to hit mine outside this week.

any more updates tyler? Thanks for your updates adam!
I didn't have a tremendous weekend striking the ball. Long irons were brilliant, everything that was 4, 5, or 6 iron I hit extremely well with good distance. However, 7 iron down was not so good for me. But that is more Indian than arrow as I saw real nice things Friday. When things turn around weather wise here I will have some more complete thoughts on some well struck golf balls.

Got out to hit these for 9 yesterday for the first round since January. First impression is that I love the way these set up. A bit smaller head than DPCs, but still big enough for me. The first few shots were really low on the face, and carried a little far, but still ended up only 5-10 yards over the green. The good shots felt wonderful (the few I hit) and the misses towards the toe were just a little shy of pin high, and only slightly off line. I think I might need a bit bigger grip, but overall I really like these irons. I'm getting out for 18 with them tomorrow and hope to get a better feel for them.

So I spent a couple of hours on trackman with these and my mizunos on Saturday. My swing was awful and I never really got into a groove. I did get to a point where I was hitting consistently bad shot though. :alien:

What my friend, his instructor and I saw out of the j15DF irons was amazing. I was hitting my mp15 6i 165 (carry) with 18* of launch and an average of 1.34 smash. My misses were mostly on face weren't really consistent. By best was a 1.41 and only happened once. I started hitting the J15DF and my numbers immediately improved. The launch was the same, but my smash sky rocketed up to a 1.43 on average and my carry distance increased to 175. I was still missing all over the face, but my shots didn't suffer much more than 5 yards of distance loss....unless it was hit off the hosel :act-up: the feel across the face was very consistent. Misses on the toe side felt a little rougher, but nothing like the mizunos.

I did also hit the 5i vs the 850F 5i and the numbers were very similar. It was to the point where there was no significant change. The one thing of note was that J15DF did provide a little more feedback on misses.

My friend and his instructor both said that in shouldn't even think about putting the MP15s back in the bag again because my numbers were so much better with the J15DFs.

I'm starting to fall in love with these irons, and the numbers don't lie. Hopefully I'll be able to get these on the course this weekend and provide some more feedback to the community.

I'd also like to note that both sets of irons have the same recoil 110 shaft in them, at the same length. They also had the same loft and lie.

I like how you go through the process. I'm itching to get back on the course.

Back