2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a little while since I checked in, it is also has been a long while since I have played golf, this winter has been horrible....looks like next weekend will be playable
Just finished up week 11 and the weight loss now stands at 30lbs, 20 more to go to my original goal but I have since upped that by 10 (165lbs is the new number)....gym is still 4-5 times a week, lifting and cardio. Eating healthy also remains a constant.....I keep it under 1500 calories a day with all good food choices...first wave of new clothes purchased (which are now a little too loose)

I was fitted for my irons (around my heaviest) which was "up 2" ...... Interested in seeing if that has changed due to my weight loss, just my guess but I'm thinking so......any thoughts?

Scott, looks good! I think you should figure out what your calorie needs are now that your body composition had changed. In my case, I needed to eat a bit more once I lost weight to keep the fat off and gain muscle.

Regarding your irons, maybe go to a big box and take some swings with standard irons?

My swing changed when I lost 30 lbs but my fitting didn't. The lie angle change was .5 degrees from my fitting 6 years ago when I was at my heaviest.

Scott, looks good! I think you should figure out what your calorie needs are now that your body composition had changed. In my case, I needed to eat a bit more once I lost weight to keep the fat off and gain muscle.

Regarding your irons, maybe go to a big box and take some swings with standard irons?

Interesting....not sure yet, I still have plenty of fat to go....currently at 195lbs at 5'7....I have yet to plateau....Im a constant 1.5-2.5lbs per week loss.
I should be hitting my irons next weekend lets see what happens :)

Much needed session of DDP Yoga today. I've been slacking and my body lets me know it. Helped the GF move into her new place yesterday and I was sore all over. This helped a ton.

Yeah, my lower back let me know it wasn't happy with me today at dragon boat practice. That full round yesterday left me tuckered out.

More good stuff from Art of Manliness about the press

More good stuff from Art of Manliness about the press

That's a solid YouTube channel. I've found some really good stuff there in the past.

It's good, I wish they would go into more detail about mechanics.

Watched the video a couple of times. I can't get over the big movement in the hip-drive (reverse-hip-drive).

Watched the video a couple of times. I can't get over the big movement in the hip-drive (reverse-hip-drive).
Yeah its definitely not a strict press. But it's not a push press either. The hip movement us there to maintain a vertical bar path. Without that hip drive, the bar would need to go up and then back. Instead, in Rips method, the bar goes straight up but the body moves under the bar.

60lbs is huge. Great job. I can only imagine the swing changes required from that losing that much weight. I lost 30 lbs while I couldn't play golf and had huge issues hitting the ball because I was used to hitting around my gut. I can only imagine losing double that. Keep up the good work!

Thanks... I played for the 1st time this year this past Saturday and I was all over the place. I could fell my arms were not used to so far inside. I can actually get club inside and have that inside out swing. but the muscle memory had my arms way out and I was over the top all day. Although I got in a groove for a stretch of 5 holes where I was in a groove and was pounding it 270-280 down the middle in 40 degree weather. i could really feel the increase the flexibility and range of motion.
Ended up shooting 102 (par 72)... and down another 1 1/2lbs last week... i couldn't be happier.

It took me about a month to figure out that I could get steeper with my swing and use less "around" without a gut in the way.

Yeah its definitely not a strict press. But it's not a push press either. The hip movement us there to maintain a vertical bar path. Without that hip drive, the bar would need to go up and then back. Instead, in Rips method, the bar goes straight up but the body moves under the bar.
My bar path is pretty vertical. I find that I move about the same at the top end, just no hip drive at the bottom. I'm more statically engaging my back.

My bar path is pretty vertical. I find that I move about the same at the top end, just no hip drive at the bottom. I'm more statically engaging my back.
The most important points of the video are the grip, the role of the scapula's, and the movements that cause impingement

Yeah. It is a big deal how much difference in weight the grip change can get you.

Hehe

5fad274e9951e379b1a8ce0f2f3d16e7.jpg

Volume squats. All sleeved and chalked
1x5 @ 45
1x5 @ 135#
1x3 @ 225#
1x2 @ 275# belted
1x1 @ 295# belted
5x5 @ 320# belted 5th set was heavy

Linear Progression Press, sleeves and chalk
1x5 @ 45#
1x5 @ 95#
1x3 @ 115#
1x2 @ 125#
1x1 @ 135# belted
1x5 @ 155# belted
2x5 @ 140# belted

Chins

Got in an early day today.

Deadlifts - 4,3,2,1
Pullups (8,8,7,7)
15:00 of kettlebell snatches, :15 on, :15 off

Good to be back, though I will be glad when this program is done.

Semiannual physical fitness test...60 pushups (got up rather than max out), 65 situps (same), and 15:16 2-mile run time. Not bad for an old man. So an 85/87/82, all out of 100. Need to get back in shape. Also tipped the scales at 166, which is on the cusp of overweight at 5'6" by Army standards. Too much pizza & beer.

More like too much iron trapped inside waiting to explode at the gym. :D

More like too much iron trapped inside waiting to explode at the gym. :D

Yeah, the evaluator who weighed me in was surprised I was that heavy. Told him it's all the squatting I do.

Yeah, the evaluator who weighed me in was surprised I was that heavy. Told him it's all the squatting I do.
I had the same thing when I was still in, except at 5'5" I didn't make weight and had to be taped every time. When I went to ANCOC, I walked in to be taped already shirtlesd and the instructors asked WTF I was doing in there.

Holy crap, I forgot how sweaty T25 made me. That workout is no joke, at least it's not for me at this stage of my physical fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back