Why arent more pros using counterbalanced putters?

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
So Ive recently made a switch and bought a new counter-balanced putter and I was thinking...I don't know Ive seen many, if any pros using this type of technology on tour. Can anyone attest to this? I think Matt Kuchar possibly uses CBT but if this is true, why don't pros, especially the ones who were using anchored putters pre-2016 use them? Is it not really that helpful?

Odyssey-Works-Side-View.jpg

Some do, but most do so with a simple backweight in the butt end while still playing at standard length and with a traditional grip. The added weight in that section moves the balance point up the shaft from the head while increasing the total weight and acting just like a counter balance design.

Some do, but most do so with a simple backweight in the butt end while still playing at standard length and with a traditional grip. The added weight in that section moves the balance point up the shaft from the head while increasing the total weight and acting just like a counter balance design.

This is exactly what I just did with my Elevado CB.

Personally I hate the length and grip options for cb putters. jman's idea seems solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of that. I don't even think commentators are aware of that either. I'm curious if spieth or sneds have the added weight you speak of...

I don't know why pros don't use it. All I know is that I use it and love it! That being said I've seen a few Tanks out on tour.

I wasn't aware of that. I don't even think commentators are aware of that either. I'm curious if spieth or sneds have the added weight you speak of...

Keegan Bradley and Adam Scott started using it after the ban on anchored putters. I think Keegan has moved on to the armlock last time I saw, but I believe those armlock putters are still CB type versions. If you watch for it though, there are a few more guys out there that utilize it. Sam Saunders is a guy who off the top of my head I know uses a CB version as well.

Keegan Bradley and Adam Scott started using it after the ban on anchored putters. I think Keegan has moved on to the armlock last time I saw, but I believe those armlock putters are still CB type versions. If you watch for it though, there are a few more guys out there that utilize it. Sam Saunders is a guy who off the top of my head I know uses a CB version as well.

I had a feeling about Scott and Keegan, but I know the latter has struggled MAJOR with his putting which has caused him to switch putters a lot lately.

Keegan should probably look back at this as an option instead of the Bryson grip set up and armlock he’s rocking now. +9 on the weekend at the API, yikes!

Back