Greg Norman Has Big Plans For Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
But nobody knows what they are right now.

Speaking to some members of the media from his new course unveiling in Mexico

"In the middle second quarter of next year, I'll invite you guys down to my office. We will tell you exactly how we're going to break this cast iron that's been wrapped around golf for so long. We're going to shatter it. The institutions (USGA, R&A, PGA of America, PGA Tour) will eventually buy into it because they will have to buy into it. They won't have a choice,".

Some have begun to guess that these rumors have something to do with Norman and his deal that he signed with Verizon a few months ago.

Strange. Very strange.

I am curious to hear his thoughts and I think this could be a very good thing if he gets the right people to back whatever play he has in mind.

Curious statement. Guess we'll have to wait until summer to hear more about his ideas.

If the shark is in the middle of it there is a business angle to it, but I'm definitely curious to see what "break the cast iron" means

Lofty claims. I'm interested in learning more.

Interesting.

Curious as to what he has up his sleeve.

Launching a professional tour for foot golf??? :D Just kidding...no idea what he's planning.

This is very interesting, but Greg Norman can be a pretty crazy dude sometimes so we'll see about what he means...

Sidenote, if I read this out of context, I would think Donald Trump said it with the way it's phrased lol

Sidenote, if I read this out of context, I would think Donald Trump said it with the way it's phrased lol

haha so true!

the whole thing is really weird.

Oh Greg Norman, you are a funny funny man. Interesting to see what he has up his sleeve though.

10/1 odds he bought Hack Golf from TaylorMade for a patent on shark fins on the crown of the M1 Special Edition.

I'm not sure what he talking about but maybe it will be interesting!

Just a bored rich guy, he still thinks people care what he is doing.

Judging from his instagram account, maybe it involves a Justin Thomas, Smylie Kaufman, Rickie Fowler & Jordan Spieth style shirtless golf tour.

This is interesting.

I remember a story from a few years ago that the whole World Golf Championships that we all know and love now were actually a Greg Norman idea but with a slightly different setup (I can't remember specifics) but he pitched the idea to PGA commish Tim Finchem and he basically poo poo'd it and then shortly after POOF, the WGC events were born. I would have to check my facts completely, but I know Norman has something to do with it. So maybe it's something similar to that? Who knows, but I think it sounds intriguing!

Make golf great, again.

Here...I found it. Interesting quote from an article published in Golf Digest.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/greg-norman-all-i-know-about-winning-golf-business-and-life

The abyss of my professional career was my run-in with PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem over the World Tour, my idea for an international series of tournaments. It was a beautiful plan and good for golf. I had the support of numerous marquee players, a lucrative TV contract in place, and most important, I had structured it so that the players owned it. I've always believed that if you help build equity in something, you should receive some of the spoils. Unfortunately, Finchem and the media ripped me to shreds. They said I was trying to ruin the game. It got so bad that a lot of PGA club pros who carried Greg Norman Collection [clothes] began canceling their contracts. I was devastated, but I was so sure of the World Tour's promise that I called each one of them to explain my side of the story, because I was never offered the chance to do so with the PGA Tour. It took weeks. I asked each one to hear me out and draw his own conclusions. Everyone kept their contract. My tour never got off the ground, yet three years later the PGA Tour launched the World Golf Championships. I guess they didn't like the fact that it wasn't their idea.

It's poor policy to slay the dreamer just because he or she came up with a better plan. It's so against how I do things. If you came to me with something great that I had never thought of, I'd say, "Are you okay, or do you want help? Should we joint-venture?" If the answer is "no," I'm still going to support you, because your idea is fantastic. It didn't happen that way with Finchem and, honestly, it's one of the reasons I don't do certain things in golf anymore. I haven't played in a PGA-sanctioned event in 18 months. I don't see a reason to support an entity that tried to destroy my dream.

This is interesting.

I remember a story from a few years ago that the whole World Golf Championships that we all know and love now were actually a Greg Norman idea but with a slightly different setup (I can't remember specifics) but he pitched the idea to PGA commish Tim Finchem and he basically poo poo'd it and then shortly after POOF, the WGC events were born. I would have to check my facts completely, but I know Norman has something to do with it. So maybe it's something similar to that? Who knows, but I think it sounds intriguing!

MD or golf central commented about this when discussing Finchems legacy as he exits. The mentioned the WGC and how successful it was how well liked (or something along those lines) and one commented chimes in with except Greg Norman

Interesting. It would be great to see something that shakes the golf community up and brings more attention to the sport.

He will retire from running his mouth and fade away?! One can only hope

49949707.jpg

Back