Fairfield Glade Course Reviews 1 of 4: Heatherhurst Golf Club

TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
Fairfield Glade, Tennnessee is a municipality of Crossville that is home to not one, two, or even three golf courses, it's home to five golf courses to serve 7,000 people roughly. Fairfield and Crossville itself are billed as "The Golf Capital of Tennessee" and it certainly deserves that moniker, as someone who golfs at these courses rather frequently, I feel it would be a disservice not to review them, so I'll start with my personal favorite, Heatherhurst Golf Club.

Heatherhurst has a quality unlike any other Fairfield course, it contains not one, but two golf courses on it's grounds. It was originally made up of three nine-hole courses (Mountain, Creek, and Pine) all voted by Golf Digest in their "Best Places to Play" category. The three were combined with a newer nine in the year 2000 to form the sister courses, The Crag and The Brae. But before I review the courses themselves, I need to review first the amenities and clubhouse:

Amenities- B+
he Clubhouse doesn't feature a locker room, but it has restrooms available to men and women, along with the covered ones out on the golf course. The Clubhouse itself is small and elegant, it features a deli and grill at the turn, which comes in handy in the often sweltering summers in the South. There is a beverage cart as well as vending machines, restrooms, and drinking fountains out on the courses, coupled with the occasional water cooler.

Price- B-
The value is certainly there, but the course is nearly private, it's kind of like Pinehurst, you often have to get a package to play here as a member of the general public. However, there is the odd deal thrown out there for the public to come out and play. Membership is determinant on your status with Fairfield Glade, a homeowner in Fairfield gets the Member rate, while renters and timeshare guests get the guest rate. Guest rates can be high, especially if you're unaccompanied (Rates are universal for Heathrhurst GC, Dorchester GC, and Druid Hills GC), as unaccompanied guest, you pay $59.00 for 18 holes of picturesque golf, $30 for 9. Accompanied by a member takes $3.00 off each price, $47 for eighteen, $27 for nine.

Practice Areas- A
The driving range at Heatherhurst is plenty big, and ball distribution is done through a machine with a code right on the range. The range itself is all grass, with multiple plateaus for allowing the turf to heal, the range balls are your run of the mill bright yellow Wilson Staff golf balls, and there's simulated flags at varying distances to create an authentic feel. The putting/chipping green at Heatherhurst is big, not Pinehurst big, but still big, it slopes up and down, allowing for authentic feel for the greens in both topographical nature and speed. There's also a fringe to help practice with fringe chipping and putting.

Course Layout/Condition- A+
Here's where the road diverges, the Crag course is flatter, not flat by any means, but flatter than her sister the Brae. The Crag is made up of the old Pine course, so there's plenty of prickly pine trees lining the fairways. Yours truly scores well on this course, as it's the easier of the two and very manageable, the tee boxes are always in great shape, offering four tee boxes. The tee boxes are Green (Seniors 85+, Juniors), Red (Ladies), Yellow (Seniors 75 and under), White (Average), and Blue (The Tips). The yardage markers at 100 and 200 yards are marked by Yucca bushes, which give a unique feel to the course, and often are much more visible, among with white stakes at 150 yards. Houses border the course, so yards are considered OB, bunkers are a mix of brown sand and white sand, fairways are manicured. and greens are dreams to putt on. The courses are scenic the tenth hole on The Brae is one of Fairfield's crown jewels. It is truly stunning., but beware, even the best golfers fear to tread The Brae, as many a ball has found itself lost on the Par 5 4th hole, dubbed the hardest par 5 in Tennessee, it's a double dog leg that will have people using whatever measures of luck they can muster to escape cleanly.

Pace of Play- A
Pace of play is never an issue, Rangers and Marshals patrol the course in peak season making sure everyone is acting right and playing the right way, I can't say enough about the quality job they do.

Overall- A
Heatherhurst is arguably my favorite course that I have ever played and there is a reason I keep coming back, the quality of golf is rivaled only by PGA Tour caliber courses.

Nice write-up. Seems like a good track and can't beat the rates. Good pace of play is always a plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only played the Bear Trace and Druid Hills in Crossville, so I'll have to give this one a try next time I'm up there.

I've only played the Bear Trace and Druid Hills in Crossville, so I'll have to give this one a try next time I'm up there.

Do it, you won't regret it for a second. Member rates are $30 for 18, $15 for 9, but then again you got buy a house or land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good write up.

Nice summary.

Headed down there in May this year as a friend has a timeshare there. Normally we play there in the fall, but will be trying out the earlier time this year and hopefully, the weather will be equally as nice
All the courses are enjoyable and offer different challenges. Stonehenge, Brae and the Bear Trace courses are some of our favorites. There is one course down there which I believe is called River Run, which could be a really nice and fun course if they would put some money in it. Layout is good, but maintenance leaves a lot to be desired.

Back