The Jordan Spieth Thread

If I had one complaint about Jordan's last round, and this is very very nit-picky of me, but he seemed way too calm and collected for the situation he was in. It's obviously a great thing for him, but I kinda wanted to see more fiery celebrations, especially when he was kinda putting the dagger in the field on 15. All we got was calm and cool tiny fist pumps.

Either way, the kid is a phenomenal player and a class act with what seems like everything he does. He says the right thing and does the right thing, and it makes it almost impossible not to like him.

i don't think he was lacking in fiery celebrations. there were several times he fist pumped or celebrated a good outcome. each person is different in how they handle situations and his calm and collected attitude is part of what Dr. Bob Rotella calls the process. He knew his process stayed with it and got the desired outcome.

i actually like his demeanor and attitude on the course. he talks to his ball like i do sometimes but with better outcomes for his than mine. imo he is a perfect example of what i have read in Dr. Bob's books.

I just don't get it. Here we all have witnessed the culmination of arguably 12-18 months worth of hard work by a young man who is only scraping the surface of what he can provide & folks are talking about his talking to the golf ball.

We were just treated to four days of superior golf by a guy who did it the "old fashioned way" & picked apart Augusta. That is HUGE in my opinion.

As far as him not being excited enough or charismatic enough to excite people, let's just appreciate who he is instead of trying to make him the next "guy". The tour is stocked with top talent that we dont need one guy right now to carry the torch. This week it's Jordan, next week it could be someone else. I'm just going to enjoy the heck out of this major and appreciate this dude for what he just accomplished.

Could not agree more mikeg... A heck of a showing over the weekend by a true class act. If more kids follow him growing up and use him as an example, the world... Not just the game of golf, will be a better place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jordan Spieth Thread

Spieth seems like the all American kid people love to get behind. Let's hope we dont end up reading about a dead hooker in his trunk or something.

Ha!! A buddy and I were talking about this exact thing this morning. Well maybe not a dead hooker :) but along the same lines.

He was saying, "I really want to say, this is the guy Id like my daughter to marry. But I think I'll wait to make sure ..........."(I'm hesitant to put into print what hex really said)

But our general thought was we've been surprised before by skeletons in the closet

That said, we both agreed, he seems like the real deal.

He is from Texas after all.

i don't think he was lacking in fiery celebrations. there were several times he fist pumped or celebrated a good outcome. each person is different in how they handle situations and his calm and collected attitude is part of what Dr. Bob Rotella calls the process. He knew his process stayed with it and got the desired outcome.

i actually like his demeanor and attitude on the course. he talks to his ball like i do sometimes but with better outcomes for his than mine. imo he is a perfect example of what i have read in Dr. Bob's books.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. In my opinion, he showed a lot more emotion/fiery celebrations during the final rounds of his other wins than he did for his last round at this years Masters. It caught me off-guard that he didn't seem as excited/pumped for the big shots he was hitting in the final round yesterday compared to his other wins. I know he was really excited and pumped up, he was just controlling/hiding it very well yesterday.

What he was doing was obviously working for him, and it wasn't like I was mad or upset with him, it's just something that I noticed while watching yesterday.

I've got zero problems with talking to his ball, seems like every golfer I've ever played with does this, whether they know they are doing it or not.

I marvel at anyone that has anything bad to say about the kid. At this point he has held himself as a complete gentleman on the course. I just don't get it, how about we celebrate with him and hope others follow his lead.

It was reported by one of the commentators on TGC, that when he embraced his family coming off the 18th green, Jordan's father was overheard as saying (something to the effect) "Now you go over and thank all those that came here to support you". Such is telling to me, regarding the ethics instilled in Jordan and clearly family is important to Jordan. That is father and his family is his moral compass. It leads me to think that he has been well grounded. But I thought the same about Tiger in the early days of his career. I can remember his emotional greeting with his father after winning his first Masters. When his father died, I think Tiger lost his moral compass and became too influenced by his super star status as well as other super stars that negatively influenced him. If Jordan's career evolves as anticipated, I trust the same will not happen to him, that he will remain grounded.

I marvel at anyone that has anything bad to say about the kid. At this point he has held himself as a complete gentleman on the course. I just don't get it, how about we celebrate with him and hope others follow his lead.

People like or dislike people for lots of reasons. What is a good reason for some, might be a bad reason to others. Its what makes sports interesting. People root for really bad guys at times, and validate that by play, and root against good guys, and validate that with other things. Sports are great because it allows the freedom to do that very thing.

I will give you an example. Most people in and around NY literally LOVE Derek Jeter. He can do no wrong, always says the right thing and his work backs it up. People in the Tampa area, literally cant stand the guy. He is a completely different person. How can two fans have different view points of the exact same person? Because sports are great.

This is kind of a stupid thing, but I personally love the fact that he doesn't hit it 500 yards off the tee and use muscle back 3 irons like some of these guys do. He is a solid 2 clubs longer than me, to be sure, but he out thinks the course rather than overpowers it, and that's much more relatable to mere mortals like us who don't take PW from 160. And he also embraces forgiveness - cavity back irons throughout, and he's using the 915D2/F rather than the D3/F-d like most of the pros do. Hell, he's probably one of a short list of pros whose clubs I could actually have a shot of controlling!

I understand the Jeter statement. But based on what we have seen of Jordan he stands for what we want in a golfer. He is humble, plays stellar golf, family guy, cares about others, doesn't toss club in the pond, kick them or curse while on camera. Trying to find something to be unhappy about with someone just for the sake of being different doesn't make sense to me.

Like him or don't like him, but making stuff up to not like him just doesn't compute. But that's me, I know its sports and its what annoys me about sports fans.
People like or dislike people for lots of reasons. What is a good reason for some, might be a bad reason to others. Its what makes sports interesting. People root for really bad guys at times, and validate that by play, and root against good guys, and validate that with other things. Sports are great because it allows the freedom to do that very thing.

I will give you an example. Most people in and around NY literally LOVE Derek Jeter. He can do no wrong, always says the right thing and his work backs it up. People in the Tampa area, literally cant stand the guy. He is a completely different person. How can two fans have different view points of the exact same person? Because sports are great.

Jordan is a joy to watch. He is NOT the typical latest version of "muscled power golf". He has a golf SWING. I loved his ability around the greens, and scrambling. I believe he IS the real deal.

Who is saying anything bad? It was just surprising to me that there wasn't more emotion/excitement during his final round based on his final rounds during his previous wins, especially from some of the great shots he hit yesterday. I don't see how that's talking bad about him.

Ah well, I'm just going to leave it at that.

Good idea
Who is saying anything bad? It was just surprising to me that there wasn't more emotion/excitement during his final round based on his final rounds during his previous wins, especially from some of the great shots he hit yesterday. I don't see how that's talking bad about him.

Ah well, I'm just going to leave it at that.

I understand the Jeter statement. But based on what we have seen of Jordan he stands for what we want in a golfer. He is humble, plays stellar golf, family guy, cares about others, doesn't toss club in the pond, kick them or curse while on camera. Trying to find something to be unhappy about with someone just for the sake of being different doesn't make sense to me.

Like him or don't like him, but making stuff up to not like him just doesn't compute. But that's me, I know its sports and its what annoys me about sports fans.

FWIW, I have not seen anything really like that, but sports are sports.
Maybe they hate Texas. Maybe they don't like his sponsor. Maybe they think he is too fast or too slow. I mean I guess I am just not sure I understand why people care if people love or hate a guy.

Fans will almost always choose a side. FWIW, you could say the exact same thing about Phil Mickelson, and he is literally hated by so many. Nice guys get called fake, and guys that act like a**holes get a pass as "intense". Its part of sports that make it fun.

Either way, the kid is a phenomenal player and a class act with what seems like everything he does. He says the right thing and does the right thing, and it makes it almost impossible not to like him.

Yeah I really hate the kid...I just made a simple observation and people are taking as me attacking him and talking bad about him.

For those that are trying to find negatives or think this kid doesnt have a future, may I reference the following video regarding Jordan and his sister Ellie. Show me another 21 year old, regardless of fame or not that is as grounded as this kid

https://youtu.be/TcKDAfsbQXM

That putting stroke. Where can that be purchased, and can it be financed?

Ditto Freddie.

And what an amazing story about he and his caddie as well, from teacher to masters champ caddie in a very short time, hope that combo stays together for a while!

That putting stroke. Where can that be purchased, and can it be financed?

It would certainly pay itself off in a couple weeks. So many clutch putts made the past few months.

His post round interview was fantastic, it's pretty easy to see how genuine of a person he is and how grateful he is to be in the position to help others. A true champion, I hope he doesn't change and stays true to his roots.

For those that are trying to find negatives or think this kid doesnt have a future, may I reference the following video regarding Jordan and his sister Ellie. Show me another 21 year old, regardless of fame or not that is as grounded as this kid

https://youtu.be/TcKDAfsbQXM

hell f-ing yes. the whole ellie angle makes me go from really liking spieth to vaulting him to top 3 favorite golfers on tour. as a parent, and not to get too personal but having a son with minor special needs, i have so much respect for people who live with this. i don't get emotional about much, but anything to do with kids just rips me in two.

You're kind of taking this to heart. My statement was not directed solely at you. But you did say you were nitpicking at him. I just dont get that but thats me. I don't look for flaws in folks.
Yeah I really hate the kid...I just made a simple observation and people are taking as me attacking him and talking bad about him.

He has shown he can win one major. That alone is a helluva feat. Regardless of what he does over the next 30+ years, we are all awfully lucky to have gotten to watch this past weekend.

Agree, watching this Masters was great! I'll be surprised if he doesn't win more majors. For one thing, he sure plays well at Augusta. But time will tell.

I have nothing negative to say about JS, wonderful family values it seems and he can obviously play the game very well.

I will say, though, that we've seen many young phenoms with great looking games follow up big wins and hype with....not much. I'm of the opinion we give him a little time before annointing him as the future of golf. That said, if he wins 3 or 4 more this year and a major or 2 in the bunch, I'll be more inclined to jump on the bandwagon.

Recently hyped major winners who have done not much else:
K Bradley
C Schwartzel
J Dufner had a brief hot streak and garnered a lot of hype

And of course in the non major winner category we have R Fowler and a dozen others.

Back