Golf Etiquette - part 3 - Cell Phones

Always with me on the course, never on ring. I use it as a scorecard sometimes and if I'm stuck waiting on the group ahead of me, why is it such a bad thing that I have it out checking stuff if I'm just going to be standing there anyway? it's never distracted anyone or held up anything. Usually I just leave it in the cupholder of the cart or in my bag.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that ringer off is super important.

I keep my phone on vibrate. I use it for the GolfShot app, but I can count on one hand the number of conversations I've had on the course.

The one exception is when my kids are at home alone. They're old enough, but when that's the case, I turn the ringer on so I don't have the chance of missing their call. I tell my group the situation upfront and apologize in advance should my phone ring, but every group has always understood the situation and not had a problem with it.

As for work, some people have to be reachable. My boss is the person our executive leaders call when bad things go down. As we work for a company of 60,000, there's no way he's turning his phone off. He'd never get to play golf except on an official vacation day otherwise. And as for, "why doesn't he just play on the weekends?" He travels so much that he tries really hard to not play on the weekends so he can be with his family.

I absolutely agree that a cell phone user should take every step possible to ensure their cell phone usage will not bother others. We all have experienced the sales guy who takes 4 different sales calls during the round and stands there talking (loudly) when it's his turn to play. If work is going to interfere that much or something truly urgent comes up, drop out and stay in the cart.

I have a smartphone and will use it to check texts and e-mails. The only time I had to use it to talk was when I got a message from AMEX to contact them immediately about some charge they suspected was fraudulent. Turns out someone had charged $1300 to pre-pay a hotel in Phoenix on my wife's AMEX card.
I called them while on course as it was urgent (I picked up my ball so as to not slow play). What irritated me was how the agent took FOREVER to get the call done. I understand they have procedures but I explained where I was, etc. and could I just tell them it was fraudulent and whatever follow-up info could be given to them when I finished my round? I missed two holes because of that.

I have to have my phone on, but it is always on vibrate. If I get a call that I have to take, I will walk away from the group and try to get my business done quickly. If I have to pick up and take an 8 on a hole or whatever the max is so be it, I don't want to disturb everybody else's game.

I will check my email, but try to limit that to only after walking off the green on the way to the next hole.

Most of it is just common courtesy, but sadly like common sense it isn't all that common anymore.

My phone is on vibrate and always on. I have a business that's running while I'm playing, I've got 3 little kids at home. I envy people who can shut off their phone and play a round without a care in the world.....but I'm not that guy.

I have my phone with me and with the magnet attached to the back it sticks to the cart. It's always on either vibrate or silent and check it from time to time. I use a GPS app for distance on some courses that don't have GPS carts.

My phone is with me in my pocket, on and set to vibrate.

99% of the time I'm only getting a call from the wife and kids and if that happens while I'm playing it's a call I need to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate cell phones on the course but my work ties my hands. I always let my party know ahead of time if I need to be answering it. I am RN and I manage all patients on Coumadin a blood thinning med. So I have to answer no options. If anyone in the golf party has a problem with it I ask them and prepare them before we play. I keep it on vibrate in my pocket and I tell the group if I am on it just play through. Obviously it loses me a lot of money if we have bets on that hole but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I know it's annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when do you sleep?

My phone is on vibrate and always on. I have a business that's running while I'm playing, I've got 3 little kids at home. I envy people who can shut off their phone and play a round without a care in the world.....but I'm not that guy.

And, when do you sleep?

Wow, I had no idea that so many people had to be connected 24-7, do not envy that. I on the other hand do use my phone for GPS (SonoCaddie) while on the course but the ringer is never on. I don't accept calls or read texts while I'm playing and my family and friends know this.

Wow, I had no idea that so many people had to be connected 24-7, do not envy that. I on the other hand do use my phone for GPS (SonoCaddie) while on the course but the ringer is never on. I don't accept calls or read texts while I'm playing and my family and friends know this.

When my wife is home alone with our two young boys, there's nothing more important than being available if something were to happen.

Pretty sad how life has changed in this regard. How did we ever get this far without cell phones?

Pretty sad how life has changed in this regard. How did we ever get this far without cell phones?
Life moves on and innovation helps it happen. I imagine the guy riding his horse and wagon into town lamented the first time a Ford drove past him. He no doubt complained that life was moving along too fast and the horse and wagon was more than enough.

I'll probably get a lot of abuse for this. I am curious what type of work those who are able to get out on the course while working actually do. I can see some jobs where it may strictly be an "on call" situation or where it is one's own business. Maybe because of my age, but back when I was in outside sales, I had occasion to play "customer golf" but my employer knew that is where I would be. However, were I to be out on the course just playing with friends because I could be reached by pager, years ago, or cell phone more recently I would feel guilty and feel that, in essence, I was stealing from my employer. When I reached management I expected my sales people to be doing what they were hired and paid to do, calling on customers and selling. I certainly don't mean to offend people. It is just that I am now retired I see so many young to middle aged guys playing day after day during the week and find it hard to believe that some of them are not playing "hooky" when they are supposed to be some place else.

I was one of the victims of abused cell phone use during a club championship. After two calls where I had to back off from shots because his phone rang or had to wait for him to complete his conversation it totally destroyed my rhythm and concentration. So my feeling has been, at least in the past, cell phones have no place on the course and if one needed to be that accessible maybe one shouldn't be playing golf. However, there is a difference between having a phone on the course for true "emergencies" and having the phone for accessibility. Are there really that many calls that have to be taken right away and can't wait until the turn or the completion of the round?

I'll probably get a lot of abuse for this. I am curious what type of work those who are able to get out on the course while working actually do. I can see some jobs where it may strictly be an "on call" situation or where it is one's own business. Maybe because of my age, but back when I was in outside sales, I had occasion to play "customer golf" but my employer knew that is where I would be. However, were I to be out on the course just playing with friends because I could be reached by pager, years ago, or cell phone more recently I would feel guilty and feel that, in essence, I was stealing from my employer. When I reached management I expected my sales people to be doing what they were hired and paid to do, calling on customers and selling. I certainly don't mean to offend people. It is just that I am now retired I see so many young to middle aged guys playing day after day during the week and find it hard to believe that some of them are not playing "hooky" when they are supposed to be some place else.

I have a job where I can manage my own schedule. If I get my work done, I can leave for the afternoon on occasion. However, I'm not going to turn off my cell phone because that's the price of that flexibility - if they truly need me I need to be willing to take the call and leave the course if necessary.

I was one of the victims of abused cell phone use during a club championship. After two calls where I had to back off from shots because his phone rang or had to wait for him to complete his conversation it totally destroyed my rhythm and concentration. So my feeling has been, at least in the past, cell phones have no place on the course and if one needed to be that accessible maybe one shouldn't be playing golf. However, there is a difference between having a phone on the course for true "emergencies" and having the phone for accessibility. Are there really that many calls that have to be taken right away and can't wait until the turn or the completion of the round?
I'm a 100% commission sales engineer. As long as I am hitting the numbers I want, I can do whatever I want.

I earn quite a bit of annual leave each month. Given that my wife doesn't get as much vacation time as I do, I have several days worth of vacation time that I can use for my own. Some of it gets eaten in baby-related stuff, but sometimes if its a nice day, I can hit the links. Plus weekday rates are cheaper. If people think I'm playing hooky, that's on them ... not me.

Field service engineer here. If the jobs on my schedule are done, and my customers are happy I can do as I please. That said, my cell is always on, on vibrate and I check it regularly as I field customer calls regularly. It's my job, I love it, and I make sure it doesn't bother anyone else or delay play.

I'm in outside sales, work out of the house, and as long as I'm hitting my numbers I can be almost anywhere and be considered "working" as long as I respond to customer calls and texts within about a half of a work day. I've hit my quota almost every year the last 25 years, including 2009, 2010, and 2011 when the economy tanked. For comparison, my division has his quota only 5 times in the last 12 years. Only one of the other reps in my sales branch has as good of track record so I don't feel guilty when I'm on the course. I like to think I'm working smart, not hard.

I do agree that any sort of cell phone interruption is a huge breach of etiquette. Our course doesn't allow them anywhere except the parking lot so if you use them on the course you better be a couple hundred yards away from other players and make sure you are not holding up play. I've been a member over 5 years and have only been within earshot of a cell phone conversation 4 times. Any blatant abusers quickly adjust their behavior after being fined $175 for a first offense and $350 for a second.

I'm an accountant by trade. And while I don't need my phone with me for work emergencies, there have been occasions where I was definitely glad I had my phone on me as it saved my boss and myself a lot of time and confusion by quickly responding. I've never let my phone interrupt other people, so I've never worried about having my phone with me.

As I've said before, it's not the cell phone itself that is the problem here, it is the people who abuse them on the course who cause problems. If you know how to use your phone politely and not disturb others, there shouldn't ever be a problem having your cell phone on you.

I'm an accountant by trade. And while I don't need my phone with me for work emergencies, there have been occasions where I was definitely glad I had my phone on me as it saved my boss and myself a lot of time and confusion by quickly responding. I've never let my phone interrupt other people, so I've never worried about having my phone with me.

As I've said before, it's not the cell phone itself that is the problem here, it is the people who abuse them on the course who cause problems. If you know how to use your phone politely and not disturb others, there shouldn't ever be a problem having your cell phone on you.

Agree 100%. Our club has the rule to force that 5% of the rude member population to behave. Nearly all of the working age golfers carry a cell phone while playing at our club but everyone has their ringers turned off and only make a call if it's absolutely necessary. There has only been about 10 fines handed out in the last few years and 2 guys were responsible for most of those fines. One of them is a state politician who thinks the rules don't apply to him. He finally got it when they told him they would suspend his membership for 30 days if he had another violation.

The Men's Club I used be in has a cell phone Condition of the Competition on their hard card. It states that during a competition, if a player's cell phone rings audibly, or if his conversation causes a distraction for the other players in his group, he is assessed a 2 stroke penalty - no appeal. For a second offense in the same tournament, he is disqualified. Once that rule was in effect, I never again heard a phone ring, nor did I ever notice anyone talking on the phone during the round. I did see guys texting a few times, but even that was not done excessively. I realize that a penalty threat is no solution for casual play, but it sure worked for tournaments.

I turn mine off completely when on the course, unless there is a specific reason that requires me to be reachable (rare). In that case, it's on vibrate or silent and I just check it regularly.

Back