Oregon School Tardiness Punishment...

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know, doesn't seem that extreme to me. Not saying it's the right thing to do but I have seen worse.

It's not the worst. But I don't think this is the right way to handle this.

I'd say my biggest issue is that it's not likely the 6 year olds fault that he's late. I don't really see what this achieves in general.

I feel bad for the kid that he's late because of the parents, wake up earlier or if you have an issue like a disease or car problems discuss it with the school. Problem is in most cases and I see this in my kids school all the time parents do what is easier for them and not what is supposed to be done.

I know the parents are accepting the blame for there son's tardiness but if he is only one or two minutes late as the mother stated, why don't they start there morning rountine 10 minutes earlier. That being said its not the worst punishment I have ever seen. The cardboard thing seems a bit excessive. You already secluded him from the other children, do you really need a cardboard wall?

Like pointed out, my only issue with it is it probably wasn't his fault at all. I have no problem with the punishment. I was always in trouble in elementary school for talking in class, and that would have been an effective punishment. Instead of taking her outrage to Facebook the mother should probably get out of bed in the morning.

If I worried about every single wrong done in this world, I'd have no time to raise my kids properly.

They lost me at every pity story for the family. I may be pessimistic on this one but they live less than 1 mile from the school and Mom has 'osteoporosis' issues that I don't buy. Detention is a good thing and the child's reaction to it is good but these patents are doing nothing to correct their issues

I'd say my biggest issue is that it's not likely the 6 year olds fault that he's late. I don't really see what this achieves in general.

I agree. Should have the parents behind the cardboard......

Honestly, I don't know how I would have reacted in this situation if that were my kid. I don't see this as excessive, but I also don't understand the punishment.

I've been through worse myself growing up. Perhaps that's why.

Less than a mile form the school and the parents can't get him to school on time? Not the worst but not the best way to handle it.

agree with the majority of the sentiments...the parents need to be put in detention. 6 year old can't control when he gets to school. Still...this is hardly the worth injustice i've seen.

Pretty harmless if you ask me. We care way too much about kids' feelings these days.

I just don't see treating a young child like that anywhere fair. Punish the parents but don't make the child suffer. It's hard enough being a kid sometimes.

Should it be handled differently? Probably. Worth the outrage and such? I don't think so, but that's me.

I used to have to sit on the wall at recess facing away from the playground while everyone saw me when something happened, wish social media was around then.

So let me get this straight-

Kids late to school- check

Kids punished for being late- check

Parents are upset because laziness is the reason their child is late and being punished. Parents throw out sob story because they don't like that their kid is being punished cause of their actions.

Media jumps in because it's an easy story about nothing.

My wife works at the schools and sees parents all the time who expect the rules and policies to be ignored or bent because they don't want to do their jobs as parents. You made a choice to become a parent now it's time to deal with that choice and be a parent and do what is necessary to raise your kid right and give them the best you can.

To these two idiots apologize to your son for making him go to detention at lunch and make sure he is at school 10 mins early so he doesn't have to serve another detention the rest of the year.

So to you who say punish the parents. How in the world do you do that?

The Grants Pass School District issued a statement saying it "is taking the concerns raised very seriously," and the punishment "was never intended to isolate or stigmatize students."

Never intended to "isolate" ? What the heck would you call that cardboard wall ?

I have some ex-inlaws in the Grants Pass area. Some people there are just a little bit, ok a whole lot of ....well, I will leave that alone.

To me it is much ado about nothing. Once again the press and internet media blow everything out of proportion.

Whats weird to me is that separation from the group is considered punishment, as if individuality is a negative and membership in the group is the goal. I definitely dont like what this teaches the kid. Explains a bunch.

That is nucking futs!

So let me get this straight-

Kids late to school- check

Kids punished for being late- check

Parents are upset because laziness is the reason their child is late and being punished. Parents throw out sob story because they don't like that their kid is being punished cause of their actions.

Media jumps in because it's an easy story about nothing.

My wife works at the schools and sees parents all the time who expect the rules and policies to be ignored or bent because they don't want to do their jobs as parents. You made a choice to become a parent now it's time to deal with that choice and be a parent and do what is necessary to raise your kid right and give them the best you can.

To these two idiots apologize to your son for making him go to detention at lunch and make sure he is at school 10 mins early so he doesn't have to serve another detention the rest of the year.
Boy, I see this whenever I go to these Children's museum or activity center's and parents who are completely disengaged and disinterested in their child - pretty much sitting on the sidelines and on their phones. At least keep an eye on your kid, because they do misbehave ya know!

There is a degree where the parents feel guilty but do not want to have their kid's tardiness blamed on them, rather focus attention on the school and the "punishment' their child received.
Passing the buck and wanting others to overlook the parents's transgressions.
Tomorrrow it will be something else...

Whats weird to me is that separation from the group is considered punishment, as if individuality is a negative and membership in the group is the goal. I definitely dont like what this teaches the kid. Explains a bunch.
That's not really it.

It's about having children socialize. They learn from each other. they learn to talk to one anothet, because they are more comfortable with people their own size. They learn to share. Kids in general advance best when they have interaction with other kids. Forcing a person to be isolated is cruel, especially when it's the parents' fault the kid was late.

Back