Playing in cold weather! Any tips?

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
My group has first tee time weekdays. Our general rule of thumb is we don't play if the temperature at tee time is below 40°. Still, playing in the low 40's, with any kind of breeze or wind pushes the wind chill down into the 30's! As a result of being layered up and cold, with my shoulders up by my ears, my golf swing has totally disappeared - with everything from driver through all the irons. The only thing I am still doing well is chipping (to a degree) and putting. I expect to lose distance and even have shots come up short in cold weather but it is the total lack of a swing that is so frustrating as I can't seem to make solid contact.

Any ideas or tips in how to get back a decent swing in the cold weather?

I'm not really sure it's related, but having those "hot hands" available makes an enormous difference for me. I feel like my connection with the clubs is better.

Also, more efficient layering means less layers in total, and while it takes away some of my extra rotation, as long as I am stretching before the round I can usually move around the ball pretty good.

I'm not really sure it's related, but having those "hot hands" available makes an enormous difference for me. I feel like my connection with the clubs is better.

Also, more efficient layering means less layers in total, and while it takes away some of my extra rotation, as long as I am stretching before the round I can usually move around the ball pretty good.
I literally bought a case at Sam's last night.

My best advice is this; reschedule.

Fleece cart mittens are a must for cold weather.

having spent a ton of time outdoors (due to my profession) through the years cold weather doesn't bother me too much. That said I am however getting older and also not outdoors as much so its beginning to get to me lol.

Like you said its more the wind that makes things worse. I don't even like wind when its warm. It just annoys me.lol

But anyway, as for golf the key of course is to stay lose. Stretching and dressing lose is all you can do. Clothing needs to be a lose fit. Nothing worse than bunched up clothing interfering with the swing, arms etc. . Thin body hugging inner layer (think under armor or similar) and thin second layer too and lose, light wind breaking outer layer is all I do. Stretch and keep the body moving as best I can. A winter hat always great as most body heat escapes through the head. Keep swinging loosely even as waiting for others to hit etc (without interfering of course). Imo the key is to stay as fluid as possible. But I mean when/if its just too cold what can ya do? You stay home or do the best you can in trying to not let it bother you. Once its in your head its over imo. Granted sometimes you just cant help it and the body is just too cold. Expect distance loss of course especially the longer the club the more loss of distance.

Similar to you I will play if temps are expected to be in the 40's but have tee'd off in the upper 30's. High winds expected I wont bother even going. But sunny and mild winds I have no issue in the 40's. But as each year passes I begin to get less tolerant. lol

Layers and a skull cap

Ditto on the hot hands....they are a must

Rain gloves work to keep the hands warmer and better grip.

It almost sounds like you have too much stuff on, and, it could be impeding your swing. You may need to experiment with different layer combinations to see what works best for you and your swing. Practice with what you are going to wear, before using it in play. I wear 3 layers - base layer, thin insulation layer, and, a rain/wind proof layer on top.

layers, cold weather gloves, knit cap, hot hands, cart heater etc.

Thin layers work for me. Under Armour cold gear long sleeve compression shirt. Colorful golf polo. Good quarter zip. Warm golf pants. Winter golf gloves. Hot hands. I actually think my iron game improves when I dress like this. I can dress like this and handle 35 or so with a very light breeze.

Covered carts with heaters make it a breeze!

Layer up, left and right gloves, beanie to cover head and ears, hot tea or coffee in a thermal would be helpful, hot packs in both pockets, plastic or steel tees would help when the ground is frozen. :banana:

Good socks - make sure your feet are warm and dry.

Personally, I have a high metabolism so if I have too many layers I'll overheat and sweat (which then starts nature's cycle of cooling). I'd rather be a hair cooler than overheat. Typically, I'll wear a moisture wicking tee shirt, a waffle knit, a not too bulky fleece and a windbreaker shell. The combo restricts movement a bit but not too badly. Believe it or not but a scarf works well. I remember the first time I golfed with a scarf. I thought it would get in the way and after 18 I realized I had totally forgotten it was on. When it gets cold, winter golf gloves are great (when it starts to get warm I am almost disappointed to go back to a regular glove). Thermos with something warm to drink is great for getting some heat back into your body. I like an ear band to keep the ears/head warm. I have a full head of hair so a cap makes me hot headed ;).

wrong thread... sorry

Last edited:
Everyone above has good information. I just accept that the game will be different and I don't compare a cold weather round to a fair weather round.

Under Armor cold gear compression top and bottoms with a winter weight 1/4 zip and pants. I try to get a 1/4 zip with pockets to put my hands in and I'm usually plenty warm for 40* golf. The clothes are still pretty thin and don't restrict my golf swing very much. I usually just play a couple clubs longer on approach shots and live with what I can get off the tee. It's winter golf, but at least it's golf.

Lower compression golf balls (in my region urethane becomes less important during wet winter months)

Hot pocket hand warmers

Layer your clothes

I prefer 3/4 sleeve type jackets over full sleeve rain jackets, it just feels like I can turn better

Controlled 3/4 type swings with more club than usual

Lots of good tips, fellas! Thanks for all the suggestions. I have gloves, the kind with a slot so you don;t have to take them off the grip the club, knit cap, earmuffs, etc. I guess I need get those hand warmers and look into thinner but more thermal-type layers. One of the problems that I find myself fighting is if I am the slightest bit cold I tend to hunch my shoulders which often leads to poor ball striking and a lot of thin shots.

I bought these on accident last hunting season and now use them for golf. I will either put one on my chest or lower back and it keeps my core warm without having to bulk up.
b4178fb697d5796c05833df182ee3818.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Underwear and a compression shirt
Thick wool socks and waterproof shoes
Polo, 1/4 Zip sweater, and then a nice fleece sweater that zips up around your neck
Wool toque that covers your ears
Mittens on the Clicgear, keep hands in pockets as much as possible, when hands are exposed make sure you're always moving your fingers to keep the blood flowing

The above has kept me nice and warm playing at -10 Celsius, and you can always shed layers if it warms up.

One of the problems that I find myself fighting is if I am the slightest bit cold I tend to hunch my shoulders which often leads to poor ball striking and a lot of thin shots.

Roger that! JMN57's suggestion of a good scarf is key to avoiding hunching. I have one in my golf bag at all times. That and a good knit hat are great non-restrictive ways to keep warmer.

Layers, hand warmers, cart mittens, and a steaming hot beverage usually does the trick.
Heavier socks and long underwear can help too.

Back