Playing in cold weather! Any tips?

Purchase some winter golf gloves, FootJoy makes a great pair. I use those and a base layer that I use for skiing. It's lightweight and keeps me warm without the bulk. I wear ski socks and my golf pants and either a long sleeve polo or regular polo. A Northface or similar jacket and a warm hat. Base layers can be cheap or expensive. Find something in your budget but you get what you pay for. A decent ski shop will have both.

One other thing. I like shells that have pit zips for ventilation and they also reduce the restriction of the jacket.

I bought some merino wool base layers for the winter and so far they are working out great. I got them for golf but have been wearing them ALL the time. Got minus33 tops and bottoms in light and midweight. I rarely wash them because they NEVER stink. I hand wash with woolite when i do. The lightweight is good down to 50* and below that i use the midweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleece lined pants, thinsulate golf gloves, beanie, layers on top - turtle neck, 1/4 zip pull over, and fleece. Enough clothing to stay warm if you keep moving, but not too many clothes that it should significantly effect your movement and swing.

waffle QUOTE]

yes, bring premade waffle mix and a battery operated waffle maker...lol
Cook them puppies up while you make your way around. Some hot milked coacoa in a thermos along with fresh smelling hot waffles and well......you got he idea ....sounds good no? Making me hungry now.

Okay...it's literally -22F air temp while I write this :)bulgy-eyes:), so I think my perspective on cold weather is pretty good. First and foremost, if you have the option walk you should absolutely do so to keep the body moving. Most have already talked bout how important good cart mittens and hand warmers are, so I'll skip those.

I used to wear compression layers like UA heat gear on my upper body, but stopped doing that a couple of years ago for two reasons. First, I find it easier to swing and stay loose when I don't have the resistance of the stretchy fabric to deal with. Second, and probably more important, I find that looser layers are better because the air between the skin and the fabric will be warmer and act as an insulator. With the skin tight layer, you just end up with cold fabric on the skin.

What I usually end up with is wearing a long sleeve golf shirt covered by long sleeve outer layer (eg., adidas climawarm+). This allows me to swing freely, but between shots I'll wear a jacket of some type, maybe a winter coat when its in the 30s. However, I've found that simply wearing my rain jacket is good enough for most rounds. On the lower body, I'll usually just wear golf pants covered by rain pants, but if it's really cold I'll add a pair of UA heat gear long johns underneath.

What many people often overlook are their feet. If you're in a northern climate like myself, early spring or late fall rounds can occur when the ground temps are pretty cold and you don't want that cold to transfer up through your feet. I like to wear a pair of shoes that is a half size too big so that I can wear two pairs of socks (usually a thin sock first, then a thicker one outside of it). This is a bit of trial and error, however, because the last thing you want is for your feet to start sweating too much. I also recommend wearing a shoe that has some sort of full length cushion (eg, adidas boost) to act as an insulation layer.

My wife got me two pair of those 35 Below socks. They are thin, thin enough to wear under another pair of socks and still get shoes on, use aluminum fibers, and seem to work well. They don't get warm or cause sweating, they just keep the cold out.

Back