Off the Green Putting

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How far off the green will you look at putting? Assuming the grass is not rough and there are no major obstacles, what are your chances of grabbing your flat stick?

Usually about 10 yards is the max I will attempt.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How far off the green will you look at putting? Assuming the grass is not rough and there are no major obstacles, what are your chances of grabbing your flat stick?

I remember The Golden Bear himself learning from Arnold Palmer that if he can putt if from off the green then he will putt it. I have begun to use this method earlier this year and I typically will putt anywhere from 1" to 3' off the green depending on the amount of green I have to work with. I like putting rather than chipping when I short side myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 feet or so.if the pin is a long way away I'll putt 10% if the pin is close I'll putt 80%.

I've started to default to my putter as much as possible in those situations, and I usually end up in a better position as a result. I'll use my putter up to 15ish feet out if I think it will put me in a better position than chipping.

• Admin
I remember The Golden Bear himself learning from Arnold Palmer that if he can putt if from off the green then he will putt it. I have begun to use this method earlier this year and I typically will putt anywhere from 1" to 3' off the green depending on the amount of green I have to work with. I like putting rather than chipping when I short side myself.

That is where the inspiration came from honestly. Reading something about this from the greats, that less moving parts the better, assuming obstacles like bad grass are not in the way.

That is where the inspiration came from honestly. Reading something about this from the greats, that less moving parts the better, assuming obstacles like bad grass are not in the way.

Yea I have yet to stub a shot from my putter lol

This is one of my mental hurdles. I NEVER pull my flatstick when I am anywhere off of the green or fringe.

This is my jam.
Anywhere from greenside to 20 yards or so.. and as far back as 40 yards.
Obviously obstacles will change those options but if i have a nice flat and dry path im going to putt from long distance

Yea I have yet to stub a shot from my putter lol

I was listening to something it was pretty mind blowing. They tested amateurs with the wedge and putter on the same shot and the putter was closer by 43% and saved almost a full stroke a hole.

Now it was a small sample of less than 20 golfers over a small sample of 6 rounds of golf, but that is pretty staggering.

Usually only from the fringe and no more than a few yards off.

This is my jam.
Obviously obstacles will change those options but if i have a nice flat and dry path im going to putt from long distance

40 yards?!?! Wow don't argue with a 5x hof'er

Honestly, I have played rounds where if I can putt it up there from within 30 yards or so. Keep it on the ground, take the unknown out of the equation, and give it a good knock.

The X-Act Tank Chipper has tended to stop that for me though. If I would normally putt it, now I will usually X-Act it in tight.

Worst putt will always be better than my worst chip.

This is my jam.

If your putting from 20-40 yards you should really try using a hybrid or fairway wood. I have done this before with a lot of success due to the extra loft.

If your putting from 20-40 yards you should really try using a hybrid or fairway wood. I have done this before with a lot of success due to the extra loft.

Hogwash pringles...if im "putting" in using putter duh.
But i hear ya TroyFL is a wizard with his hybo greenside

Not usually more than 2 or 3 yards off the putting surface. Not really as a personal preference, but because the fringe and run-up is unlikely to be anything close to smooth leading up to the green.

Usually from just off the putting surface on the fringe. I feel more comfortable with chip than I do a putt. I know they say a bad putt will end up better than I bad chip but I struggle with putting and chipping is my stronger suit.

If I have rough, probably three feet off the green. If I have fairway, I may go up to 20 feet.

I subscribe to the old saying, "Your worst putt is better than your worst chip."

That stroke a hole stat is stunning and something I need to keep in mind next year.

Hogwash pringles...if im "putting" in using putter duh.
But i hear ya TroyFL is a wizard with his hybo greenside

Well if you decide to use the putter please be nice to that new Betti you got! Don't want her to get dinged up due to a 20-40 yes putt lol

Well if you decide to use the putter please be nice to that new Betti you got! Don't want her to get dinged up due to a 20-40 yes putt lol

Oh yeah for sure.
I have used a betti out of sand though before ;)

maybe 3-6" depending on the grass and the distance to the pin. I always seem to end up going well past when I putt from the fringe. I used to always use my 58* for chipping but have been using my PW unless I am really short sided and it has been working out much better. Simpler motion very similar to a putting stroke with the PW is something I wish I would have started doing years ago.

Like many amateurs I thought I was the exception and was better with my lob wedge... turns out I was wrong!

Oh yeah for sure.
I have used a betti out of sand though before ;)

I might have seen that done in Michigan a couple years ago lol might not of been a betti but you did get it close lol

3 feet max at my home course. The grass off the fringe is not condusive to putting through. I do not play enough elsewhere to where I even think about, consider or feel comfortable with pulling the putter from further away when on other courses.

Back