Cast vs Forged - Care Of Irons

I treat them the same they are tools of the game if your forged irons look perfect they are either new or you don't play much

I treat them the same they are tools of the game if your forged irons look perfect they are either new or you don't play much

Or some of us take better care of our equipment?

I mean that's not too far fetched is it?

Have always used forged irons and always use iron covers. Keeps all dents / dings off the clubs except the occasional ones on the sole from a small pebble or such in the ground when taking divots. Always wipe off the face after shots.

Weird, but I'm anal about my driver/woods/hybrids and never go without head covers, but with irons, I like the chatter and the nicks/scrapes give them character. No iron head covers for me.

I play well over 100 rounds a year and my clubs look mintb because I take care of them better than most. They'd look far worse if I actually ever practiced but I don't.

The worst is hitting wet range balls with sand on them.

I don't know how to prevent club chatter, ball marks ,scratches, dings, ect other than mounting your brand new set of forged or cast irons on the wall and never touch them again.

Forged - I had initially used covers for transport but have realised that this is useless since all the cosmetic damage to the club comes from when you are playing your round, when your bag is being driven around on the buggy !!!!! Man does that scratch and ding your clubs good ! (I do not use iron covers whilst playing).

Marks on the face can mostly be prevented .. just make sue you wipe down after shots where possible to prevent nicks on the face. As for dings and scratches on the soles .. well ... they are meant to be used and they do hit the ground.

That should keep them in pretty good nick.

The worst is hitting wet range balls with sand on them.

The range near me is about the worst for this. There's a ton of sand there.

Do any THPer's keep irons long enough for bag chatter to really matter?? I actually like the looks of clubs that have a lot of bag chatter. Of course I haven't used a putter cover in 25 years. :act-up:

My problem with covers is it hides the beauty of the irons. I love looking at my bag during the round :) it's like ugly seat covers cover beautiful leather seats!

This problem is why I try to spread my impacts out across the face.

That sir... is signature worthy, well done!

Getting back on topic, I've had my first set of forged irons for about 4 months. I've noticed the face finish rust very slightly, I keep them clean almost religiously and keep my clubs inside aswell.

In my experience, the face browning is caused from hitting a lot of balls over a long period of time. I don't know that any care you give them will change that. It might hold it off for a while, but if you hit thousands of balls, the face will just get naturally worn down and look different.

As for the other stuff, the nicks and scrapes will happen, that's just golf, no point in worrying about it too much. Back when I played tennis, the first thing I would do with a new racquet was to put a nice scrape on it somewhere. I got so worried about not marking up a new racquet, I forgot to play, so I just took care of the worry right off the bat.

Do any THPer's keep irons long enough for bag chatter to really matter?? I actually like the looks of clubs that have a lot of bag chatter. Of course I haven't used a putter cover in 25 years. :act-up:
This is probably true for the majority of THPers.
Covers hide the beauty of the NEW irons from the wife. I love looking at my bag during the round :) it's like ugly seat covers cover beautiful leather seats!

Slight FIFY based on tahoebum's post and possible personal experience. I use magnetic headcovers on my irons, both forged and cast, since I do not like the sound of the clubheads clanking together and the resulting dings. The fact that my irons always look the same while in my bag is just a bonus. :angel:

Back