TomTom Golfer GPS Watch - THP Review

just snagged one off the bay (white/green). looking forward to this being here in the week - two weeks.

I bet I was looking at the same one you were on ebay. I didn't bid on it, still waiting to hear people's thoughts first. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it

~Rock

I bet I was looking at the same one you were on ebay. I didn't bid on it, still waiting to hear people's thoughts first. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it

~Rock

O,figured for the price it beats most of what's out there and from initial thoughts by Dan from the show and with the one he has I figured I can't go wrong. If it's goo enough to keep my range finder in the bag that's a bonus, especially around the greens when I'm off to the side and want to know distance

Nice Erik, be interested to hear your feedback on these. They are on my radar as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price I couldn't resist.

well done dude!!!! That's awesome. Really excited to hear your thoughts.

I can't wait to put it to use...looks like you, me and greggdrews will be waiting several more weeks til mom nature cooperates

I can't wait to put it to use...looks like you, me and greggdrews will be waiting several more weeks til mom nature cooperates

Not to worry dude, I'll have on course thoughts very soon.

Not to worry dude, I'll have on course thoughts very soon.

Having had some not so good times with other gps watches, I'm interested to hear how you like this one.

Interesting. Based on previous experience with a TomTom gps (bad), will be looking forward to some user feedback.

Interesting. Based on previous experience with a TomTom gps (bad), will be looking forward to some user feedback.

I believe it has the same GPS chip as the TomTom Runner and Multisport. Both of those get great reviews for GPS coverage and accuracy. Granted running and cycling doesn't require the same type of accuracy, but there are a lot of runners who are extremely anal about the distances they run. I have a Multisport and it does well IMO. I've compared it to my old Garmin Edge 305 and my iphone (4s, 5s, 6 Plus) and it is at least as accurate.

Whats it like playing with one of these? Just something you get use to? I know jlukes has one and I've seen him play with it. I like have as little things on me as possible, I love my callaway upro cause it was so small and light but that is pretty much obsolete unfortunately. Debating on something like this or a range finder.

Whats it like playing with one of these? Just something you get use to? I know jlukes has one and I've seen him play with it. I like have as little things on me as possible, I love my callaway upro cause it was so small and light but that is pretty much obsolete unfortunately. Debating on something like this or a range finder.

I guess it depends on your preference in terms of wearing a watch when you play. I think the TomTom offers a similar enough profile unlike a handful of the other GPS watches that stick out further around the face.

Weight is a non factor.

More thoughts when I get home but I don't wear a watch ever and I don't notice it at all while playing.

vo6hdc.jpg

More thoughts when I get home but I don't wear a watch ever and I don't notice it at all while playing.

vo6hdc.jpg

Really liking the looks, can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I believe it has the same GPS chip as the TomTom Runner and Multisport. Both of those get great reviews for GPS coverage and accuracy. Granted running and cycling doesn't require the same type of accuracy, but there are a lot of runners who are extremely anal about the distances they run. I have a Multisport and it does well IMO. I've compared it to my old Garmin Edge 305 and my iphone (4s, 5s, 6 Plus) and it is at least as accurate.

Great info, thanks.

In retrospect I should have probably read the manual before going out. With that being said, I didn't really have a huge problem figuring out how to work the watch and only a few screens and symbols were unclear. This is my first golf watch though so maybe it would make more sense to some of you. I was a little apprehensive with using it because I wasn't sure how cumbersome the software might be or if it would take me out of my game to stop and get distracted by all the information. The only thing similar I have used before were several different apps for my cell phone and I had similar issues with information overload. All in all it was a really terrific experience to be able to glance down and see what club I was near, swing and move on.

There were a couple features I ignored such as the fitness breakdown (I was riding) and the scorecard (pencil and paper is faster). I also kept the backlight off the entire day, until I wanted to take a few more pictures inside (it does seem a little unresponsive to me but I might be tapping in the wrong place).

Battery after 18 holes. Picked up a straggler for the second 9 which slowed my pace a little but I can probably get 3 solo rounds on one charge.
c0uqb.jpg

This is the hazards screen which did give me some grief, I assume the check mark means no more hazards between me and the hole but there were definitely a couple holes where this was wrong. I just realized I also didn't figure out if the 0 was my location or the tee location (meaning if there's water at 150, is that 150 from the tee or 150 from where I am at my second shot).
2mpe884.jpg

Yardage to the markers, I'm capable of simple arithmetic but I guess it's nice on the fly.
103d8o2.jpg

Showing the green, a few holes had water lines on the side of the green that had water but were missing any info about bunkers. Green shape was represented appropriately.
14t3dqe.jpg

Indoors no backlight for reference
iodixv.jpg

So take from that what you will. I played a local muni in a small town so I would guess many of my map dysfunctions are attributable to that but who knows.

All very helpful stuff thanks

Thanks for your feedback miek. I know i read somewhere in the tomtom forums that not all hazards on all courses have been mapped. A simple request to tomtom would probably fix that.

How was the visibility in sunlight? Did the yardages seem accurate?

~Rock

I guess it depends on your preference in terms of wearing a watch when you play. I think the TomTom offers a similar enough profile unlike a handful of the other GPS watches that stick out further around the face.

Weight is a non factor.

Thanks man. Honestly, I've never worn a watch on the course. I like the idea simply because I don't like having stuff in my pocket when I play besides a tee or two and a ball marker. I was thinking about one of these or just putting a range finder in the bag.

Thanks for your feedback miek. I know i read somewhere in the tomtom forums that not all hazards on all courses have been mapped. A simple request to tomtom would probably fix that.

How was the visibility in sunlight? Did the yardages seem accurate?

~Rock

I was hoping that was the case with the maps, thanks I'll look into it! I never had any problems viewing the watch in or out of the cart and it was a surprisingly clear day yesterday. In direct sunlight it's not kindle e-ink easy but not cell phone on 0 brightness either (those are the two most extreme examples I can think of). I would relate it to reading a normal digital wrist watch but the pictures I posted from outside are accurate interpretations. As far as the GPS goes I really never even second guessed it. There was one hole where I was leaning to grab my ball from the cup and noticed the watch said 4yd still but as this is my first watch I'm not entirely sure where they post the yardage to.. front, middle, back I assume. Standing over a 100yd marker would probably have been a better test, hindsight is 20/20 and all.

Hopefully Canadan can chime in and suggest whether there are significant functional upgrades over a watch someone might already have. Form is a solid 5/5 for me.

Any more thoughts on this? Or is everyone waiting for Spring to arrive next week like I am? Golf is right around the corner (this weekend for me), and I need to lighten my wallet a little.

~Rock

Any more thoughts on this? Or is everyone waiting for Spring to arrive next week like I am? Golf is right around the corner (this weekend for me), and I need to lighten my wallet a little.

~Rock

I am nearly complete with my review, but I'll throw a few spoiler thoughts in here when I am finished. In the end, it is probably one of the best GPS watches I've come in contact with, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone in the hunt for one. The features it provides are very impressive, and it will last consistently through more than a round and a half of golf which I think is on par with most (and makes sense considering the size).

Thanks, can't wait for that full review!

~Rock

I just read where smart watches are being outsold 3to 1 by fit bands. I would them golf GPS would be the exception to that. This looks really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am nearly complete with my review, but I'll throw a few spoiler thoughts in here when I am finished. In the end, it is probably one of the best GPS watches I've come in contact with, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone in the hunt for one. The features it provides are very impressive, and it will last consistently through more than a round and a half of golf which I think is on par with most (and makes sense considering the size).

makes me happy about my purchase and cant wait for it to show up.

The watch showed up today and I am impressed with the band and how comfortable it is. I like the square face a lot better than the round face on the Garmin.

Back