Callaway XR Hybrid Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nice golf club. I'm not sure I'd go upgrading from my X2 if I was going to have to spend money on it, but if I was hybrid shopping it would be towards the top of the list.

I love the X2 Hots, so appreciate the feedback and comparison to those. I was not planning to replace them unless something absolutely groundbreaking came out, so looks like I will be sticking with them for a while.

I have surprisingly struggled with the 3H XR over the past 7 rounds. Can honestly say I have not had 1 good strike with it, mostly hitting the ball with a low trajectory and more often I'm weakly slicing it. Neither flight is my usual miss. My last round I tried out a 915H in the 3H and saw better results, back to a higher ball flight that held its line. I'm going to see if I can try the XR in a the Aldilia Blue, that shaft worked for me with the X2Hot Hybrid.

after seeing JBs post in another thread i need to hit this. i thought the nike flex would be my only hybrid purchase this year other than my U45 ponder.

after seeing JBs post in another thread i need to hit this. i thought the nike flex would be my only hybrid purchase this year other than my U45 ponder.
Hit em all and find the one dude, some fantastic stuff out right now.

Hit em all and find the one dude, some fantastic stuff out right now now.

no doubt. this year is unbelievable in how many good products are out there for the consumer. There is definitely something in the every area that the consumer can enjoy this year. If someone cant find something they like they aren't looking hard enough.

Definitely see two bags worth of clubs in my possession this year...im such a "ho".

No lie. I just watched a guy hit this 265 yards carry. Jeez.

b796a8c97dc2dd9f420f398d73d63e9d.jpg

First one is xr.

Well, I guess that wasn't as impressive as I expected it to be lol. I was rather blown away, as was the guy that did it. Full 10 yards longer than another 19° hybrid (the second set of numbers in the pic above), mainly due to launch angle.

His results in that regard did mirror mine - this one seems to launch the ball just a little lower than some others I've hit recently (though for me it's not quite as different as it was for him). I am a little leery of saying that just because I think it can be taken wrong or in a negative light. It's what it is and as you can see, it was a very positive thing for him. For me, it delivers peak height a couple yards lower than my 'normal' and doesn't really impact distance in a positive or negative way.

Regardless, he got on the phone the minute after he hit it and asked our instructor/fitter to find him one.

Just recently got a chance to demo one of these on the course and for me, after only one swing, knew it wasn't for me. Just the x2hot version, the combination of offset and shaft flex just made it so I couldn't play it without having to manipulate my hands so much that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a solid test drive last night I think I'll stick this in the bag to start the season.

Sweet sound at impact and delivered good trajectory for me. Well struck shots had some height to them and low face shots wern't that far behind distance wise, which back up what I saw on the monitor. Easy to hit from the turf as well, which in a 3h can be hit or miss for me.

I'd toyed with the idea of putting a distance oriented 3h in the bag, ideally for tee shots and the occasional long approach or layup. Then moving to a higher/super easy to hit 4h that I could double as a 5 iron replacement with some choking down. Seemed to me that it was a pretty solid idea, so I'll go with it for awhile here.

After a solid test drive last night I think I'll stick this in the bag to start the season.

Sweet sound at impact and delivered good trajectory for me. Well struck shots had some height to them and low face shots wern't that far behind distance wise, which back up what I saw on the monitor. Easy to hit from the turf as well, which in a 3h can be hit or miss for me.

I'd toyed with the idea of putting a distance oriented 3h in the bag, ideally for tee shots and the occasional long approach or layup. Then moving to a higher/super easy to hit 4h that I could double as a 5 iron replacement with some choking down. Seemed to me that it was a pretty solid idea, so I'll go with it for awhile here.

I like the sounds of that. That is pretty similar to a setup I've decided to run with early in the season.

Got the chance to demo the 3H today out side vs my X2hot 3H. The XR might have been a hair more forgiving on heel shots but overall not enough improvement to make me give up my X2hots. If I didn't already own the X2hots I would add the XRs to the bag though.

Pondering to upgrade from X2hot to XR. any real difference between the two shafts Aldila Blue and Project X in terms of launch and ball flight? Is the PX 5.5 comparable to The Aldila Blue regular flex or slightly stiffer? Thanks

I'm really struggling getting altitude out of the XR, I have a 3 and 4 and they haven't made the bag yet. My shot is a low stinger which is not what I'm accustomed to with a hybrid.

Pondering to upgrade from X2hot to XR. any real difference between the two shafts Aldila Blue and Project X in terms of launch and ball flight? Is the PX 5.5 comparable to The Aldila Blue regular flex or slightly stiffer? Thanks

5.5 is R flex. They don't play abnormally stiff or anything in my opinion. Pretty vanilla.

I'm really struggling getting altitude out of the XR, I have a 3 and 4 and they haven't made the bag yet. My shot is a low stinger which is not what I'm accustomed to with a hybrid.

I launch it a little lower than some others, but height is still a little above average for me with a 3 hybrid.

5.5 is R flex. They don't play abnormally stiff or anything in my opinion. Pretty vanilla.

I launch it a little lower than some others, but height is still a little above average for me with a 3 hybrid.

Mine are winging their way back from Callaway after putting the Aldilia Blue in them - I had good luck with that shaft in the X2Hot

FWIW, Project X refers to their 5.5 as stiff flex and their 6.0 as S+. 6.5 is X and 7.0 as X+

Mine are winging their way back from Callaway after putting the Aldilia Blue in them - I had good luck with that shaft in the X2Hot

Yea I just bought a Tour Red, which is even a little more tip soft than the Blue. I put that in the 2 Hot last year and it seemed to really work for me and I figured why not. Very modest price on the pull.

I had a similar experience. Not quite a stinger, but a low boring flight. I loved the look and the feel, but didn't feel I could hit it into greens, even though distance was great. Great club for some but the 915 gave me the flight I needed..

Yea I just bought a Tour Red, which is even a little more tip soft than the Blue. I put that in the 2 Hot last year and it seemed to really work for me and I figured why not. Very modest price on the pull.

Thanks, I honestly didn't know about the tour red

FWIW, Project X refers to their 5.5 as stiff flex and their 6.0 as S+. 6.5 is X and 7.0 as X+

Yea that's a good point. I was just going by how Cally is classifying them and it certainly doesn't seem as if it's an overly stiff shaft in 6.0.

Thanks, I honestly didn't know about the tour red

Not a lot out there about them in the aftermarket, but they were in the Adams Pro hybrids last year.

I had a similar experience. Not quite a stinger, but a low boring flight. I loved the look and the feel, but didn't feel I could hit it into greens, even though distance was great. Great club for some but the 915 gave me the flight I needed..

Your experience is identical to mine - I'm playing a 915 (occasionally) that has a much higher ball flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back